Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Blue Angels

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    Bummer. I too saw them in 2004. My favorite memory was "The Sneak" maneuver where a lone Blue Angel came out of nowhere 20 feet off the deck at Mach 1 creating the vapor donut around itself like the pic I found below. I really wish I got a pic of that... too cool.
    I remember that! That was probably the coolest part of the demonstration. Looked like he dropped in from over the Koolau range. I don't think he broke the sound barrier though. Close to it.

The air show continued today without the Blue Angels, but to honor the fallen pilot, who was identified as Lt. Commander Kevin Davis.

If you watch the video footage closely, it looks like he was rejoining the formation pulling a super-tight radius hi-G turn, possibly causing him to black out. Otherwise if it were mechanical failure, he should have had time to eject. Someone's gotta' have better video footage than the ones they've currently got.
    Last edited by Pomai; April 22, 2007, 12:06 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: The Blue Angels

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      pulling a super-tight radius hi-G turn, possibly causing him to black out. Otherwise if it were mechanical failure, he should have had time to eject. Someone's gotta' have better video footage than the ones they've currently got.
      That turn couldve induced a high-speed stall too. It looked as if the bottom fell from under it coming out of the turn. But if that was the case he could've ejected like you said. Maybe he was trying to steer clear and minimize casualties on the ground rather than eject.

Comment

Working...
      X