Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop help?

Aloha!
    I hope someone can help. I change photos from rbg to cymk for printing purposes and the photos come out heavily tinted blue and green. I'm not changing the values of C, Y, M or K; so I don't understand why this is happening. I completed a yearbook page for my girls' school and created a PDF with the page; I then converted the page to a jpg and it's all wacky. When I go back to look at my files, all the photos that I edited with Photoshop CS2 look this way, too. I still have the original photo files, so it's not a huge crisis.
    Is this something that the printer can deal with? Does anyone here encounter such submissions and correct them without much difficulty?
    Advice?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Photoshop help?

Are they showing up as heavily blue and green in prints but not display, in display but not prints, or in both display and prints?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm no Photoshop genius, but I'm something of a googlehound. By any chance might the problem be something relating to which ICM profile you're using? That was the first idea that popped out of a quick search.

Comment

Sorry guys, I was at my exit interview...

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Are they showing up as heavily blue and green in prints but not display, in display but not prints, or in both display and prints?
        Scriv: I'm not printing them, just showing them on screen. I emailed the jpg of the pdf to myself and it showed up there; but the pdf doesn't show it. (does that make sense?)

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
        I'm no Photoshop genius, but I'm something of a googlehound. By any chance might the problem be something relating to which ICM profile you're using? That was the first idea that popped out of a quick search.
        ICM? Excuse me: DUH? I have no idea what that is. I never pretended to be an expert, but I'm not that much of a luddite!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

instead of going from .jpg (i presume) to pdf to .jpg, why not try just using/modifying your original .jpg file, saving it as something else (don't lose your original), email it to yourself if you like, and then see what happens?
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
            instead of going from .jpg (i presume) to pdf to .jpg, why not try just using/modifying your original .jpg file, saving it as something else (don't lose your original), email it to yourself if you like, and then see what happens?
            Actually, it's a collage of jpgs, it's a yearbook page. I kinda don't want to have to reassemble it again. I sent it already to House of Photo and I haven't heard back that there's a problem. I really just want to know for myself to keep it from happening in the future. it happens when I just sent headshots to the press, too.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

hey lavagal, i'm no photoshop guru (tho i use it all the time) and this answer is quick cuz i gatta run but here are some thoughts/suggestions:

* if you're using photoshop and the file in question is a collage of images, i presume you must be using layers and saving it as a .psd file. if so--and i can't imagine a collage of images in photoshop without layers--you're in luck cuz .psd files are great. IF you saved the psd file, you have no need to redo all that work. if not, if should be a reminder in the future to always save your work as a psd file, especially when dealing with layers.

* when you want a .jpg output, simply flatten all the layers and choose Save As. the .psd file is not affected and all of your creative work is saved and the layers are kept as they were.

if i'm missing something, please let me know. oh, one more thing. if you're willing to send the .psd file to me, i wouldn't mind checking it out and seeing if there's a problem.
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

First, check to see what colorspace you're working in. ColorMatch RGB is good. Adobe RGB is even better.

You'll need to be working with a hardware-calibrated monitor. To try calibrating a monitor without hardware calibration is the equivalent of kicking car tires to check for proper inflation. You'll know when it's way-off but you can't tell if it's truly correct. But that's if you're really picky. If it's not critical color, you can probably wing it.

Then check to see how you have your CMYK conversion set up. If you go to "Color Settings" in the main Photoshop dropdown menu, you'll see some settings you can choose. Use the U.S. Prepress Defaults setting and that will get you in the ballpark.

Whatever you do, stay away from creating custom CMYK settings. I've seen people mess with that and the results can be ugly.

Just for a brief explanation, CMYK conversion is actually up to the printing company. CMYK is printer-specific and it depends upon a myriad of variables including press, ink brand and even the type of paper being used. The same cyan ink will look dramatically different on various types of paper.

The RGB-CMYK conversion should be taking place in Photoshop and not with the page design software. The same goes for final re-sizing of the image and any sharpening.

For resolution settings, you should find out what line screen is being used by the printer and multiply that by 1.5 to 2.0. If they're using a 150-line screen then your resolution should be 225 to 300 pixels per inch.

For sharpening, use the Unsharp Mask filter. Try a setting of 150 percent, a radius of 0.5 pixels and a threshold of 5. If that's not sharp enough, increase the percentage and the radius. If it looks too harsh, then reduce those settings.

What are you using to create the page? If it's Quark, then that might be part of the problem. InDesign handles color management much better and provides better on-screen display. Quark is weak in that aspect.

There's a lot more but hope this sets you in the right direction.

Comment

I would trust your printer and see what he says.

In the meantime, try printing out a page from your own printer (if you have a color printer). I've often had problems with what the computer screen is showing and how it's actually printing out. Quite often, it also depends on what software program you're using. I've printed out an image straight from PhotoShop, from a Word file, from a Word file converted to pdf, from an InDesign file, from an InDesign file converted to pdf--and have gotten completely different printouts from all of them. Color is very difficult in a digital world.

Somehow, I think the problem may have been from converting a pdf to a jpeg. Why did you have to do that? Was it for a website?

Comment

thanks everyone...I have a lot of info to work with regarding this 4-color printed yearbook page...to save for future reference. Wow. HT really delivers.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                    X