Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel

Anyone watch this?

There's a guy on there, well he was on there until he got fired, not sure if he was Hawaiian or what, last name Piko. My husband thought he was Inuit at first but I'm thinking not.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Re: Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel.

it's been on tv for a long time now and is pretty interesting. hard work, high risk, short season and a potential for making a lot of money. imagine what the camera guys go through to get those shots!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Yeah we have been watching it for a long time now ourselves, we get sucked right into it whenever it's on. I often think as well about how much it must suck to be a camera man on one of those boats.

The new captain is cute but he's full of himself, IMO. He's always bugging the other captains for hot spots.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
        Anyone watch this?

There's a guy on there, well he was on there until he got fired, not sure if he was Hawaiian or what, last name Piko. My husband thought he was Inuit at first but I'm thinking not.
        I think I remember him saying that he would be leaving Alaska at the end of that season and going "back to Hawaii."

Sean Piko?

Comment

Not sure about the Piko guy, but I love the show. Amazing way to make a living.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Great Show !!

The new captain has confidence, and quite a lot of experience for his age. Last I saw, his pots were coming up full when he picked a new spot.

What is it about confidence, ability, or pride that is generally not well received in Hawaii?

Welcome to Hawaii. Overachievers not welcome.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              Great Show !!

The new captain has confidence, and quite a lot of experience for his age. Last I saw, his pots were coming up full when he picked a new spot.

What is it about confidence, ability, or pride that is generally not well received in Hawaii?

Perhaps because overachieving = not laid back, so it clashes with the island's laid back attitude? But it's true, Hawaii tends to cut down overachievers. I have no qualms about being laid back when it's rest time but don't like the laid back attitude when working.

With all the dangers involved in fishing off Alaska, I always wondered why with all the tech we have these days, no one has invented an automated system of dispersing and retrieving the pots?

Comment

Perhaps because overachieving = not laid back, so it clashes with the island's laid back attitude?

Is there an explanation for our school system somewhere in that sentence?
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                  I think I remember him saying that he would be leaving Alaska at the end of that season and going "back to Hawaii."

Sean Piko?
                  Yes! That's him.

Must edit to say mahalo. Where's my manners?

I missed the episode where he got fired. My husband said he got mouthy with the captain or something. I also must have missed when he talked about Hawai`i. Hmmm, what else have I missed? LOL. Anyway, the last name Piko had me wondering. Mahalo again.
                  Last edited by Lei K; May 6, 2007, 06:28 AM. Reason: Manners.

Comment

LOVE that show...I am addicted to it!
                    I have a couple friends who do go from Oregon to Alaska every year to crab. They come home with about 30- 50K.
                    It's super cool to talk to them and now to be able to see it, is AMAZING!
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post

What the hell does this have to do with where I am from? Why did you turn it into that? Can't someone rub me the wrong way or am I not free to have my opinion because you see him one way and I see him another. It HAS to be where I'm from influencing everything, right?

My husband is from the CONUS and he feels even stronger about this guys personality than I do. This thread is about "The Deadliest Catch" and your opinion on the SHOW, not a "Why is it people in Hawai`i......???" thread.

I encourage my own kids to work hard, to have confidence, ability, and pride. But I also teach them to be humble which is just as important. But anyway this thread isn't about ME. I shouldn't even have to explain myself to you for a simple feeling I have about someone but here it is anyway.

What bothered me was how the new guy called the other captains for their hot spots everytime he was ready to go again. He seemed needy and dependent. His pots were full from the other captain's tips. But by how he acted you'd think he thought of those spots all on his own. Then he gave away the secret hot spot when that one captain was testing him and killed the trust between them. The pranks afterwards were funny to watch though!

I'm happy the other captain's stopped giving the new captain info and he had to pick a spot on his own. Shouldn't he have known a thing or two from being on these boats for so long and having so much experience in the first place?

My favorite captain is on the Cornelia Marie, the one with his sons out there.

Comment

I don't like Blake - I didn't care for him last year either. Seeing more of him this season makes me

My favorite boats to watch are the Corneilia Marie, the Northwestern and the Rollo, but the Rollo isn't involved this season, but they update their MySpace page with stuff - Eric is so cute!

Who I'd like to meet:
                        The North American in an unlit harbor. Other female crab boats over 107 feet with a bulbous bow and a powerful thruster. Draggers and boats from the buyback program need not apply. (That means you Western Viking... stop tying up to me)

Comment

Did you see the episode where the guy was so scared he wanted to go back to the dock? They dropped him off and the captain said he would never hire off the docks again. Back to the city for you, tough guy. LOL
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I watch it off and on. Cool show.

I think I saw one last year where a newbie went overboard in the rough seas and they never found him... then it was back to business as usual.

The one I saw yesterday had a happier ending... the one where they were watching the guy on another boat securing the cages... when it came up from the trough of the swell he wasnt there anymore... they went into search and rescue mode and got the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                              My favorite captain is on the Cornelia Marie, the one with his sons out there.
                              And it looks like he got a makeover before this season's filming.

Comment

Working...
                              X