Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Mini Concepts

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=120269#8

I like that Chevy Beat, looks to be a good work commuter if they can build it cheap, reliable (last 100k miles with little fixing except maintenance), and good gas mileage.

Re: Chevy Mini Concepts

I'm glad minicars are coming back, but I can't say as I care much for Chevy's design. I'm holding out for a SmartForTwo.
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

About time we start going by way of Europe and Asia. They all got some neat little cars running around over there.

This is all fine and dandy so long as they keep the price down so that most of the masses can afford them. Like getting them back down to under the 10grand mark. What's the point in building high mileage mini's or hybrids when only the folks with higher incomes can afford them?

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
        I'm glad minicars are coming back, but I can't say as I care much for Chevy's design. I'm holding out for a SmartForTwo.
        The Smart cars seem overpriced. Starting under $12k usually means $12k. If the Beat can be as cheap as Chevy's Aveo or even cheaper, I think they really can sell it well, especially now that GM has the whole 100k warranty to improve it's image. Oh yeah, that Beat concept was built in India, hmm, wonder what the production cost for that would be if it was sourced from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
          About time we start going by way of Europe and Asia. They all got some neat little cars running around over there.
          I could not agree more. The US seems to be the only nation that craves large gas guzzlers. I admit, I have 2 old lead sleds, but they are more toys, then daily drivers.

I like the concepts. I hope they catch on.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Back in the 80's, Honda came out with their first mini car, a Civic. They were called the Honda Civic CVCC (controlled vortex combustion chamber) and only came in yellow and orange and were front wheel drive. They were rated at 28 to 32 mpg with the 5 spd. Great little cars and was priced so everyone could afford them. Can't remember what the price was, but for some reason $4000 comes to mind. Was probably a little less?

The became popular for road racing and had lots of aftermarket racing parts available. I had mine set up with aftermarket carb and exhaust and managed to squeeze out 38 mpg with a larger carberator. Well, it wasn't mega mileage, but was darned good for it's time and that was with a 1.5 liter engine.

With them smaller motors and current tech, they should be able to squeeze 50 or 60+ mpg from these new concept cars. Won't be ready for another 4 years to make another investment in a car, but hope there's a plethora of choices available by then, from different companies.

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post

someone on oahu already drives one. imagine my surprise when, one late summer morning, i saw a smartfortwo on H-1 headed towards town by sixth ave in morning rush hour traffic. i rubbernecked so bad that had i been driving, i would have caused an accident. that car makes even a mini cooper look big! so cute!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
              X