Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Larry Price?

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    You oughta know, Scriv, we're trying to teach our kids about tolerance. It's not your job, but as a parent, I'm trying to do that, and that includes having them understand that their being haole could be used against them. Why should that have to be?
    It shouldn't, of course. But the reason I posed the question is that I get really annoyed when people start talking about lawsuits against people who have exercised -- completely within the bounds of the law -- their right to free speech. That right has got to be defended as tenaciously when the speech is repugnant as when it's agreeable. This is a better, more important lesson to be teaching our kids, don't you think?

As for tolerance, it's GOT to apply to everyone, including people who don't offer it in return, or else it's not tolerance. We need to teach our kids that there are people out there with ugly ideas, and that there always will be, and that we have to offer the hand of peace to them as readily as we do to the people with ideas similar to our own. That's what tolerance is.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      At this point, I wouldn't bother accepting anything from Larry Price. If someone has to apologize on his behalf, then you KNOW if he did finally offer an apology it would be a hollow one, so feh.
      Indeed. This is what happened this morning, according to the Advertiser:

"KSSK morning radio personality Larry Price apologized this morning for comments he made during an on-air interview with state Senate Majority Leader Gary Hooser on Friday.
      "After today's 7 a.m. news update, Price said he wanted to apologize to KSSK listeners and the people of Hawai'i for his "inappropriate remarks that were said to Sen. Hooser on Friday morning's show.

"If my comments were offensive to anyone, I realize it was wrong to make them," Price said. "There is no room for this type of insensitive language that I used. I have learned from this and I hope that Sen. Hooser will accept my apology."

Price's KSSK partner, Michael W. Perry then said, "That's it? You're apologizing?"

Price: "Yup. It's the right thing to do."

Perry: "You know what I think?"

Price: "I'm afraid to ask you what you think."

Perry: "i think you're crazy. You don't have to apologize."

Price: "Nah. The apology stands."

Price's apology came two days after KSSK General Manager Chuck Cotton issued an apology on Price's behalf for the comments he made to Hooser during the interview."

More info at the link above.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It just proves that people will listen to something but only hear what they want to hear, not necessarily what is spoken, or the context in which it is spoken. Regardless, talk show hosts are not journalists and are not being paid to be objective.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          "If my comments were offensive to anyone, I realize it was wrong to make them," Price said. "There is no room for this type of insensitive language that I used. I have learned from this and I hope that Sen. Hooser will accept my apology."
          A chilling effect on the free expression of ideas, even inappropriate or stupid ideas. Only say things that won't offend anyone? Well, I'm offended by that!

Price has his job because he speaks his mind. His comments say more about him than they do about Hooser.

And, hey, I'm a blue-eyed Radford grad too. BTW, Radford High School is located in Hawaii, and turns 50 this year.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Price: "Yup. It's the right thing to do."

Perry: "You know what I think?"

Price: "I'm afraid to ask you what you think."

Perry: "i think you're crazy. You don't have to apologize."
            I stopped listening to those clowns after the US attacked Iraq the 2nd time around. Got tired of hearing stupid comments about what they thought about the war. Instead, I tuned in to NPR to hear reports about what was happening.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. But public personalities on the air have to temper the expression of those opinions knowing that their comments reach a large audience. If they proclaim it's OK to disregard someone's lifetime experience and discriminate against them based upon race, that only encourages thousands to feel likewise. That's inciteful and irresponsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
              I stopped listening to those clowns after the US attacked Iraq the 2nd time around. Got tired of hearing stupid comments about what they thought about the war. Instead, I tuned in to NPR to hear reports about what was happening.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. But public personalities on the air have to temper the expression of those opinions knowing that their comments reach a large audience. If they proclaim it's OK to disregard someone's lifetime experience and discriminate against them based upon race, that only encourages thousands to feel likewise. That's inciteful and irresponsible.
              But as you did, people do have a choice of either tuning in or not. If people call in to complain and more importantly, if sponsors start withdrawing their advertising bucks, that will force things to change, but until then, caveat emptor.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think this is an appropriate response. I said in my first response, he only owes an apology if (a) what he said is not what he meant, or (b) the offense people took is not what he meant. It sounds like he's not backtracking on (a), which I admire only because he should remain true to himself without apology. Apologizing for (b) makes sense, because I don't believe he meant to be offensive.

This was a good apology.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Actually, if you listen to what took place immediately AFTER the oft quoted "exchange," you quickly realize that Price's purpose in making the remarks was to illustrate his perception of hypocrisy in Hooser, who similarly said that Fred Hemmings shouldn't be taken seriously when he spoke about Kauai issues, because he wasn't from Kauai.

Comment

Originally posted by plawler View Post
                    Actually, if you listen to what took place immediately AFTER the oft quoted "exchange," you quickly realize that Price's purpose in making the remarks was to illustrate his perception of hypocrisy in Hooser, who similarly said that Fred Hemmings shouldn't be taken seriously when he spoke about Kauai issues, because he wasn't from Kauai.
                    The context Hooser was using was not based on physical characteristics of Hemmings, though. It was based on the fact that Hooser had better know about Kauai and its issues whereas Hemmings, who is from Honolulu, would probably not. Call it "islandism" if you must, but it isn't racism. Being from a Neighbor Island, I know EXACTLY what Hooser meant by his remark.

Miulang

Comment

The answer to free speech that offends is not to silence those who offend, but to counter them with further free speech from other perspectives.

Perhaps the best option for Mr. Price would be to invite Sen. Hooser onto the program, and apologize to him in person - then allow the Senator to address the Perry & Price audience with his own views on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                        ...look at the source......Larry Price. If you ever listen to the morning show, you might agree that he's not the most intelligent man in the word. He constantly loses his train of thought, always fumbles over his words. My favorite part is when there's about 15 seconds of dead air space because his finger slipped off the page of the paper he was reading the news from.

To even think he's a credible journalist and worthy of all this attention is pretty dumb. But I guess in the wake of Don Imus, there's still a lot of people itchy to point a finger at an irresponsible journalist.

Larry Price's stupid attempt to wave the Hawaiian flag over the evil white man was just a dumb man making a dumb comment. If he makes an apology about being stupid, then go right ahead. Other than that, why should anyone care.
                        I have to agree with this sentiment. I am so glad I am not the only one shrugging at this situation, and saying, “who actually takes Larry Price seriously, anyway?” Part of the successful chemistry of a top-rated commercial deejay team, is that “opposites attract.”

In the case of Perry and Price, I always felt that Perry represented the intelligent, witty and sensible part of the equation. Price represented the grumpy yet funny, cynical man on the street perspective. These days, he seems more senile then anything else.

I personally was appalled at Price’s comments, but I respect that he is giving a U.S. Constitutionally-protected opinion that should not be silenced. Realize that he is a commentator, not a journalist. There is a difference. I doubt Larry Price would even consider himself serving in an objective capacity. IMHO, the only real journalist at KSSK is their news anchor, Julia Norton-Dennis.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Being from a Neighbor Island, I know EXACTLY what Hooser meant by his remark.
                          Amazing how you can sit on your high horse in Seattle and tell all of us "over here" how things are done on the "CONUS," then try to claim that you're from Hawaii.

You've been gone for decades. You're a FORMER Hawaii resident.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                            Amazing how you can sit on your high horse in Seattle and tell all of us "over here" how things are done on the "CONUS," then try to claim that you're from Hawaii.

You've been gone for decades. You're a FORMER Hawaii resident.
                            Seems to me someone is just trying to inflate his post count.

Miulang

Comment

Seems to me someone is just trying to inflate his post count.
                              Nope, that's what YOU'RE doing. Go ahead and ignore my opinion, but it's a valid one.

You don't get to lecture us "over here" in Hawaii, and yet still try to claim you're local.

You're not.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                                Nope, that's what YOU'RE doing. Go ahead and ignore my opinion, but it's a valid one.

You don't get to lecture us "over here" in Hawaii, and yet still try to claim you're local.

You're not.
                                Who's lecturing??? There are others who have posted (who live in Hawai'i, BTW) who share my sentiments.

Comment

Working...
                                X