Best places in Hilo, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best places in Hilo, please

I'll be in Hilo on the 18th & love to sample the best local places. I like L&L but we have 'em here in OC.

Who wants to share their best places for local grines?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Best places in Hilo, please

Gotta hit Ken's House of Pancakes, at least once. If you're us, you'll be there twice a day, almost every day!

Comment

Blane's. Two locations. Do yourself a favor and resist the Cafe 100 hype.

It's not local food, but Cafe Pesto is awesome, too.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Blane's. Two locations. Do yourself a favor and resist the Cafe 100 hype.

It's not local food, but Cafe Pesto is awesome, too.
        Blanes sucks, it's as if they don't know the words, "Salt please".

And Scriv at least we do agree on this much, Cafe 100 ain't what it's touted to be.

You want decent in Hilo? Try Chiang Mai on Kalakaua street.

For the best Mexican cuisine head out to Pahoa Town to Luquin's. Undoubtely the best Mexican food in East Hawaii.

For authentic local Japanese food back in Hilo is Nori's

Encore is another great place for Oyaku Donburi
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

For the "one lb. laulau," try Kuhio Grill, which is the sister restaurant to Encore. KG also has taro hash patties on their breakfast menu.

Comment

Make 6:30p reservations at Seaside Restaurant and ask to sit on the deck. Sunset dining on the fishponds--beautiful.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              Make 6:30p reservations at Seaside Restaurant and ask to sit on the deck. Sunset dining on the fishponds--beautiful.
              If you want steamed mullet or any other fish, pre order it by phone or you may be disappointed(we went in at 5:30 , no one else there, and no fish). Another tip is if you eat the Prime Rib, don't get it Paniolo style unless you like it WELL.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Yeah, I heard of Ken's but the others will be on my "gotta-go" list. I'll be in Pahoa area to visit my buddy but since I'm from So. Cal., why would I want Mexican?

1-Lb Laulau???? As Homer Simpson might say..."Mmmmmm, laulau" - (drool).

Anybody know where I could get some good Kulolo?

Comment

Ken's is slipping. Don't eat the Won ton Min. It's pretty bad.

The best plate I've eaten at Ken's is #17 the Korean Kalbi plate. The ribs are thick!

Seaside's I heard makes a killer Steamed Mullet as Alohabear said. But sunset on the pond? Doesn't the sun set behind Mauna Kea?
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

In addition to the Seaside Restaurant and Aqua Farm, Ocean Sushi Deli, Kaikodo, Miyo's, O'Keefe's Bakery, the Hilo Bay Cafe, and the 'Imiloa Cafe are worth checking out.
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

My first post, Howzit people!

As for places in Hilo, One of the best for Chinese & Vietnamese is Hilo Rice Soup Noodle located in the old Food Fair. One of the best in taste , price, and healthy preparations of fresh ingredients. Their onion wrapped with beef and the onion sauce over the rice is out of this world! Same goes for their minced chicken and lettuse cups. I turned my good buddy actor Jason Scott Lee on to this place a few years ago and we used to frequent it often.

If your looking for the ultimate okazuya,Cant beat Hilo Lunch Shop for variety and taste.

Fine dinning, Bayside Cafe nad Cafe Pesto.

I 've been on a diet since January and no way have eaten at these establsiment for some time. But after this coming May when I do get to eat, here I come!

Da Hilo artist

Comment

This website Hilo Eats ,might help you. Hungry for pizza? Go to Pizza Hawaii in the Puainako Towncenter.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

forgot to mention

The antipasto before the entre at Pescatores is not to shabby.

Pizza Hawaii has got to have the best Pizza on the island.

1 plus 1 cafe's cashew shrimp!

Ruben's Mexican restaurants Beef nachos with everything on top and their awesome margaritas!

All of these places are but memories to me as I havent eaten at these places for 5 months! been on a crazy diet!

Comment

If it's still available, the Grilled Ahi Plate from Kay's Lunch Center is a must-try. It was a mouthgasm of three inch-thick ahi steaks fresh off the owner's fishing boat (he'd usually go on Wednesdays) with the requisite two scoops 'n mac ... all for $6.95!

But that was back during my internship at the Trib in '93, so YMMV. Cafe 100? Isn't that the Big Isle's answer to Zippy's?
                            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                              If it's still available, the Grilled Ahi Plate from Kay's Lunch Center is a must-try. It was a mouthgasm of three inch-thick ahi steaks fresh off the owner's fishing boat (he'd usually go on Wednesdays) with the requisite two scoops 'n mac ... all for $6.95!

But that was back during my internship at the Trib in '93, so YMMV. Cafe 100? Isn't that the Big Isle's answer to Zippy's?
                              MixedPlateBroker

Sorry, but the orginal Kay's Lunch Center is no more. Under new management and the food is different from before.

Somehow the new owners kept the trademark teriyaki with that smoky flavor.

Comment

Working...
                              X