All American Rejects: How to Butcher a Song 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All American Rejects: How to Butcher a Song 101

I was going to post this in the "Most Annoying Songs" thread, but this is annoying on a whole nother level....

So, the song itself is not bad, but the singer absolutely BUTCHERS it with his vocal. He's singing full throttle over a simple piano part, like he's singing a full on hard rock track....completely emotionless...it borders on yelling, fer chrissakes !

Absolutley horrible...I know it's not my old age talking, because my fiancee's 16 year old said "I heard this song, and was wondering what was wrong with it".....

I don't know who needs to be slapped in the face with a slipper, the singer, the producer who lets this godawful performance get onto the record, or the public who are buying it....

Elton John, Paul McCartney and Al green should sit this kid in a room and school him on how to sing a ballad....

Sorry, this is a rant, I know, this has been bugging me since I heard this song....

Oh, it's by The all American Rejects....what a fitting name for this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XempunzHQ0U
    Last edited by tikiyaki; April 28, 2007, 04:02 PM.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: How to butcher a song : 101

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
    I was going to post this in the "Most Annoying Songs" thread, but this is annoying on a whole nother level....

So, the song itself is not bad, but the singer absolutely BUTCHERS is with his vocal. He's singing full throttle over a simple piano part, like he's singing a full on hard rock track....completely emotionless...it borders on yelling, fer chrissakes !

Absolutley horrible...I know it's not my old age talking, because my fiancee's 16 year old said "I heard this song, and was wondering what was wrong with it".....

I don't know who needs to be slapped in the face with a slipper, the singer, the producer who lets this godawful performance get onto the record, or the public who are buying it....

Elton John, Paul McCartney and Al green should sit this kid in a room and school him on how to sing a ballad....

Sorry, this is a rant, I know, this has been bugging me since I heard this song....

Oh, it's by The all American Rejects....what a fitting name for this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XempunzHQ0U
    Tiki, my friend, life is too damn short to watch crap. I'd rather you post a link of yourself. Then I'll watch. I am sure I would agree with you that this performer is tragic. What are the chances he knows it, too?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      Tiki, my friend, life is too damn short to watch crap. I'd rather you post a link of yourself. Then I'll watch. I am sure I would agree with you that this performer is tragic. What are the chances he knows it, too?

Slim to none....but someone has to say SOMETHING....

I only posted the Youtube link, cos it was the first thing I could find with this song on it. I really didn't even watch the video.

I know, life is short, and I'm learning to not be such an angry young(!) man.
      But once in a while, you get your blood boiling.

BTW....All my links are below in my signature :-)

Comment

Wouldn't that be any American Idull contestant?

Comment

I've been hearing that song on the radio a lot, but it didn't even occur to me how wrong those vocals were until I saw the video with the guy playing the piano and then suddenly screaming his head off. That's got to be the most unintentionally funny music video ever.
          "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

I think one of the worst remakes was Lean on Me. The video of the remake totally missed the mark on what the song was all about.

The song is about offering support when in times of trouble.

The video shows a bunch of kids having fun in a movie theater leaning on each other.

The remake turns a sombering song into a stupid one.

My kids tell me it's wrong for me to use their generational slangs. So I tell them to stop butchering our music into some modern adaptation. Where's the originality anymore. You can't make new songs so you recycle old ones and kids are dumbfounded when they find out it came from decades ago.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              I think one of the worst remakes was Lean on Me. The video of the remake totally missed the mark on what the song was all about.

The song is about offering support when in times of trouble.

The video shows a bunch of kids having fun in a movie theater leaning on each other.

The remake turns a sombering song into a stupid one.

My kids tell me it's wrong for me to use their generational slangs. So I tell them to stop butchering our music into some modern adaptation. Where's the originality anymore. You can't make new songs so you recycle old ones and kids are dumbfounded when they find out it came from decades ago.

I agree 100%. The original version by Bill Withers is a classic. The re-make is a mockery. No comparison at all ............

Comment

That's why I love Greenday. Their music is fresh, and unique and that's coming from a 47-year old fut who has to listen to their kids music whether I like it or not.

Comment

Hawaii produces a lot of artis--err, entertainers who fit this category. It hurts when classics are Jawaiianized.

I wanna find the factory that produces these entertainers, and blow it up.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I saw Cecilio of C&K in Tower Records one day when someone waved to him. He responded with a Jamaican accent. That's funny I didn't know he was Jamaican. Man he can't even distinguish himself as a Hawaiian singer or as a Jawaiian one.

Jawaiian may sound hip, but to Jamaicans, its as bad as a haole person trying to talk pidgin. It just doesn't sound right and they're only fooling themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      That's why I love Greenday. Their music is fresh, and unique and that's coming from a 47-year old fut who has to listen to their kids music whether I like it or not.
                      Your being sarcastic, right?
                      808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                      kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                      http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

How dare you say something against the Rejects? I love them! I love "It Ends Tonight," "Move Along," and "Dirty Little Secret."
                        'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                          Your being sarcastic, right?
                          Believe it or not I actually do like listening to Greenday. I guess somebody has to since the genre that accepted them rejected them because they went mainstream...or maybe because their music appealed to the parents of said genre and now Greenday has become unhip.

Comment

Re: All American Rejects: How to Butcher a Song 101

Anyone ever figure out when you passed a certain threshold and turned into your parents? For some reason, you can't understand the appeal of "current" music and it sounds like noise? And why I can't stand my teenage daughter taking control of the radio in the car? Like me for example, who was a huge fan of early hip hop in the 80s and into the mid-90s....and now can't stand ANYTHING that is considered hip-hop now. All these "crunk" songs sound like the exact same song to me!

Comment

Re: All American Rejects: How to Butcher a Song 101

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                              Anyone ever figure out when you passed a certain threshold and turned into your parents? For some reason, you can't understand the appeal of "current" music and it sounds like noise? And why I can't stand my teenage daughter taking control of the radio in the car? Like me for example, who was a huge fan of early hip hop in the 80s and into the mid-90s....and now can't stand ANYTHING that is considered hip-hop now. All these "crunk" songs sound like the exact same song to me!
                              To a certain extent I totally understand that...in this one instance tho', I don't think that is the case...like I said, the 16 year old in the house totally agreed.

I have heard other songs of thiers that I think are ok, like "Dirty Little Secret"...it's a decent powerpop song. This ballad tho is an atrocity...IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X