Mac vs PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac vs PC

I'm thinking of changing to Mac for home/personal use. Anyone here have a Mac? What are the main differences between Mac and PC, and pros and cons? Thanks!

Re: mac vs pc

See this video.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Nikki-

What are your reasons for considering the switch? I use both, depending on the task.

Here are some pros & cons

Mac Pros:
      Good integrated multimedia software (iLife)
      Less hardware incompatibility issues

Mac Cons:
      Pricer than PC
      Less software available than PC
      smaller user base than PC
      less hardware options than PC

PC Pro:
      Less expensive, more bang for the buck
      More options available for hardware, software
      larger user base

PC Cons:
      Installation & troubleshooting can be more difficult & involved
      hardware compatibility issues (Although this has improved significantly with newer operating systems)
      More prone to virus/spyware issues (but Macs are not immune and probably will have the same problems soon)

For general use (email, internet, word processing) it's a toss up between platforms. They perform similarly, so it's up to your preference in OS/hardware and price.

Hope this helps-
      Garry
      Last edited by gchun; April 20, 2007, 07:30 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Comment

I'd say it totally depends on what you're using your computer for.

Macs tend to be more savvy for creative stuff like recording music, video etc, but PC's have great stuff for that too.

The one real pro is that Macs are pretty immune to viruses.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Hah! Funny!!

Comment

Thanks for the info, GChun... very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
              I'm thinking of changing to Mac for home/personal use. Anyone here have a Mac? What are the main differences between Mac and PC, and pros and cons? Thanks!
              most of the folks at my work's IT dept think of me as one of their higher-than-average-knowledge type user. my beau, on the other hand, is a certified computer geek (literally). my beau's mom is a woman in her fifties who sometimes calls the beau for help working the DVR and is as knowledgeable about computers as today's grade school kids are about typerwriters.

anyway, in the last three years, the beau bought his mom a computer, himself a computer, and me a computer.

the beau bought himself a laptop PC. he's had to wipe it twice due to some problems that i would have, prior to meeting the beau, taken the thing to the computer priests and offered up prayers in the hopes that the computer gods would see fit to resuscitate it.

then beau bought me a mac mini. i previously owned a PC and i have waaaaaay less trouble with the mac mini than i ever did with the PC. very friendly to the non-computer-geek, but if you use a PC at work and a mac at home like i do, you have a few minutes when you switch computers that you and your fingers hafta "switch gears." what's nice tho is that if you don't have your own in-house computer geek like you do at work or like i do with my beau, the mac is rather nice to have bcs it's relatively problem free.

beau bought his mom an imac. remember what i said about her calling the beau re the dvr? well, she's called him more with questions about the dvr than the computer.

hope that helps!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Macs work right out of the box and do so beautifully

PCs don't. That simple.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Macs all the way! That said...I've never even touched a PC so have no frame of reference. If I can use a Mac...ANYONE can! PZ understands!

Comment

I'm a PC guy and a Republican so I'll just keep my mouth shut.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Mac vs PC

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                      Get a Mac. With the advent of Apple's Boot Camp and Parallels Desktop, the Mac can run Windows software (often better than many PCs).
                      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

I'm a Macintosh guy, and an Apple fan. You want ease of use, simplicity in set-up and a great looking product? Get a Mac.

My wife recently chose to work from home, but her office uses PC's. So she needed to get one that had remote desktop capabilities. We ended up getting a Toshiba Satellite from Best Buy. But before we opened it, we wanted to know exactly what kind of Windows Vista was in it, so that she could upgrade to the version of Vista that allowed Remote Desktop. (Here is problem number one: multiple versions of the same OS release?)

Once we found out which version of Vista we had, we found out that we had to spend $159 to upgrade to Vista Ultimate either via download or snail mail. But the laptop may or may not have included a "Windows Upgrade Anytime" CD which would have us to download the upgrade. (This is what we wanted to do.) Calls to Best Buy revealed that some computers came with the Ugrade CD, and some didn't. It was all up to the manufacturer if they wanted to include the upgradeable version of Vista. The Best Buy guy says they didn't know which was included. Several calls to Toshiba's "Customer Service" line were routed around and disconnected.

The moral of the story? Get a Mac. Apple makes the whole widget, as Steve Jobs is fond of saying. This means they make the computer, they make the software, and they make sure everything just works. And it does.

Comment

Apple's ProCare rocks! I wouldn't be without it.

Comment

I use PCs at work and wouldn't use anything but a Mac at home. I used to work in IT doing simple computer repair and such at work and came to love not only the ease of use a Mac has but it doesn't get the viruses, blue screens of death, random fatal errors etc.

If you are not into downloading drivers for you cameras, scanners, printers and so on the Mac is the way to go. I bought a Cannon Rebel and my Mac was ready to go with out loading anything, plug and play all the way!
                            Looking for an old friend Nathan Bellinger, appreciate any help.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Apple's ProCare rocks! I wouldn't be without it.
                              Plus, don't you get VIP status at the Genius Bar?

Comment

Working...
                              X