Home Cooked Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Cooked Steak

What's your favorite way to prepare steak at home? How do you season?

I usually fry mine medium rare in a cast iron grill, seasoned with pepper, garlic powder, and worcestershire. I add a little butter after it's done. Sometimes I fry onions and mushrooms.

I prefer hibachi, but it's easier to do it over the stove.

How do you guys cooks yours? I need some ideas!

Re: Home Cooked Steak

If I am making steak than I usually make steak and Fettucine Alfredo.
    I lay the steak on some foil and salt, garlic, and throw a little pepper and butter on it. And a splash of Wort. sauce and I broil it...HIGH heat! in the oven just for a few minutes then I flip it.

We likes our steaks bloody in this house!
    If it's still moo~ing, it's perfect! j/k

We like it crispy on the outside and bloody in the middle.

Oh and I throw onions on it too for flavor. Usually the sweet yellow kind. depends on what I have in the garden.

But I also have made it this way.
    I soaked it all day in 1/2 OJ and 1/2 BBQ sauce or terryaki marinade. Then I grill it outside. I like that the best.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Outside on the grill!

I love it when the wife marinates the leaner cuts and makes London Broil in the oven. English style adobo!

Comment

all time favorite!

Get ribeyes THICK

bring some veg oil to almost smoke point-toss in halved jalapenos and garlic cloves,brown them suckers

stuff in steaks or just crush on top in large baking pan, (salt and peeper of course) add a can of beer and marinate-cook to your liking -hey some like it hot! and the others just suck :P

oops and GRILLL
        Last edited by dallascat70; May 2, 2007, 12:54 AM. Reason: Cause i forgot not everyone was on Hawaii to know to grill 24/7

Comment

I'm a purist (sort-of).

1. Outdoor grill
          2. Salt
          3. Pepper
          4. Garlic powder

High flame on a hot grill to seer both sides, then lower the flame cooking to Medium/Medium rare.

BTW: Is the beef on the BI good quality/inexpensive due to Parker Ranch being right there?

Comment

On the GRILL baby !

A little garlic salt, red wine poured over top while cooking.

Serve it up with sautee'd cremimi mushrooms, sautee'd in garlic, olive oil, red wine and dry basil....

Heaven
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Anykine cut, rub it generously with crushed garlic then sprinkle with Hawaiian salt and lots of black pepper. Sear it over hot coals till med rare. Pau.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                Anykine cut, rub it generously with crushed garlic then sprinkle with Hawaiian salt and lots of black pepper. Sear it over hot coals till med rare. Pau.
                Exacto mundo!!! But in my case, I fry it in Hot oil den add fresh mushrooms and Maui onions.

Mouth watering....NOW STOP IT!

I'm hungry and no moa steak in my ice-box!

I gotta wait till my grandson come den I can go store.heheheh

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by hedkikr View Post
                  I'm a purist (sort-of).

1. Outdoor grill
                  2. Salt
                  3. Pepper
                  4. Garlic powder

High flame on a hot grill to seer both sides, then lower the flame cooking to Medium/Medium rare.

BTW: Is the beef on the BI good quality/inexpensive due to Parker Ranch being right there?

As for the beef here on BI, I think it's the same as everywhere else. We have the Safeway mainland variety as well as Big Island grain fed. Food here on BI is very inexpensive compared to other islands I have been to recently.

Comment

Seasoned with minced garlic, black pepper, grilled to medium rare. Served with sauteed mushrooms and Maui onions. 1 to 1-1/2" strip loin (NY steak), T-bone, porterhouse, sirloin, bone-in rib, ribe eye (Spencer, Delmonico), in no particular order.

Comment

Method 1:
                      Find small end ribeye.
                      Melt oil and butter in pan, turn to high heat.
                      Season steak with fresh pepper, garlic salt, shoyu.
                      Place in pan, add splash of worchetshire.
                      Sear both sides, turn down heat til desired bloodiness.

Optional step: remove steak midway, turn heat to med-high, add 1/4 cup worshetshire and reduce til its thick. re-add steak and finish cooking.
                      Optional: Sauteed mushrooms or grilled onions

Method 2 (for cheaper cuts of meat)
                      Marinate steak for a few hours in 1c shoyu, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1tbsp honey, some chopped green onions, 1 tsp sriracha sauce. Grill or Fry

bonus points: top with that sweet-hot chili sauce or that (filipino?) vinegar/onion/suger sauce

I found some cedar planks at walmart, so this weekend i'm going to try to make cedar plank steak on the grill. I had some at Emril's in Vegas a few years ago and it was ono!
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

London Broil, forked well, or pounded with the meat mallet, until its a little mushy.

Then marinate for 24 hours in a peppery, garlic, bbq, you know.

Then flash grilled, 6-7 minutes per side, two times. Well Done on the outside, touch of medium in the middle, with criss-cross diamonds.

Serve with sauteed veggies, mostly mushrooms. And a dash of horseradish.

Real men need more than a puny little steak. Bring on the London Broil.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I guess I am making steak for dinner and avoiding this thread because I am starving for some bloody meat now!
                          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                          Sharing withother survivors...
                          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

A tip on getting a good steak for less $$$$.

Boneless RIB EYE (Spencer) steak goes for $7-9/lb. You can get the same tenderness and flavor from a CHUCK EYE at around $4-5/lb. It's the same muscle that continues from the top loin, rib, and chuck sections.

Want to save more? Get a boneless CHUCK ROAST ($3-4/lb.) and section out the chuck eye. You need to know what to look for as the eye section can range from practically non-existent to almost 1/2 of the roast.

Ever see a BLADE CHUCK ROAST in the meat section? This sometimes goes on sale for under $2/lb. The eye portion is easily discernable and can be around 1/3 of the total weight. Because of the bones, it's a little harder to section the tender steak out, but it isn't rocket science, either. Look for the ones with the biggest "eyes." You can also tell which are the better ones by the shape of the blade bone - avoid the ones with the "ridge" in the middle of the "blade."

The tougher part of the chuck is perfect for stews and less expensive than the pre-cut cubes of stewing beef. Whenever I get the hankering for a hearty stew, I always buy a chuck roast and scoop out the eye for a steak.

My dad was a butcher over a half-century ago and showed this angle to me.

Comment

Love rib eye...marinated in an oil & vinegar style salad dressing. Then, George Foreman and I do the happy dance together! I don't have easy access to an outdoor grill, which is my preferred way to cook a steak. The GF grill is fine with me!

Comment

Working...
                              X