Mac vs PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac vs PC

Remember that Guy Kawasaki, Duke's kid, was originally hired by Apple to be the "Mac evangelist." Yes, evangelist was the job title.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Speaking of Mac bugs, Apple just released a fix for the QuickTime flaw.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Mac vs. PC debate has been around almost as long as Coke vs. Pepsi. And although the latter choice is mostly a matter of personal taste, the subject of this thread can be resolved in a purely logical fashion.

I'm sure Nikki has been somewhat boggled by the salvos from each platform's camps of supporters and detractors. And I'm sure we can all agree that each platform has its pros and cons. But I think what would serve her better is a needs-based solution.

Say Nikki loves playing FP shooters online and transcoding DVDs to MPEG4 and most of her third-party applications are PC-only. Or maybe she wants the cheapest possible cpu/monitor combination. Then a PC would make more sense.

Maybe Nikki browses the web a lot, enjoys putting together edited family videos, slideshows or newsletters. Or perhaps she uses her computer for statistical analysis or physics modeling. Then a Mac would make more sense.

I think we all need to keep in mind that no one platform is the best for all purposes and that it's always good to keep track of the defects and weaknesses of componentry:
        * Certain laptop batteries (even some Macbooks) have a tendency to immoliate their host systems and anything nearby
        * Dell customer support is lacking
        * HP is better at making printers than computers

All that being said, my ideal system would be a custom-built Intel quad-core, water-cooled box dual-booting Vista & Linux with four 1TB HDs running RAID 6 feeding video to a 50" 1080p flat-screen LCD ... if someone else were paying for it all.
        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

You forgot one thing, what is Nikki's budget?

Comment

Basic rule: What programs do you want to run? Get the platform that works best for your programs.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              I quite well remember a techhead at the Hawaii Newspaper Agency imperiously telling me that Macs will never succeed. I should, he said, invest in a CP/M computer made by Zorba!
              Gee, I wonder what that hack is up to today?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                You forgot one thing, what is Nikki's budget?
                Actually I would preface by saying, "What software has Nikki already invested in" If you have the complete MS Office Suite, Various PC games or PC based peripherals she may have to reinvest in Mac software, games and Mac based peripherals as well.

BTW I loved that website you posted Cameron: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant

Like I said before, the last time I walked into an Apple store I felt as if I just walked into a Starbucks or a Borders, just didn't feel Hip enough. I guess board shorts, slippers and an Nvidia t-shirt didn't help at all.

I went up to this malnourished employee and asked, "Can this thing run hacked programs?" You should have seen the look on her eyes. I told her I got a hacked version of OS 9 (of course I was lying thru my teath), and suddenly several people gravitated to me to "tell me more".

"Got it off the internet but I lost the website so all I have is a burned DVD disc at home". When she couldn't answer me (I think her jaw was frozen open) I shrugged my shoulders and walked out. That was a few years ago at the Ala Moana store.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  I went up to this malnourished employee and asked, "Can this thing run hacked programs?" You should have seen the look on her eyes. I told her I got a hacked version of OS 9 (of course I was lying thru my teath), and suddenly several people gravitated to me to "tell me more".

"Got it off the internet but I lost the website so all I have is a burned DVD disc at home". When she couldn't answer me (I think her jaw was frozen open) I shrugged my shoulders and walked out. That was a few years ago at the Ala Moana store.
                  Do mac users not know what software piracy is or something?
                  808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                  kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                  http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Actually Windows can run on a Mac. So Windows programs can run on it too.
                    http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

FYI, I'm in a dual environment.

At work I tried to load some Adobe products on Vista and it pretty much said no. For a couple other products Vista said there are known compatibility issues. It made me wonder if it's because Adobe and Microsoft are competing with each other. Anyway upgrading the software programs will cost a lot of money. Everything else loaded and seems to work fine.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

• Re: Mac vs PC

I am left... and right brained. I enjoy knowing how things work and I like to be creative. I was probably among the first musicians in the State to be using computers... not only for music but for running the bizz side as well. 30 years ago I had to spend 100's of hours to make my databases... now you can go out and buy quicken for $50. I was so excited with my 300 baud modem and the green text that came in from "out-there". For a while I had both PC's and Macs. One for music and the other for non-creative things... eventually I gave away my PC's and found the mac just took over. Today I spend most of my hours being creative... but I am also a problem solver. Over the last 15 years I have had to take our Macs in for repair maybe 3 times... I have never had to reinstall an OS... never. I have never had a virus or malware... nor have I ever heard of my Mac friends encounter one as well.

The average PC user is more likely to be a normal non-tech-type, without a clue to how anything works or why. They are lost when their PC doesn't work, or is slowing down or just breaks. Those people would have been much better off with a Mac. I know this because I am involved with computers everyday... I have neighbors and relatives, and every single one of the PC users have to call someone to come get their computer because of problems about every 6 months or so. This is the reality for the average PC computer owner... not the wiz-kid PC gamer who builds his own computers.
                      Brad White
                      sigpic
                      http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                        Actually Windows can run on a Mac. So Windows programs can run on it too.
                        http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

FYI, I'm in a dual environment.

At work I tried to load some Adobe products on Vista and it pretty much said no. For a couple other products Vista said there are known compatibility issues. It made me wonder if it's because Adobe and Microsoft are competing with each other. Anyway upgrading the software programs will cost a lot of money. Everything else loaded and seems to work fine.
                        I stated the same thing earlier. I've been running Windows XP on my Intel Macs for over a year with few problems. This is 2007, not 1997, so most of the "Mac vs. PC" arguments are somewhat spurious.
                        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

As much as I love MAC's, I'm totally annoyed right now, because my main workhorse G5 is down ..... AGAIN. I've replaced the Logic board in it twice and the superdrive once. At this point, I may excercise my Lemon Law rights, and demand a new one. One of the techs that came to my house told me I can do that, after 3 serious repairs.

On the other hand, I have 2 iMacs that I've had since 2003 that have had NO problems.

Sometimes you just get a sour one. Either way, I still love my MACS but right now I'm annoyed.

One thing I know. I'll NEVER get a new Apple without getting APPLE CARE.

I would be out about $1500 right now if I didn't have it.

Oh well, guess I'm outta commission for a few days....bummer, I have so much work to do.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Anyone discussing have shares of HP, DELL, AAPL, or MSFT?
                            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                              Anyone discussing have shares of HP, DELL, AAPL, or MSFT?
                              Yeah, I own shares of MSFT & AAPL.
                              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Nikki, you'd be doing yourself a favor picking up a Mac! Online support groups for Macs are boundless. On the other hand there is hardly any for the PC on the internet.
                                Plus, like someone else noted. You are virtually cruising the internet ten minutes out of the box with a Mac. I think Apple spend twice as much money than any other computer companies in R & D aspect of the business. This means a good consumer product for the end user. I can't even begin to right down all the things Apple has done for the computing world. They were the first with just about everything cool with computers.

Now with the Intel Macs you can run Windows, Linux Operating systems too on your Mac. Blue screen of death....not on a Mac. They last longer than any other PC on the market.

Also, today Macs don't really cost more than PC's. That tends to be something of the past. As for software, sure there is more software on a PC. Apple doesn't feel the need to offer up 10 different versions of Solitaire to it's user base. I hear a lot of people say,"there isn't enough games on the Mac platform". Besides, that's what "Game Consoles are for,right?

Nikki, if you gotta ask which is better for you. Then a Mac is your ticket for many reasons. Plus their new OS will be coming out at the end of summer! I mean Apple's OS is so awesome Windows tends to copy Apple's OS more than not.

Get yourself a white MacBook, you'll never suffer buyer's remorse!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X