Thread: Best places in Hilo, please

Orange County, CA (we don't say "OC" here)

Default Best places in Hilo, please

I'll be in Hilo on the 18th & love to sample the best local places. I like L&L but we have 'em here in OC.

Who wants to share their best places for local grines?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Best places in Hilo, please

Gotta hit Ken's House of Pancakes, at least once. If you're us, you'll be there twice a day, almost every day!

Blane's. Two locations. Do yourself a favor and resist the Cafe 100 hype.

It's not local food, but Cafe Pesto is awesome, too.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Blane's. Two locations. Do yourself a favor and resist the Cafe 100 hype.

It's not local food, but Cafe Pesto is awesome, too.
    Blanes sucks, it's as if they don't know the words, "Salt please".

And Scriv at least we do agree on this much, Cafe 100 ain't what it's touted to be.

You want decent in Hilo? Try Chiang Mai on Kalakaua street.

For the best Mexican cuisine head out to Pahoa Town to Luquin's. Undoubtely the best Mexican food in East Hawaii.

For authentic local Japanese food back in Hilo is Nori's

Encore is another great place for Oyaku Donburi

For the "one lb. laulau," try Kuhio Grill, which is the sister restaurant to Encore. KG also has taro hash patties on their breakfast menu.

Make 6:30p reservations at Seaside Restaurant and ask to sit on the deck. Sunset dining on the fishponds--beautiful.

pax

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    Make 6:30p reservations at Seaside Restaurant and ask to sit on the deck. Sunset dining on the fishponds--beautiful.
    If you want steamed mullet or any other fish, pre order it by phone or you may be disappointed(we went in at 5:30 , no one else there, and no fish). Another tip is if you eat the Prime Rib, don't get it Paniolo style unless you like it WELL.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Yeah, I heard of Ken's but the others will be on my "gotta-go" list. I'll be in Pahoa area to visit my buddy but since I'm from So. Cal., why would I want Mexican?

1-Lb Laulau???? As Homer Simpson might say..."Mmmmmm, laulau" - (drool).

Anybody know where I could get some good Kulolo?

Ken's is slipping. Don't eat the Won ton Min. It's pretty bad.

The best plate I've eaten at Ken's is #17 the Korean Kalbi plate. The ribs are thick!

Seaside's I heard makes a killer Steamed Mullet as Alohabear said. But sunset on the pond? Doesn't the sun set behind Mauna Kea?

In addition to the Seaside Restaurant and Aqua Farm, Ocean Sushi Deli, Kaikodo, Miyo's, O'Keefe's Bakery, the Hilo Bay Cafe, and the 'Imiloa Cafe are worth checking out.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

My first post, Howzit people!

As for places in Hilo, One of the best for Chinese & Vietnamese is Hilo Rice Soup Noodle located in the old Food Fair. One of the best in taste , price, and healthy preparations of fresh ingredients. Their onion wrapped with beef and the onion sauce over the rice is out of this world! Same goes for their minced chicken and lettuse cups. I turned my good buddy actor Jason Scott Lee on to this place a few years ago and we used to frequent it often.

If your looking for the ultimate okazuya,Cant beat Hilo Lunch Shop for variety and taste.

Fine dinning, Bayside Cafe nad Cafe Pesto.

I 've been on a diet since January and no way have eaten at these establsiment for some time. But after this coming May when I do get to eat, here I come!

Da Hilo artist

This website Hilo Eats ,might help you. Hungry for pizza? Go to Pizza Hawaii in the Puainako Towncenter.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

forgot to mention

The antipasto before the entre at Pescatores is not to shabby.

Pizza Hawaii has got to have the best Pizza on the island.

1 plus 1 cafe's cashew shrimp!

Ruben's Mexican restaurants Beef nachos with everything on top and their awesome margaritas!

All of these places are but memories to me as I havent eaten at these places for 5 months! been on a crazy diet!

If it's still available, the Grilled Ahi Plate from Kay's Lunch Center is a must-try. It was a mouthgasm of three inch-thick ahi steaks fresh off the owner's fishing boat (he'd usually go on Wednesdays) with the requisite two scoops 'n mac ... all for $6.95!

But that was back during my internship at the Trib in '93, so YMMV. Cafe 100? Isn't that the Big Isle's answer to Zippy's?

Quote Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    If it's still available, the Grilled Ahi Plate from Kay's Lunch Center is a must-try. It was a mouthgasm of three inch-thick ahi steaks fresh off the owner's fishing boat (he'd usually go on Wednesdays) with the requisite two scoops 'n mac ... all for $6.95!

But that was back during my internship at the Trib in '93, so YMMV. Cafe 100? Isn't that the Big Isle's answer to Zippy's?
    MixedPlateBroker

Sorry, but the orginal Kay's Lunch Center is no more. Under new management and the food is different from before.

Somehow the new owners kept the trademark teriyaki with that smoky flavor.

Next thing you know you won't be able to get steak & eggs for < $4 at Dick's Coffee Shop and then work it off at Spencer's.

Progress, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    Next thing you know you won't be able to get steak & eggs for < $4 at Dick's Coffee Shop and then work it off at Spencer's.

Progress, I tell you.
    Dick's Coffee Shop is another one that went out of business years ago. When my wife and I were college students at UH Hilo, Dick's was the best deal for poor college students. Oh how I miss their Rhubarb pie ala mode!

As for Spencers, still in business and one of my all time addictions when I was a bodyubuilder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilo Artist View Post
    Dick's Coffee Shop is another one that went out of business years ago. When my wife and I were college students at UH Hilo, Dick's was the best deal for poor college students. Oh how I miss their Rhubarb pie ala mode!

As for Spencers, still in business and one of my all time addictions when I was a bodyubuilder.
    Dick's Coffee HOUSE was at the Hilo Shopping Center and moved to the Prince Kuhio Mall for a spell. It was replaced by Dottie's, which also closed. The site is beiing taken over by IHOP. Planter's Bar was connected to Dick's at the Hilo Shopping Center.

PAUL'S COFFEE SHOP was located on Keawe St. across Spencer's Fitness.

There was also DICK'S SNUG HARBOR, a bar, located at Suisan.

These were part of Okimura Enterprises (brothers Dick and Paul). They owned the Hukilau Hotels, now named the Seaside Hotels (Hilo, Kona, Maui).

So...anybody got a good recommedation for good Kulolo?

Quote Originally Posted by hedkikr View Post
    So...anybody got a good recommedation for good Kulolo?
    There are these people who sell Hawaiian food on the side of the road when you pull out from the Puna side of the Prince Kuhio Mall. I have bought Lau Lau and Kulolo from them once and it was really good!
    Only in Hilo will you still see people parked on the side of the road selling everything from Patele and Hunto rice, Lau Lau, Smoked Meat and sausage, whole ahi and aku, throw nets, and even puppies that is not fo eat but for pets.

Unhappy Re: Best places in Hilo, please

Hooo MAN!!! Now I really like fly to Hilo....got choke roadside food vendors making and selling ono kaukau....ovah heah in oahu, I think the officials wen go chase da food vendors away....wit da exception of those who like sell deah cars!

Pretty soon Department of Health probably going shut down those roadside vendors too. The police already scared away those buggahs on Volcano Highway near Panaewa Zoo cutoff. But den was getting rediculous. Started with this one guy selling fishing nets, and den Fresh Aku (at 4pm, go figure). Then one month last year, CHOKE people was selling everything from puppies to mini ATV's. I think that did it.

One thing though, one of my co-workers who has lived forever in Hilo told me of this Korean food place on Kilauea near UH Hilo. He swore it was DA BOMB!

Well, I'm sorry but...I had better on Oahu at that place in Manoa Marketplace.

Oh and I discovered that KTA in the Puianako Shopping Center makes some pretty good baked Manapua! Yeah good manapua in Hilo!!!! But dey make only baked, but they pack the bun with lots of cat meat...um I mean char sui

Sorry I tell everybody when you nail one cat on the road it looks like minced char sui like da kine you put in good manapua.

Ever notice there's at least one dead cat on the freeway as you go kokohead bound on the H-1 as you take the King St. cutoff? And there's always a dead cat just before the Keaau Recycle center going Pahoa Bound on Highway 130 (Pahoa highway)? What's the connection? There's a Humane Society right across the street.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 4th, 2007 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedkikr View Post
    I'll be in Hilo on the 18th & love to sample the best local places. I like L&L but we have 'em here in OC.
    L&L is different on the mainland than it is here in Hawaii.

uh.. wait:

"Join Date: Mar 2007

"I'll be in Hilo on the 18th & love to sample the best local places. I like L&L but we have 'em here in OC."

ok, what is it. You do say OC there? or don't say OC there? Or DO say oh see doseedoe... or
    uhhh I getting dizzy!