Eating cereal without milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: eating cereal w/out milk

Depends on the cereal. If I eat a not-so-sugary one, like Crispix, I do like a little milk on it (vanilla soy these days, just for a change of pace.) But I'd rather eat my sugar-bomb ones dry, as I did since childhood. Corn Pops, Cap'n Crunch (with Crunch Berries), Cocoa Krispies preferred.

Lately, I've also been trying varieties of pseudo-healthy flake-based cereals, and I prefer them dry as well.

Comment

I remember when I was a small child and household expenses tended to exceed income, my dad would make me his "Special Susie Breakfast"...shredded wheat biscuits with a little butter on top, sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar and topped with...hot water!!! His presentation and the story that went with it made me believe it was the treat to end all treats! I used to beg for that breakfast! I was probably in my 30s before Pop told me why he used water in place of milk...and how relieved he was that there was still some butter in the fridge! Once the financial tides turned in his favor he still continued to make that breakfast for special occasions!

While I haven't had this odd combo in years, this thread has reignited my desire for another "Special Susie Breakfast"! Somehow I don't think it'll taste the same without my dad preparing and serving it as the key ingredient was love.

Nowadays I don't eat much cereal but when I do it's granola in some way, shape or form. I usually mix the cereal with plain yogurt and blueberries; a kind of yogurt sundae. Like others, I will snack on dry granola.

Comment

I'm a big cereal snacker, especially at work. The cereal at my house usually varies because I've got all these nieces and nephews coming and going -- but I'll usually fill up a Ziploc and take it to work.

It's not as popular as it was before, but Cookie Crisp is still my favorite cereal munchie. I should be eating Cheerios, though.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Cracklin' Oat Bran

Comment

Originally posted by plawler View Post
            Cracklin' Oat Bran
            YEA!!! Too bad it's has SO much fat in it, something like 8 grams per serving. That's ALOT for cereal. That stuff is WAY yummy tho '
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I remember when I was a small child and household expenses tended to exceed income, my dad would make me his "Special Susie Breakfast"...shredded wheat biscuits with a little butter on top, sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar and topped with...hot water!!! His presentation and the story that went with it made me believe it was the treat to end all treats! I used to beg for that breakfast! I was probably in my 30s before Pop told me why he used water in place of milk...and how relieved he was that there was still some butter in the fridge! Once the financial tides turned in his favor he still continued to make that breakfast for special occasions!

While I haven't had this odd combo in years, this thread has reignited my desire for another "Special Susie Breakfast"! Somehow I don't think it'll taste the same without my dad preparing and serving it as the key ingredient was love.
              i've been online for several hours today, looking at different websites, and feeling troubled at the state of the world. this story made me feel much better. thank you, tutusue!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                i've been online for several hours today, looking at different websites, and feeling troubled at the state of the world. this story made me feel much better. thank you, tutusue!
                Aaaaah...that's cool that it lightened your day, ericncyn! And, I promise to never block the intersection of Piikoi and Lunalilo Sts.!

The Korean War was in full swing during some of the time I was indulging in shredded wheat with water! As long as my dad made breakfast all was right with the world!

And who can forget "milk toast"?!

Comment

Re: Eating cereal without milk?

When I was in high school, I was a vegetarian. I've gone back and forth for a couple years at a time since then. Anyway, I used to bring Grape Nuts to snack on during the day. Pour yourself a small ziplock bag full of Grape Nuts and bring along a straw. Then suck up gravel-sized nuggets of crunchy goodness to your heart's content!

Also, Smart Start is great to eat right out of the box. Here's a link to a blog entry that has something vaguely to do with Smart Start. Parental discretion is advised.

Comment

This is sort of on/off topic. I was in the store with my 3 BOYS w were in the cereal aisle.
                    They wanted cereal so I told them to pick out a box...They ALL picked out a bright pink box of BARBIE cereal!! LMAO!
                    Hubby is not too happy....I think it is hilarious since Hot Wheels and POC cereal was right by it.
                    We came home with Barbie cereal. Pink rocks!
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                      This is sort of on/off topic. I was in the store with my 3 BOYS w were in the cereal aisle.
                      They wanted cereal so I told them to pick out a box...They ALL picked out a bright pink box of BARBIE cereal!! LMAO!
                      Hubby is not too happy....I think it is hilarious since Hot Wheels and POC cereal was right by it.
                      We came home with Barbie cereal. Pink rocks!
                      LOL

What kind of cereal was it? (I'm assuming it wasn't really a barbie cereal with barbie shapes - maybe barbie was the featured toy or character for a limited time)

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      That's almost like saying, "can you drink without smoking?"
                      Yeah, I can drink non-alcoholic beverages w/out smoking.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I can.

Sometimes I want it without milk. Sometimes I want it with milk. Sometimes I can't (when no milk in the fridge).

Is there any relevance to your query?
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

in desperate times... cornflakes with OJ, just to get the stuff down. never again!

Comment

I'll let the cereal go stale if there isn't any milk in the fridge for it.

Tonight I bought two gallons of milk just to make sure I have enough for this week's breakfasts for my kids.

Milk and Cereal goes together like Guns and Roses...
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I can eat almost any cereal without milk. If I have milk with my cereal, I prefer to eat it fast and avoid having the milk turning the cereal soggy. There is nothing worst than milk saturated, soggy cereal.... that is about as bad as having cereal turn stale in the box without eating it.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                Is there any relevance to your query?
                                nah, just a random question.
                                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                                X