Thoughts on Larry Price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Larry Price?

Another case of making a big deal about nothing.

First of all, look at the source......Larry Price. If you ever listen to the morning show, you might agree that he's not the most intelligent man in the word. He constantly loses his train of thought, always fumbles over his words. My favorite part is when there's about 15 seconds of dead air space because his finger slipped off the page of the paper he was reading the news from.

To even think he's a credible journalist and worthy of all this attention is pretty dumb. But I guess in the wake of Don Imus, there's still a lot of people itchy to point a finger at an irresponsible journalist.

Larry Price's stupid attempt to wave the Hawaiian flag over the evil white man was just a dumb man making a dumb comment. If he makes an apology about being stupid, then go right ahead. Other than that, why should anyone care.

Man, Larry Price becoming a "Shock-Jock"....isn't this one of the signs of the Apocolypse ???

DD
    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Yes, talk-radio hosts are NOT journalists.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

more than the "blue eye" part is the context. He should speak only for himself.

Or should I say, "on behalf of locals™ everywhere, thanks for doing your part to make us look stupid." What a putz.

pax

Comment

On one level, I can't keep Na Leo Pilimehana's song "Local Boys" out of my head.

Blue eyes and blond hair don't thrill me
          'Cuz I'm in love with the local boys
          Don't try to convince me
          Because local boys are no ka oi!

Or maybe I should be thinking of Elton John?

Blue eyes
          Baby's got blue eyes
          Like a deep blue sea
          On a blue blue day

But seriously... both Na Leo and Sir Elton were singing about what they liked, or didn't like, about the soulful eyes of the boys they love.

That's not what Larry Price was talking about. He wasn't talking about what kinds of eye colors he liked or didn't like; he was pretty clearly asserting that blue-eyed people aren't honest. That's just plain old racial stereotyping.

On a completely different Larry Price related note, why does the man talk the way he does? I'm not talking about the content, I'm talking about the delivery -- the way he slurs his words, the way he wanders way off topic... is he suffering from a health problem? Does he have early-stage Parkinson's, or something? I remember him being considerably more articulate when he was younger...

Comment

When I read the transcript of the conversation, my gut feeling was that it was improper. If a person doesn't care what another person thinks then why engage in conversation?

If it were anybody else not as popular as Larry Price, I'm sure they would have been forced to step down or make some public apology. We are always too quick to condemn an individual for their off the cuff remarks as if to cover our own weaknesses.

Larry Price doesn't have to apologize as Scriv indicated, however, it wouldn't be a bad gesture to do so.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

In The Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...05060355/1001/

Price's remarks prompt apology

By Derrick DePledge
              Advertiser Government Writer

"The general manager of KSSK Radio apologized yesterday for remarks by morning talk-show host Larry Price, who triggered a storm of criticism after he asked state Senate Majority Leader Gary Hooser where he was born and whether he had blue eyes.

"Larry Price would like to apologize for the inappropriate personal comment directed to Senator Hooser during Friday morning's interview," Chuck Cotton said in a statement. "We value the trust that our listening 'ohana places in us and we extend our apologies to the senator, the residents of Hawai'i and to our KSSK listeners."

All Pau...

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Unspoken message from Mr. Cotton: "Please, non-Hawaii-born, "blue-eyed" advertising clients, don't pull your advertising dollars!"

Btw, the Advertiser story links to an mp3 of the entire interview, not just the inflammatory section. I, for one, appreciate them providing that context.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

"The general manager of KSSK Radio apologized yesterday for remarks by morning talk-show host Larry Price, who triggered a storm of criticism after he asked state Senate Majority Leader Gary Hooser where he was born and whether he had blue eyes.
                  /snip
                  "Larry Price would like to apologize for the inappropriate personal comment ...

Auntie Lynn
                  It's telling that the GM apologized but (at least as far as I have heard) Larry Price has not.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    In The Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...05060355/1001/

Price's remarks prompt apology

By Derrick DePledge
                    Advertiser Government Writer

"Larry Price would like to apologize for the inappropriate personal comment directed to Senator Hooser during Friday morning's interview," Chuck Cotton said in a statement. "We value the trust that our listening 'ohana places in us and we extend our apologies to the senator, the residents of Hawai'i and to our KSSK listeners."

All Pau...

Auntie Lynn
                    All Pau? I don't THINK so.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

At this point, I wouldn't bother accepting anything from Larry Price. If someone has to apologize on his behalf, then you KNOW if he did finally offer an apology it would be a hollow one, so feh. Price is a hack trying to earn a living by pandering to his listeners.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                        Unspoken message from Mr. Cotton: "Please, non-Hawaii-born, "blue-eyed" advertising clients, don't pull your advertising dollars!"

Btw, the Advertiser story links to an mp3 of the entire interview, not just the inflammatory section. I, for one, appreciate them providing that context.
                        RED FLAG ALERT!!! Okay there's an MP3 out there with the entire interview? Who recorded it and more importantly, who is sanctioning it's public release?

Now I know the airwaves are public domain but the content of that interview is copyrighted material. Yup this ain't over yet!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If there is a class action suit against that old fart, let me know where to sign up. He can't even speak in an understandable manner. And if you think this is the first time he has been a racist on this show you aren't listening. The only good thing about their show is the traffic reports. He can't even start to tell legislators how they work, its such an overwhelming wheel and deal situation a guy like him would be driven to drink. Oops he already is.

A public spanking would be appropriate.

Another comment if I may. In Somalia when the militant groups meet each other in their Toyota Pickups with machine guns mounted on top, they have a representative recite their "genealogy" and allegiances. My point and one I have felt for years (Born and raised in Hawaii) is we, fine friends, are no different than the thugs/freedom fighters of Somalia. Given the situation we slither with the best of them. Price has a lot of credence in our community and now has a lot of explaining to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ongre View Post
                            If there is a class action suit against that old fart, let me know where to sign up.
                            I'm sorry; I think I missed something here. What law did Dr. Price break, or whose rights did he infringe upon?
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                              Talk about a local version of Don Imus.
                              At least Al Sharpton's not here. Hehehe.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                I'm sorry; I think I missed something here. What law did Dr. Price break, or whose rights did he infringe upon?
                                Socially, probably none. But all employers have the no discrimination code about respecting race, religion, etc., and in the spirit of that, a professionally paid news person should adhere to the spirit of those codes.

But, no one has to like any one else in the world. Larry might truly believe that haoles have no right to legislate in Hawaii. But when he is on the air, he's an employee and his message is his company's. If his company is OK with Larry's assertions, then no apology would have came out of Clear Channel. The apology as presented rings hollow. He has the privilege of being a personality in town; it should be used for the greater good and not abused by throwing his weight around. I expect he thought he'd get more support for his statements. But people quoted as driving around with their kids while this was going on indicated they were embarrassed, especially those who had their kids in their cars.

You oughta know, Scriv, we're trying to teach our kids about tolerance. It's not your job, but as a parent, I'm trying to do that, and that includes having them understand that their being haole could be used against them. Why should that have to be?
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X