Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC

Default Mac vs PC

I'm thinking of changing to Mac for home/personal use. Anyone here have a Mac? What are the main differences between Mac and PC, and pros and cons? Thanks!

Default Re: mac vs pc

See this video.

Nikki-

What are your reasons for considering the switch? I use both, depending on the task.

Here are some pros & cons

Mac Pros:
    Good integrated multimedia software (iLife)
    Less hardware incompatibility issues

Mac Cons:
    Pricer than PC
    Less software available than PC
    smaller user base than PC
    less hardware options than PC

PC Pro:
    Less expensive, more bang for the buck
    More options available for hardware, software
    larger user base

PC Cons:
    Installation & troubleshooting can be more difficult & involved
    hardware compatibility issues (Although this has improved significantly with newer operating systems)
    More prone to virus/spyware issues (but Macs are not immune and probably will have the same problems soon)

For general use (email, internet, word processing) it's a toss up between platforms. They perform similarly, so it's up to your preference in OS/hardware and price.

Hope this helps-
    Garry
    Last edited by gchun; April 20th, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: fixing typos

I'd say it totally depends on what you're using your computer for.

Macs tend to be more savvy for creative stuff like recording music, video etc, but PC's have great stuff for that too.

The one real pro is that Macs are pretty immune to viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Hah! Funny!!

Thanks for the info, GChun... very helpful.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by nikki View Post
    I'm thinking of changing to Mac for home/personal use. Anyone here have a Mac? What are the main differences between Mac and PC, and pros and cons? Thanks!
    most of the folks at my work's IT dept think of me as one of their higher-than-average-knowledge type user. my beau, on the other hand, is a certified computer geek (literally). my beau's mom is a woman in her fifties who sometimes calls the beau for help working the DVR and is as knowledgeable about computers as today's grade school kids are about typerwriters.

anyway, in the last three years, the beau bought his mom a computer, himself a computer, and me a computer.

the beau bought himself a laptop PC. he's had to wipe it twice due to some problems that i would have, prior to meeting the beau, taken the thing to the computer priests and offered up prayers in the hopes that the computer gods would see fit to resuscitate it.

then beau bought me a mac mini. i previously owned a PC and i have waaaaaay less trouble with the mac mini than i ever did with the PC. very friendly to the non-computer-geek, but if you use a PC at work and a mac at home like i do, you have a few minutes when you switch computers that you and your fingers hafta "switch gears." what's nice tho is that if you don't have your own in-house computer geek like you do at work or like i do with my beau, the mac is rather nice to have bcs it's relatively problem free.

beau bought his mom an imac. remember what i said about her calling the beau re the dvr? well, she's called him more with questions about the dvr than the computer.

hope that helps!

Macs work right out of the box and do so beautifully

PCs don't. That simple.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Macs all the way! That said...I've never even touched a PC so have no frame of reference. If I can use a Mac...ANYONE can! PZ understands!

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

I'm a PC guy and a Republican so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Default Re: Mac vs PC

Quote Originally Posted by nikki View Post
    Get a Mac. With the advent of Apple's Boot Camp and Parallels Desktop, the Mac can run Windows software (often better than many PCs).
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

I'm a Macintosh guy, and an Apple fan. You want ease of use, simplicity in set-up and a great looking product? Get a Mac.

My wife recently chose to work from home, but her office uses PC's. So she needed to get one that had remote desktop capabilities. We ended up getting a Toshiba Satellite from Best Buy. But before we opened it, we wanted to know exactly what kind of Windows Vista was in it, so that she could upgrade to the version of Vista that allowed Remote Desktop. (Here is problem number one: multiple versions of the same OS release?)

Once we found out which version of Vista we had, we found out that we had to spend $159 to upgrade to Vista Ultimate either via download or snail mail. But the laptop may or may not have included a "Windows Upgrade Anytime" CD which would have us to download the upgrade. (This is what we wanted to do.) Calls to Best Buy revealed that some computers came with the Ugrade CD, and some didn't. It was all up to the manufacturer if they wanted to include the upgradeable version of Vista. The Best Buy guy says they didn't know which was included. Several calls to Toshiba's "Customer Service" line were routed around and disconnected.

The moral of the story? Get a Mac. Apple makes the whole widget, as Steve Jobs is fond of saying. This means they make the computer, they make the software, and they make sure everything just works. And it does.

Apple's ProCare rocks! I wouldn't be without it.

I use PCs at work and wouldn't use anything but a Mac at home. I used to work in IT doing simple computer repair and such at work and came to love not only the ease of use a Mac has but it doesn't get the viruses, blue screens of death, random fatal errors etc.

If you are not into downloading drivers for you cameras, scanners, printers and so on the Mac is the way to go. I bought a Cannon Rebel and my Mac was ready to go with out loading anything, plug and play all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Apple's ProCare rocks! I wouldn't be without it.
    Plus, don't you get VIP status at the Genius Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Plus, don't you get VIP status at the Genius Bar?
    That's one of the many reasons it rocks!

I switched from PC to Mac a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. I got a mac book pro.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Macs all the way! That said...I've never even touched a PC so have no frame of reference. If I can use a Mac...ANYONE can! PZ understands!
    Same here....tried a friend's PC once or twice, but my first computer purchase was a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    Macs work right out of the box and do so beautifully

PCs don't. That simple.
    They do if you buy from Dell...I've had mine for two years ~ love it ~ and the only thing I needed to download was ITunes for the Pod. If I bought a new laptop I would consider Mac because my needs are mostly media, but for now I'm very happy with my Dell PC.
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    I'm a Macintosh guy, and an Apple fan.
    No wonder you're in the comedy biz

Okay now regarding Dell. That was a poor excuse for a PC man! I bought a Dell for one of my college kids here on the Big ISland. When it crapped out and need to be sent back to Dell, they sent me a shipping box thru UPS.

When I picked up the box the woman there told me they get 30 of these shipping boxes for Dell per month. AND THAT'S ONLY IN THE HILO AREA!

Imagine Honolulu or even L.A. for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, Dell sucks. I'd rather buy a Toshiba or less yet, an HP than a Dell. I'm sorry as one who fixes computers, I see more Dells come to me for repair. HP is a close second though. If you're gonna buy a Dell, buy their extended service plan because you will use it

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Okay now regarding Dell. That was a poor excuse for a PC man! I bought a Dell for one of my college kids here on the Big ISland. When it crapped out and need to be sent back to Dell, they sent me a shipping box thru UPS.

When I picked up the box the woman there told me they get 30 of these shipping boxes for Dell per month. AND THAT'S ONLY IN THE HILO AREA!

Imagine Honolulu or even L.A. for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, Dell sucks. I'd rather buy a Toshiba or less yet, an HP than a Dell. I'm sorry as one who fixes computers, I see more Dells come to me for repair. HP is a close second though. If you're gonna buy a Dell, buy their extended service plan because you will use it
    Wow, sorry you had such a negative experience with Dell but my laptop has been working just fine for over two years now. I also use a Dell at work and I have no complaints there either. The reason I decided on Dell was because of the research that my son-in-law did when he was buying computers for his law firm; he said Dell was the best price and best performance reputation. I did own a Toshiba (my first lap top) and I made almost $300 on a class action suit because of a recall ~ the disk drive was faulty. I must say I do have issues with Dell's Indian "Help" desk good thing I only had to contact them twice, that was enough. They drove me crazy!!!!!

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Dell is sorta like the Walmart of PCs, they are probably the most aggressive in trying to cut any costs out of the PC and it shows. Last I heard, they rerouted some of those tech calls back to call centers in the US, not because of backlash but because of quality issues.

And to be fair, PCs see more viruses and worms because most hackers target PCs. So the rise of the Mac and Apple can be a curse in some ways. As they become more mainstream, expect to see more hackers targeting them.

Quote Originally Posted by greentara View Post
    Wow, sorry you had such a negative experience with Dell but my laptop has been working just fine for over two years now. I also use a Dell at work and I have no complaints there either. The reason I decided on Dell was because of the research that my son-in-law did when he was buying computers for his law firm; he said Dell was the best price and best performance reputation. I did own a Toshiba (my first lap top) and I made almost $300 on a class action suit because of a recall ~ the disk drive was faulty. I must say I do have issues with Dell's Indian "Help" desk good thing I only had to contact them twice, that was enough. They drove me crazy!!!!!
    You've only had them for two years...wait until next year when the power supply craps out and you have to buy a DELL power supply because a standard third party (better than Dell) PSU won't fit unless you modify the Dell computer case. BTW Dell uses 230-Watt power supplies, grossly underrated for DVD burning or gaming graphics or even Pentium 4 power needs. BTW that's for desktops. The laptop PSU's are okay.

Also the memory modules they use tend to go south after a few years for reasons I still can't figure out.

And lastly, the motherboards end up cracking due to expansion. Even their IDE cables that route the hard drive or the optical disks tend to fail sooner than most aftermarket cables.

In order to price Dells cheaper than what most system builders can build one from scratch, Dell uses inferior products when assembling a computer. About the only thing good I can say about Dell is that they use damned near bulletproof cases. But then again most people will only look at the cover and not the content.

Dell's laptops fair better than their desktops but in either case, they skimp on quality control in order to optain really low prices.

Talk to me in about a year and tell me Dell is the bomb. At 2-years ANY computer should give you trouble-free performance. I'd sell it before three years come up while it's still running great.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 22nd, 2007 at 01:04 PM.

We have a Dell Frankenstein at work. It's "Frank" because so many parts have been swapped in that guy and it still doesn't work good. I never understood why Dell just didn't send us a new box and took the old one back. To me they would have just saved time and money.

We also aren't buying Dell.

We have a Mac to replace the Dell.

Mac and HP at home. We are moving to be more Mac centric. Also bought a Mac Mini for my mother-in-law. She does not call me like my Mom who has a Dell. I keep telling my Mom to call Dell support. There are just some things that you can't troubleshoot over the phone.

You've only had them for two years...wait until next year when the power supply craps out and you have to buy a DELL power supply because a standard third party (better than Dell) PSU won't fit unless you modify the Dell computer case. BTW Dell uses 230-Watt power supplies, grossly underrated for DVD burning or gaming graphics or even Pentium 4 power needs. BTW that's for desktops. The laptop PSU's are okay.

Also the memory modules they use tend to go south after a few years for reasons I still can't figure out.

And lastly, the motherboards end up cracking due to expansion. Even their IDE cables that route the hard drive or the optical disks tend to fail sooner than most aftermarket cables.

In order to price Dells cheaper than what most system builders can build one from scratch, Dell uses inferior products when assembling a computer. About the only thing good I can say about Dell is that they use damned near bulletproof cases. But then again most people will only look at the cover and not the content.

Dell's laptops fair better than their desktops but in either case, they skimp on quality control in order to optain really low prices.

Talk to me in about a year and tell me Dell is the bomb. At 2-years ANY computer should give you trouble-free performance. I'd sell it before three years come up while it's still running great.
    Well, that certainly is depressing, and I guess you would know since you are a "computer guy" ~ now that you have ruined my day, what do you recommend for my next purchase, since I only have a short time left with my Dell.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast