Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Teacher's New Contract

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    As Pua`i points out, I'm not even a public-school teacher and therefore don't even have a say...
    Of the manymanymany words and perspectives I contributed to that thread, those are not among them. I have always respected your right to your perspective and your experience and ideas that found them, and in that same spirit I contributed my own.

pax

Comment

• Re: Teacher's New Contract

I've been giving this some thought in the bigger context of the drug problem as a whole. Frankly, testing the teachers is just a knee-jerk reaction to a few arrests. I really don't see it as solving a problem.

I think a much more meaningful solution is to start drug testing the students. First of all, minors don't have the same rights as adults so there's less of a rights issue to deal with. Second, since a young persons mind is still forming, drugs can do much more damage to them then to an adult. As far as safety, I think a student in the school is at far more risk from a drug-influenced peer then a druged-out teacher. As for the good of society, we can hope that if students can make it though public school drug-free, they'll be more likely to stay drug free. The only way to win the war on drugs is to deal with the demand side. Hopefully this will make a dent in the demand.

Comment

Working...
      X