Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac vs PC

Originally posted by mel View Post
    I don't know what party has to do with this, but I'll declare that I am Republican and use and own Macs. Several over the years.

However where I work we are stuck in Windows hell, and several times there has been hell to pay with viral infections attacking the entire Windows network.

Lucky I bring my Mac laptop with me to work so I can still do some work while the Windows stuff is going crazy.

The good thing about Microsoft's and Apple's agreement of 1997 (and several follow-ups throughout the years) is that most of the MS office suite work seamlessly between the Windows and Mac versions... which means the Word and Excel files can swap from one platform to another without much trouble... at least on later versions of the Mac OS.

As for Dell, the workplace has them and we've had mixed results. I've seen brand new Dells die in weeks and some old ones chugging along without much hardware problems. I think your mileage will vary.
    I would get a mac, but:

I HATE THOSE DAMN "GET A MAC" ADS.

No thank you Mr. Snarky Mac guy always, ripping on poor Mr. PC, spreading your FUD.

(I have more to say than that, but I'd just be wasting breath)
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

You know with those smug Apple ads running now, it's just a matter of time when Mac's will feel the brunt of a hacker. Smugness wasn't one of Apple's traits in the past, now it is. It reeks even when you walk into an Apple store. It's like you have to be hip to be seen inside one.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I had an old Mac Plus in the front window of the aerospace museum at the airport. I set up a repeating slide show on the machine and it ran for 2.5 years, 24 hours a day, without once crashing.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          You know with those smug Apple ads running now, it's just a matter of time when Mac's will feel the brunt of a hacker. Smugness wasn't one of Apple's traits in the past, now it is. It reeks even when you walk into an Apple store. It's like you have to be hip to be seen inside one.
          Bring it on.
          Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

What, Craig, you're not HIP ? You're Craigwatanabee fer chrissakes.
            Buy an Apple Craig, I guarantee you won't regret it.
            Oh, and your 6 kids will love you for it
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              I had an old Mac Plus in the front window of the aerospace museum at the airport. I set up a repeating slide show on the machine and it ran for 2.5 years, 24 hours a day, without once crashing.
              Once had a chance to pull up stats on a Cisco router in a very remote area. Uptime, something like 6 years.

Comment

Take it out for a farewell dinner and sell it before it depreciates beyond worth or dies before hand.

I build my own and pick motherboards that will stay current for a few years. That way even my three year old "Project" will be Vista Capable when I'm ready to buy it.

Hey it's been giving you over 2-years of loyal service...that's longer than some personal relationships!

But I'd cut my losses and dump it before it burns you and it will...
                LOL very funny Craig. You know after reading this thread I think I will explore a Mac next time but I'll just keep the Dell until it dies and consider it an experiment in longevity...can’t focus on one more project at the moment considering all of the work involved with the move. I’m just burnt out on selling stuff ~ can’t part with the lap top at this point, I have too many photos and too much music on it.

I work in the convention business and we have Mac in house a couple of times a year and one reason I didn’t buy one is because I can’t stand their cooler than thou attitude. But most of my friends own Macs and they are having great luck with them. So I’ll let you know how our relationship progresses before I dump the Dell.
                "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

I don't know how or why I quoted Mel up there. I must have hit quote and not realized.

Comment

The Apple Store design is very, very cool...esp. the one in Kahala Mall. But, jeez, Craig...I'm just one, ol', unhip, untechie tutu who spends way too much time in the store!!! Oh wait...maybe the "hipness" will eventually rub off on me! Maybe? Ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      The Apple Store design is very, very cool...esp. the one in Kahala Mall. But, jeez, Craig...I'm just one, ol', unhip, untechie tutu who spends way too much time in the store!!! Oh wait...maybe the "hipness" will eventually rub off on me! Maybe? Ya think?
                      Hey Sue, you're in "the biz", so, not matter what, you're a card carrying hipster...sorry, you have no choice.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Actually, one of the main things that made me go Mac was PC owners. They kept standing around talking gibberish about coding prompts and frustrated attempts trying to get their machines to work. I realized these people were being "coded" by their machines instead of the user simply being able to use his tool...
                        All depends on what's important to you; the work you can accomplish on your computer, or the work you do to get your computer to accomplish something.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

that has been a threat looming over mac users' heads for years and years. We have dealt with worms and bugs and stuff before. Par for the course, as far as any computer user is concerned. However, when it comes to smug, having been a mac user exclusively for 15+ years now, I assure you that I have run into more than my fair share of it by the windows crowd, as if I was some dolt who really doesn't realize that the bus left an hour ago. The collective pity cannot be matched by a few mac commericals, trust me.

pax

Comment

I think half the problem with this argument is that both side want to say that their way is better, when in reality it all comes down to preference and opinion.

I personally use Linux, and I think it's the best thing that ever happened to computers. For me it just works! However, there are thousands of people for whom Linux just doesn't work. It makes me wonder what their complaining about, and why they are cursing a system that works so well for me. Naturally I want to sing praises and tell them that my way is the only way, but thats just not true.

Comment

Anyone like the Wow Vista commercials?

We have a Vista PC and the first comment was "huh ... looks like a Mac interface."
                              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                                I think half the problem with this argument is that both side want to say that their way is better, when in reality it all comes down to preference and opinion.

I never said PC's were better. As a matter of fact I did say if you can afford a Mac then heck why not. AND Mac's have never had the threats of hackers in the past because they were always low-key. NOW however they are advertising, but it is the way they're advertising that is irking some people.

There are two ways to market a product. One way is to sell it's virtues, the other way is to denegrade the competition to make your product seem that much better. Why spend precious advertising dollars mocking the competition.

But the truth in advertising is simply this: If a product is that good you don't need to advertise it. BMW, Porche, even Jaguar never needed to advertise until they were hit with poor sales.

Apple never needed to advertise...

And it's not the Mac's that are keeping Apple afloat, it's the iPod! So why are they advertising Apple computers? Answer two paragraphs above.

A friend of mine programs Mac's. He's been doing it for decades! He told me once that what makes an Apple so easy to use up front is the myriad of complex code that runs quietly in the background. He also tells me that it doesn't take much to put that code into chaos once you know how to get in there. AND he did say that one day some program will leave that backdoor open and a hacker will find a way inside...and then it's all over for Apple's security.

And when that happens, it'll make Microsoft look like a blessed saint because so far there isn't a whole lot of tech support for Mac's if they go down.

If a PC running MS XP went down tonight, one could go down to CompUSA and pick up everything needed to rebuild a computer from the ground up. If a Mac went down, Oh well the Apple store opens bright and midmorning early the next day, but you won't find a motherboard for sale there.

PC's are relatively easy to fix, Mac's aren't. Kinda like a Chevy and a Ferrari. Ferrari's run fast and smooth but when they break...$$$$$ When Chevy's break any garage gearhead could fix one for a case of beer.

Anyway Mac's are great computers but I wouldn't be bragging about it, especially if I didn't know how the darn thing works because it will fail one day, there is no magic inside these computers. Plus when one starts to brag, bachi will soon follow, what goes around comes around. And that's my point of contention about Mac's, those commercials are all about bragging and that's not cool.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X