Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Cooked Steak

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I'm in A building and the grill is near C building. Too lazy...and no room in the hale for charcoal!

The good news? Tattrat's moving into the condo building where I'm moving 2 months before he does!!!!!! There's no way I'll cook for him but I'm willing to bring any wine he wants! I can roll home

And, no...I'm not...read NOT...giving up Makaha!!!

damn, that's a long drive from Hawaii Kai! By the way, where's Stafford, Sue?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      damn, that's a long drive from Hawaii Kai! By the way, where's Stafford, Sue?
      No worry...Tattrat won't be in Makaha!

Stafford is now at Connie Gayle's in Moiliili.

Comment

My best success with home-cooked steak -- since my gas grill seems to flame up and char everything -- has been with Alton Brown's Pan Seared Rib Eye recipe/method.

Naturally, adjust seasonings per preference.

To me, shoyu is the best, nay ONLY, steak sauce in the world.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...936_99,00.html
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
          My best success with home-cooked steak -- since my gas grill seems to flame up and char everything -- has been with Alton Brown's Pan Seared Rib Eye recipe/method.

Naturally, adjust seasonings per preference.

To me, shoyu is the best, nay ONLY, steak sauce in the world.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...936_99,00.html
          Ah, Erika, you're such a local girl. Be still my heart. Now which shoyu is it that you use on your steaks? This is a test.

Comment

Porterhouses are *the* best steaks on the planet. For those of you who didn't grow up raising cattle: the p-house looks like a tbone at first glance and if you debone it, the larger steak is sold in the stores at the NY cut and the smaller is called filet mignon.

Similarly, if you take the bone off of the ribeye, it is sold as a spencer. People argue for buying it boneless because one cannot eat the bone, but the fact is that the bone stabilizes it during cooking and keeps the meat softer/juicier.

Among my talents honed in my youth is the ability to name every cut, from steak to roast to bone. The men would be cutting and the women would be inside, "making wrap factory".

As for cooking, I run them through the broiler of my gas stove and it comes out perfect everytime. And the best seasonings are the ones that don't get in the way of the meat's taste.

pax

Comment

I found some cedar planks at walmart, so i made some cedar plank steak. i bought some ribeye from safeway. it came out pretty good, not too stong. it smelled awesome while it was cooking!
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I use a Teflon coated frying pan, whatever butter, margarine or vegetable oil spread (at least for 2020) I have in the fridge, placing it in the pan and using one of the low heat settings on an electric stove. I try to fry the steak at 5 minutes per side, turning it 4 times, but I will try turning it 6 times the next time I make a steak.

I haven't paying much attention to the cuts I am purchasing but after trying a T-bone I will try to avoid that cut.

I normally purchase steaks from Target mainly because they have a longer shelf life like about 2 weeks or so as opposed to a few days from Foodland Farms.

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                What's your favorite way to prepare steak at home? How do you season?

How do you guys cooks yours? I need some ideas!

Comment

Stir fried with onions and celery.

Comment

Trying to be aware of the types of steaks I get from Target. On the last trip in late July I picked up a Ribeye and a New York Strip Streak. Just had made the ribeye tonight (7/24/20) and I will make the New York Strip tomorrow (7/25/20).

I tried doing 5 minutes per side for the first 4 turns and then on the last 2 turns at 4 minutes per side. It came out okay for the Ribeye.

Comment

"Name The Beef" Contest awarding $10K to most creative beef brand name | Business | kitv.com

Wea da beef.

Comment

The last year or two the supply of steaks available at Target (Ala Moana) have been kind of low. Sometimes no steaks are available from there.

I do try to get the Ribeye as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                        X