[UH Basketball] Alika Smith ... not on Nash's coaching team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [UH Basketball] Alika Smith ... not on Nash's coaching team

Citing that Nash wanted seasoned coaches on his staff, he made a difficult decision NOT to renew Smith's contract (expiring June 2007).

Is that good or bad?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: [UH Basketball] Alika Smith ... not on Nash's coaching team

It's Nash's prerogative. I would have preferred that he retain Smith to work with the guards for at least another year.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      It's Nash's prerogative. I would have preferred that he retain Smith to work with the guards for at least another year.
      Yes...it's Nash's wateva's. But. Just like oceanpacific, I too feel he should have had the courtesy to retain him for at least another year. At least give him a chance. We see it again...people change and forget where they come from.

Das ok. Alika Smith will rise from this.

He's one strong/smart/talented Local Boy!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Good to see that Nash is his own man.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil View Post
          Good to see that Nash is his own man.
          Yepper. Good luck Alika.

Comment

First off Riley Wallace's replacement should have been made a year ago as they knew he was leaving. Because of this snafu by Frazier they have lost recruits, how can you actively recruit when you have no head coach. How can a HS player and his family commit to something the University hadnt already committed to yet and that is finding a head coach. Dumb. And if they were going to hire Nash all along why did it take so long? Was Frazier waiting for some high profile coach to take the UH job after his team was ousted from the recent NCAA Tournament? Henry Bibby was one of the finalists I heard, he was out of coaching, so again they could have had this all lined up and figured out already.

I understand that Alika was out recruiting players which probably was a difficult thing to do considering his contract was up and he had no idea who the head coach would be and if he would be retained or not. Suppsedly Nash was not recruiting at all. Strange.

Bad move by Nash, I gather Alika's younger brother was also not retained as equipment manager as well.

My wife taught at Kalaheo and knew Pete very well and even had his kids in her class.

I wonder what experienced assistant Nash wants; some experienced local high school coach or somebody from the mainland?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
            X