Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB TV to Start Morning News

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Has anyone locally worked at all the stations before? Dash has worked at KHON and KHNL I think.
    KalihiBoy
    Howard "Dash"efsky has worked at all stations: First, KGMB (doing sports, I think), then KHON (morning show w/ Leslie Wilcox), KITV (evening news), then finally KHNL.

Anyways, it's good to see a former reporter like Grace Lee to come back to Hawaii. What good timing too with the morning newscast since she also did mornings back in Sacramento.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      Stacy Loe is a mom with a toddler or early school-aged little one, so I don't know if she wants a morning slot! Don't know her, either, but you could be right and she could be ripe for a new view on the news. She's sharp and is a good reporter.
      I would think Stacy would look at the morning slot as a demotion. She is already weekend anchor, and even back when KGMB was still doing A.M. cutins, Britt Riedl was the one doing them. As a viewer, I would also feel slighted as Stacy is one of the most talented reporters in town, and being a 5-day a week morning anchor would effectively end her ability to cover news in that capacity.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        I would think Stacy would look at the morning slot as a demotion. She is already weekend anchor, and even back when KGMB was still doing A.M. cutins, Britt Riedl was the one doing them. As a viewer, I would also feel slighted as Stacy is one of the most talented reporters in town, and being a 5-day a week morning anchor would effectively end her ability to cover news in that capacity.
        Totally agree. My KGMB contacts say having Loe doing mornings would SUCK...with a capitol "C."

Any of you think getting up at 3:30am to do a morning show and having no life after work is a promotion? Puh-leeze.

Comment

Totally agree. My KGMB contacts say having Loe doing mornings would SUCK...with a capitol "C."

Any of you think getting up at 3:30am to do a morning show and having no life after work is a promotion? Puh-leeze.

Comment

I would think Stacy would look at the morning slot as a [I][B]demotion:
            As one who has done both shifts, I agree with you. I view mornings as a demotion. When I was moved to weekends I saw it as a promotion. A few years ago I was offered the morning slot again and said no because I dislike waking up at 2 a.m. AND trying to look decent.

Most viewers don't realize this, but some morning anchors also work their tails off. They are usually required to do the show, which is a lot longer than any other newscast, do some news updates, then go out and report on news of the day. They file that story before they go home.

When I was doing this, I would often have 10 hour days. This isn't a problem for me on a day or night shift, but there is something extremely fatiguing about doing this when you have woken up at 2 am. I firmly believe when you severely alter a circadian rhythm it really messes up your energy level.

So: demotion or promotion? There are different ways to look at it. One can see mornings as a promotion because one is on air 5 days a week, effectively a full time anchor.

Or one can see weekends as better if, as KHNL does, we have more resources put into the show. Weekends have more editors, reporters, photographers, more live shot capability, a graphics employee actually awake and in house, and an assignment editor.

I certainly don't mean to put down any morning show staffers so again, I repeat, there is no right way to view this one- at least when it comes to AFFILIATE news. (It'd be different if we were talking Today Show versus NBC Nightly News on weekends.) The differences are minimal, and it's just a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure how much reaction my comments will register but if I don't respond to anyone, it's because I websurf very rarely, so I'll probably be logged off for another 4 or 6 months.
            Halekulani.com
            Waikikiparc.com
            SmallTalk.HonAdvBlogs.com

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
              Oh yeah... true dat.
              Halekulani.com
              Waikikiparc.com
              SmallTalk.HonAdvBlogs.com

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                Totally agree. My KGMB contacts ...
                Off topic:

You have KGMB contacts?
                Do they know anything about when they'll finally get their over-the-air HD broadcasts (of primetime shows like the CSI's) done right? They started a little while back but had lip-sync issues, etc. Now they have some shows on some nites in HD and nothing on other nites. When will they finally have everything in HD? I hear they're fixing/getting a new media server...Is that nearly done? They already missed the season finale of Shark in HD, I hope they don't miss much more...

Thanks!
                I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Originally posted by 808htfan View Post
                  Off topic:

You have KGMB contacts?
                  Do they know anything about when they'll finally get their over-the-air HD broadcasts (of primetime shows like the CSI's) done right? They started a little while back but had lip-sync issues, etc. Now they have some shows on some nites in HD and nothing on other nites. When will they finally have everything in HD? I hear they're fixing/getting a new media server...Is that nearly done? They already missed the season finale of Shark in HD, I hope they don't miss much more...

Thanks!

I don't know the engineering side of KGMB sorry

My contacts are quite limited

Comment

thank god, because that "Morning Buzz" show is a show about nothing that really matters. When they do report real news, it's almost like none of the newscasters has a clue what the heck they just reported about...but if it's a two-headed monkey at the Vienna Zoo, they have a comment about it.

Comment

I do know that they are lobbying hard to secure a male reporter at KGMB. They are spending huge money to revamp that station.
                      Would not be surprised if they brought in non local talent.

Comment

They could hire Lyle Galdera. Where the hell is he?
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          They could hire Lyle Galdera. Where the hell is he?
                          Isn't Lyle the one who quit the news biz to become a Realtor?
                          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

If I remember what I wrote in my column correctly, he joined Elite Pacific Properties.

... and it's Galdeira, with an "i."
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

What's the status of the KGMB Morning News? Will we see it before the end of the year? I was hoping it would be ready when I came to visit the islands in May.

Comment

Originally posted by l14dap View Post
                                What's the status of the KGMB Morning News? Will we see it before the end of the year? I was hoping it would be ready when I came to visit the islands in May.
                                I thought they're going to start in the Fall season (August, September or October).
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X