Teacher's New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teacher's New Contract

We are struggling for teachers in this state already. So in our infinite wisdom, we come up with new ways to eject current teachers.

All you idiots with the "reefer madness" mentality are so silly.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

For the ones who got drug tested. Was the consequences of a positive outcome laid out before you before you took the test? What would happened if you refused? I think I would like to know these things before a drug test.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

In most institutional cases where drug testing is mandated, before the tests are administered, an organization will go thru an "awareness" class or a memo put out. Regardless the distribution of this information results in a written confirmation by both parties that all have understood the purpose, and consequences of drug testing.

Typically a class on what drug testing is all about, who gets it (random selection) and what happens if a test turns up positive is conducted prior to the tests themselves. It also informs the person being tested what their rights are and what appeals process is available. This orientation is very complete and covers virtually all aspects of a particular drug testing program.

Once this class is completed everyone present must sign a disclosure form indicating a complete understanding of what was just presented.

In some cases this written agreement serves as the first of several disciplinary measures taken against an employee. Signing that document pretty much states that you as an employee have been given your first warning about the company's policies regarding drug use.

Some like myself have refused to sign such a document because as a first warning in a series of escalating disciplinary measures leading to termination, this document assumes guilt without proof.

After a written and signed guarantee from my appropriate superiors that this will not constitute a first warning in a series of disciplinary measures leading to termination will I sign any document stating acceptance of the drug test program. Otherwise it's like a batter coming to the plate with one strike lodged against him before he even stepped up. Presumed guilt is what it is called, and harrassment is what it is labelled.

Scriv, I think what it comes down to is if agreeing to random drug testing in your collective bargaining contract constitutes a 1st warning in a series of escalating disciplinary measures leading to termination, then I wouldn't agree to drug testing.

However if agreeing to this term does not constitute a step towards termination, then I see no problem with mandating this test.

That's fair and honest.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          I for one agree with the teachers(who voted YES).... but test ALL of us in the DOE. If you have nothing to hide, why worry? I work in a High School in Hilo and the BIG complaints come from teachers who most suspect do drugs. The LOTUS notes this past week were unreal with all the talk of selling PEE and how to beat drug tests, the Principal finally put his foot down and said ENOUGH ,because teachers were sending messages to ALL of us on LOTUS and many did not want to hear their views.I guess they will find out Wednesday.

SOURCE

ITA. Drug testing was a part of my employment screening. Drug use has no place in the health care worker setting or in the education setting. Or in a multitude of other settings.

Hey, buddy---if you fucked up, you're outta here. No questions asked. You have the responsibility of other lives in your hands (and yeah, those kids lives ARE your responsibility, SFB). Straighten out and fly right, eventually maybe, but for now, you're outta here.

Pity for dirtbags is not warranted where kids are concerned, IMHO.

Comment

Where I worked we had a random drug testing policy for all employees, including those in the union. This was all part of our Teamsters collective bargaining agreement. If you tested positive you were sent to Castle Hospital and put into their drug rehab program, upon completion of the program you were allowed to return to your former position but would be subject to random testing for a year. If you tested positive at any time you were terminated. I do not recall anyone having a problem with this for it was all for the good of the company and yourself.
            What I don't understand is why the absentee ballots are not due until almost a week after the rank and file voted.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              If your favorite clothing store puts cameras in the dressing rooms in order to control shoplifting, you should have no problem with it, then. Because as long as you know you're not stealing, you've got nothing to hide.
              LOL...sure. If they wanna see Grandma in all her nekkid glory, bring on the Zofran.

Not a great analogy, IMHO.

My stealing the occasional full-figure brassiere has little impact on society as a whole.

A teacher who is conducting class while stoned, perhaps selling a bit on the side to support his habit?

Whole different animal, Scriv.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                A teacher who is conducting class while stoned, perhaps selling a bit on the side to support his habit?
                But being stoned or selling while on a school's grounds are one thing; what about the people who indulge, but only do it away from school? They would also be caught in the drug testing. And what about teachers who are chronic alcoholics? Shouldn't they also have to undergo some kind of screening?

Miulang

P.S. Breaking news: another labor union, the United Public Workers, which is comprised of about 9,000 healthcare and correctional workers, voted overwhelmingly (96% in favor) for a new contract that requires mandatory random drug testing and testing for alcohol. So for this particular union, I guess it was more about the money than the thought of losing more privacy.
                Last edited by Miulang; April 28, 2007, 01:58 PM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  But being stoned or selling while on a school's grounds are one thing; what about the people who indulge, but only do it away from school? They would also be caught in the drug testing. And what about teachers who are chronic alcoholics? Shouldn't they also have to undergo some kind of screening?

Miulang
                  Even if it's away from school,remember doing drugs is still not a legal activity. Do you get a free pass if you have a medical marijuana card from the State? I wonder?
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    So for this particular union, I guess it was more about the money than the thought of losing more privacy.
                    Or maybe it's not an issue at all about privacy for these folks? Regarding the occasional user, if it's a urine test, you've got plenty of time during summer vacation. Heck, if it's marajuna, all you need is a holiday weekend, that's enough time for it to clear out of the system.

Comment

When I worked for the Gas Company, I had a co-worker who for some reason always seemed under some influence of something.

We had a job where his task was to shut off a large valve precisely when I told him to. This valve controlled the flow of LPG at a rate of 130-GPM. The automatic bypass system that sensed pressure build up also needed to be closed so we could get an accurate flow of gas.

His job required quick reflexes and a clear mind. If we came in sick, the test was cancelled. I've cancelled trips to outer islands because I wasn't feeling 100%.

When it came time for him to react, he failed. When told repeatedly to open the bypass valve he lost his coherancy and had this sheer look of panic over his face. He had lost his ability to think responsively. As the pressure kept building up the test hoses and piping started buckling under the increasing pressure.

From 10-yards away I dropped my clipboard and calculator ran and leaped over the rattling pipes and ballooning hoses and threw open the valve just as the pressure reached 295-PSIG. The hoses and pipes were rated at 300-PSIG before they would have burst.

Turns out he was on prescription medication and never told me.

I'm married and at that time I had four boys and my lovely wife. I was the sole breadwinner for my family. His incoherancy almost cost both of us our lives. The impending accident would have meant a major ruptured Liquified Propane Gas line on a major fueling depot. The catastrophe if ignited would have taken out a very large percentage of Nawilili Harbor.

It takes five years to become certified to do what I did there. Five years because you cannot make any mistakes and you have to think with clear head. If you mask your ability to do your job the result could be fatal.

That day this co-worker almost made widows out of two wives and would have left his kids and mine without fathers. Imagine if my mind was a bit cloudy along with his. We'd be both dead.

I don't care if you're a janitor or a CEO. Drugs impair ones ability to think clearly and someone under the influence of a drug while on the job poses a major threat to those around them. For teachers, they teach to their students. A drugged out teacher or one that sells on campus will teach students the wrong message that drugs are okay. Is it okay? Hmmmm?

If you have to stop and ponder that question, it may be because your mind is not thinking responsively and one that would seem to be against any drug testing. It has nothing to do with privacy issues.

Scriv if decency is your concern you'd never want to go into a doctor's office for a complete physical examination where they stick their finger up the rectum while you squat on all fours. Talk about demoralizing especially when you uncontrollably piss when that cold finger is inserted. I'll take a stand up drug test anyday over that.
                      Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 28, 2007, 03:36 PM.

Comment

But Craig, in your gas company example, your coworker was taking a legally prescribed medication, correct? So what would happen in a similar instance where a teacher, on a legally prescribed med, started acting in a bizarre manner while teaching a class? Wouldn't that affect the class adversely too? If the administration didn't know about the teacher's medical challenges (due to privacy reasons), would that teacher be subjected to drug tests, which they would most likely pass (most drug screens look for specific types of drugs like opiates)? What happens to teachers who may be taking more than one legally prescribed drug which when taken together cause an adverse reaction that causes the teacher to act as though s/he was stoned? Or if the person was a diabetic?

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; April 28, 2007, 03:58 PM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

What I'm saying is that regardless if you are on prescription meddies, you still pose a risk. Disclosure of using drugs is one thing, non-disclosure resulting in ones death is by far more important.

We had another employee that had Hepatitis (the contageous one). Everybody knew an employee had it but the company refused to disclose the identity of that person because of privacy rights.

I complained that the company's refusal to identify that contageous person put everybody at work at risk. Privacy was one thing, but putting an entire workforce and the public at risk is a much more important issue.

The compromise was to put antibacterial soap dispensers in all washrooms. It seems there were only these dispensers in the Men's rooms only.

Whether one chooses to come to work incoherant and kills a fellow employee by running them over with a forklift...or sends a message to their students that taking drugs is okay..."see I'm still at work administering your tests" is equally wrong.

Random Drug testing sends the message to all employees that the company is watching out so keep your drugs and influencing behavior at home or face the possibility of being caught and reprimanded.

It is more of a deterrant than anything else. Something to scare you into thinking twice before shooting up before class. And wouldn't it be nicer and safer if everybody knew their workplace had workers that were thinking coherantly?

Comment

I'm glad you survived your gas company scare.

However, what is the "hose about to explode" equivalent in the hypothetical case of a teacher coming to work who had used marijuana after working hours? It's not as if schools are especially hazardous working/learning environments with physical danger around every corner...

Comment

The case being is that even if it's after working hours, the substance is still in the body affecting it. The possibility of a drug being in the system coming back the next day can pose a threat to the well-being of students.

And even if that's not the case, the mere fact that as we advocate saying no to drugs, if it became apparent that the mentor is using it sends the wrong message to students that it's okay to use drugs.

Teachers are held to a higher standard than others. Even Scriv indicated that no teacher should be indignified thru a drug test as if they are held to a higher standard than those who are subject to it (drug testing).

So if teachers feel that way, then teachers shouldn't use drugs. But there are teachers that don't act that way and because of those teachers, the whole lot becomes subject to testing.

The comparison to the expanding hose is that one co-worker under the influence can affect those around him/her and the students they are entrusted to educate. How can you educate when you have a mind altering substance in that noggin, negatively impacting your job performance. Meaning drugs in the system does no good when attempting to teach. It also sends the wrong message to kids that it's okay to come to work after taking a hit.

Taking a hit, shooting up, popping pills whatever...these are trademarks of drug abuse and in an environment of Zero Tolerance there is no place for drug abusers who are teachers in a school system where there are minors present.

Heck drug abuse is wrong anytime, and when one is found to be abusing drugs in a school system, then an administration has the right to screen all. It comes back to the termite ridden pillar holding up society. If you find one rotten pillar, you check all of them for possible damage. For failure to do so will be neglect and if more are found then everything comes tumbling down. If none are found you can rest that it was an isolated incident.

But how do you know unless you test. You can wait for a lawsuit, or you can be proactive and do something before it becomes catastrophic.

I tend to like to take care of a problem before it becomes too big. The DOE found a few bad apples in the barrel, it's their duty to check for more. Failure to do so is willful neglect and that is asking for a lawsuit. And damages will be paid for by all of us hard working taxpayers.

Comment

What about alcohol? Just because it's legal for adults to drink, should alcoholics be given a free ride? The new UPW contract not only requires drug screens but alcohol screens too. Alcohol abuse by young people is just as serious a problem as drug use is.

About 10 percent of the union workers will be tested for alcohol, and 25 percent will be tested for controlled substances
                                I like the focus of the UPW contract: it's not about punishment as much as it is about identifying abusers and getting them the help they need to get rid of their dependencies, whether it is drug or alcohol induced.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X