Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac vs PC

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Plus, don't you get VIP status at the Genius Bar?
    That's one of the many reasons it rocks!

Comment

I switched from PC to Mac a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. I got a mac book pro.
      http://www.wondermill.com/
      http://www.icecreamforeveryone.com/

Comment

Re: mac vs pc

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Macs all the way! That said...I've never even touched a PC so have no frame of reference. If I can use a Mac...ANYONE can! PZ understands!
        Same here....tried a friend's PC once or twice, but my first computer purchase was a mac.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Re: mac vs pc

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
          Macs work right out of the box and do so beautifully

PCs don't. That simple.
          They do if you buy from Dell...I've had mine for two years ~ love it ~ and the only thing I needed to download was ITunes for the Pod. If I bought a new laptop I would consider Mac because my needs are mostly media, but for now I'm very happy with my Dell PC.
          "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
            I'm a Macintosh guy, and an Apple fan.
            No wonder you're in the comedy biz

Okay now regarding Dell. That was a poor excuse for a PC man! I bought a Dell for one of my college kids here on the Big ISland. When it crapped out and need to be sent back to Dell, they sent me a shipping box thru UPS.

When I picked up the box the woman there told me they get 30 of these shipping boxes for Dell per month. AND THAT'S ONLY IN THE HILO AREA!

Imagine Honolulu or even L.A. for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, Dell sucks. I'd rather buy a Toshiba or less yet, an HP than a Dell. I'm sorry as one who fixes computers, I see more Dells come to me for repair. HP is a close second though. If you're gonna buy a Dell, buy their extended service plan because you will use it
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Okay now regarding Dell. That was a poor excuse for a PC man! I bought a Dell for one of my college kids here on the Big ISland. When it crapped out and need to be sent back to Dell, they sent me a shipping box thru UPS.

When I picked up the box the woman there told me they get 30 of these shipping boxes for Dell per month. AND THAT'S ONLY IN THE HILO AREA!

Imagine Honolulu or even L.A. for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, Dell sucks. I'd rather buy a Toshiba or less yet, an HP than a Dell. I'm sorry as one who fixes computers, I see more Dells come to me for repair. HP is a close second though. If you're gonna buy a Dell, buy their extended service plan because you will use it
              Wow, sorry you had such a negative experience with Dell but my laptop has been working just fine for over two years now. I also use a Dell at work and I have no complaints there either. The reason I decided on Dell was because of the research that my son-in-law did when he was buying computers for his law firm; he said Dell was the best price and best performance reputation. I did own a Toshiba (my first lap top) and I made almost $300 on a class action suit because of a recall ~ the disk drive was faulty. I must say I do have issues with Dell's Indian "Help" desk good thing I only had to contact them twice, that was enough. They drove me crazy!!!!!

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Dell is sorta like the Walmart of PCs, they are probably the most aggressive in trying to cut any costs out of the PC and it shows. Last I heard, they rerouted some of those tech calls back to call centers in the US, not because of backlash but because of quality issues.

And to be fair, PCs see more viruses and worms because most hackers target PCs. So the rise of the Mac and Apple can be a curse in some ways. As they become more mainstream, expect to see more hackers targeting them.

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                  Wow, sorry you had such a negative experience with Dell but my laptop has been working just fine for over two years now. I also use a Dell at work and I have no complaints there either. The reason I decided on Dell was because of the research that my son-in-law did when he was buying computers for his law firm; he said Dell was the best price and best performance reputation. I did own a Toshiba (my first lap top) and I made almost $300 on a class action suit because of a recall ~ the disk drive was faulty. I must say I do have issues with Dell's Indian "Help" desk good thing I only had to contact them twice, that was enough. They drove me crazy!!!!!
                  You've only had them for two years...wait until next year when the power supply craps out and you have to buy a DELL power supply because a standard third party (better than Dell) PSU won't fit unless you modify the Dell computer case. BTW Dell uses 230-Watt power supplies, grossly underrated for DVD burning or gaming graphics or even Pentium 4 power needs. BTW that's for desktops. The laptop PSU's are okay.

Also the memory modules they use tend to go south after a few years for reasons I still can't figure out.

And lastly, the motherboards end up cracking due to expansion. Even their IDE cables that route the hard drive or the optical disks tend to fail sooner than most aftermarket cables.

In order to price Dells cheaper than what most system builders can build one from scratch, Dell uses inferior products when assembling a computer. About the only thing good I can say about Dell is that they use damned near bulletproof cases. But then again most people will only look at the cover and not the content.

Dell's laptops fair better than their desktops but in either case, they skimp on quality control in order to optain really low prices.

Talk to me in about a year and tell me Dell is the bomb. At 2-years ANY computer should give you trouble-free performance. I'd sell it before three years come up while it's still running great.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 22, 2007, 01:04 PM.

Comment

We have a Dell Frankenstein at work. It's "Frank" because so many parts have been swapped in that guy and it still doesn't work good. I never understood why Dell just didn't send us a new box and took the old one back. To me they would have just saved time and money.

We also aren't buying Dell.

We have a Mac to replace the Dell.

Mac and HP at home. We are moving to be more Mac centric. Also bought a Mac Mini for my mother-in-law. She does not call me like my Mom who has a Dell. I keep telling my Mom to call Dell support. There are just some things that you can't troubleshoot over the phone.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

You've only had them for two years...wait until next year when the power supply craps out and you have to buy a DELL power supply because a standard third party (better than Dell) PSU won't fit unless you modify the Dell computer case. BTW Dell uses 230-Watt power supplies, grossly underrated for DVD burning or gaming graphics or even Pentium 4 power needs. BTW that's for desktops. The laptop PSU's are okay.

Also the memory modules they use tend to go south after a few years for reasons I still can't figure out.

And lastly, the motherboards end up cracking due to expansion. Even their IDE cables that route the hard drive or the optical disks tend to fail sooner than most aftermarket cables.

In order to price Dells cheaper than what most system builders can build one from scratch, Dell uses inferior products when assembling a computer. About the only thing good I can say about Dell is that they use damned near bulletproof cases. But then again most people will only look at the cover and not the content.

Dell's laptops fair better than their desktops but in either case, they skimp on quality control in order to optain really low prices.

Talk to me in about a year and tell me Dell is the bomb. At 2-years ANY computer should give you trouble-free performance. I'd sell it before three years come up while it's still running great.
                      Well, that certainly is depressing, and I guess you would know since you are a "computer guy" ~ now that you have ruined my day, what do you recommend for my next purchase, since I only have a short time left with my Dell.

Comment

Well, that certainly is depressing, and I guess you would know since you are a "computer guy" ~ now that you have ruined my day, what do you recommend for my next purchase, since I only have a short time left with my Dell.

Comment

Take it out for a farewell dinner and sell it before it depreciates beyond worth or dies before hand.

I build my own and pick motherboards that will stay current for a few years. That way even my three year old "Project" will be Vista Capable when I'm ready to buy it.

Hey it's been giving you over 2-years of loyal service...that's longer than some personal relationships!

But I'd cut my losses and dump it before it burns you and it will...

Comment

I have 2 Dell Desktop computers. One is over 3 years old and the other one I had it now for 18 months. Not one problem with either one. The power supply in the newer one is 350 watts. In both of them I have internal and external dvd burners. Both internal dvd burners as well as both large HD's in both of them are hooked up using SATA. Now I know one thing that was bad about the Dells and that was the type of DVD-Rom and Dvd Burners they were installing in their desktops. I know the Dvd-burners were Philips. Even though they were offering me a free dvd burner upgrade both times I purchased my Dells I pass up the offer. I installed Pioneer, LG, NEC and the last one was a 20x Lite-On.

Now lets talk about my Moms HP computers. Her HP she brought about 3-4 years ago the power supply died after 6 months. We took it back to Comp USA and they told us that is a known problem with this model. I said how come never said some thing about this when we brought that particular model. We are told only now they are finding out about this since more and more people are having power supply problems with this model. I tell them maybe you or HP should have a recall or something. So they replace the PS only to fail less than a year later. They replace it once again.

Not about a year later she buys a new HP 13 months later the HD starts acting up. I go with her to Comp USA. Good thing she purchased a extended warranty. Because it would of cost her money to replace the HD since the original warranty is only 12 months. They test the HD and says it's fine must be a virus. So they reformat the drive and do a fresh install on it. Take it home the next day. One day later she starts having problems with the HD. It boots up real slow. Now this just after a new restore has been done to the HD. Also about every other time she turns her computer it ask her if she wants to boot up in safe mode. So back we go and I am pissed as hell. I tell the idiots that the HD is bad. They boot it up at the store and it boots up fine. They look at me like I am a idiot. I told them it boots up fine sometimes and sometimes she has all these problems. So they are going to keep it over night. Which turned into a week until we went back and starting bitching about how long it takes to replace the HD. Hell I could of changed it myself and gotten her a bigger one. They finally bring it out and say it was a bad HD. I told them we won't be buying any more computers from them.

Comment

HP sucks too. I did say that didin't I

Anyway even at 380-watts you're still running under what I would consider safe. 400-watts or better in my book.

How much did your mom pay for the extended warranty? Hopefully not more than the cost of a replacement HD.

Comment

I don't know what party has to do with this, but I'll declare that I am Republican and use and own Macs. Several over the years.

However where I work we are stuck in Windows hell, and several times there has been hell to pay with viral infections attacking the entire Windows network.

Lucky I bring my Mac laptop with me to work so I can still do some work while the Windows stuff is going crazy.

The good thing about Microsoft's and Apple's agreement of 1997 (and several follow-ups throughout the years) is that most of the MS office suite work seamlessly between the Windows and Mac versions... which means the Word and Excel files can swap from one platform to another without much trouble... at least on later versions of the Mac OS.

As for Dell, the workplace has them and we've had mixed results. I've seen brand new Dells die in weeks and some old ones chugging along without much hardware problems. I think your mileage will vary.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X