Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitchen Equipment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    Good point. And NEVER run knives through a dishwasher! One of the quickest way to ruin an edge.
    What's a dishwasher? Around here it's "WHO'S a dishwasher!"
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      And in that case, you would definitely NEVER want to "run a knife through a dishwasher"!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
        And in that case, you would definitely NEVER want to "run a knife through a dishwasher"!!!

LOL! Don't shank the Dishwaser!

I was just saying, you do not want to run knives through a dish machine because it can ruin your edge, QUICK. There are abrasives in a lot of detergents that knock down the edge on a good sharp knife, and also, the knife can get bumped around into other things, making it dull.

If you have ever seen a knife under a microscope(I'm a dork), the knifes sharp edge is really a lot of burrs. When sharp, the burrs are upright, and aligned, when dull, they are laid over and out of line. "Sharpening" with a steel actually just re-honing the edge, and standing the burrs back up and in line.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

What brand of knives do you like, Tattrat?

Comment

For the house, I have a set of Katana Series:

They are actually made by Calphalon, and have rivaled some of my Whustofs as far as balance and durability. You can get the block set for under 200 bucks, which is great for a home investment. I say investment, cause they will last years if taken care of properly. I have been VERY pleased overall and would recommend them. They are made of multi fold VG- I, Japanese steel. Awesome corrosion resistance, and awesome all around performance. Not to mention, the Damascus look is super sexy.

Kyocera Knives are the wave of things to come. They are very pricey now but the price will drop(hopefully) once they gain more popularity outside of the professional kitchen, and gourmands at home. The main advantage of ceramic knives is the blade stay. The stay sharp practically for as long as you own the knifes. The down side is, they can be brittle and can not be dropped like a stainless knife, they might shatter. I have one, and use it every now and again, and every cut is like the first, razor sharp(or sharper), but I still view it as almost a novelty, and don't want to muck it up.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Thank you!

My husband has been complaining about how lousy our knives are. Sounds like a Father's Day gift he might really like!

Comment

I agree that knives are the most important "gadget" in a kitchen. one really good chef knife is all you really need, according to most most back-of-the-house restaurant people.

For those of you who want really great quality knives but balk at paying the high prices of a wusthof or henkels, Forschners are a great option. They may be stamped versus forged like the higher priced ones, but they were made with professional working chefs in mind. my ex, who used to work at John Dominis and L'Uraku, was told by veteran in the business about them. my ex preferred to use his 12" forschner 90% of the time over the henkel set he got when he went to culinary school.

(the above link is a description and review by consumersearch.com, by the way)

you can buy them, of all places, at the aloha staduum swap meet! the vendor is the aloha melting pot co., inc. and they can be emailed at alohameltingpot@hawaii.rr.com.

i've had my forschner for six years and refuse to use anything else in the kitchen. it's easier for non-pros to work with because it's lighter and has a rubberized handle. i also enjoy using it bcs i have small hands and the henkels/wustofs are quite unwieldy. i sharpen it with a sharpening stone maybe once a month. eric, who also spent years in the food and bev biz, is a convert. we made sure that there is a forschner at his house, my house, and his mom's house because they are so dependable. it's the only knife i can use practically non-stop and comfortably for two hours chopping the ingredients for pancit or lumpia--carrots, onions, celery, cabbage, garlic and jalapenos. every other knife i've used has made me sore.

p.s. price for the 10" i bought most recently was about $30. such a steal!
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

more notes....

there is a restaurant supply store on kokea? st across the canal from Honolulu Community College and between Dillingham Blvd and King St.

there's another behind home world across from anna miller's.

i think there's one on the street that big kahuna pizza is at near salt lake.

i finally read the piece that WORN posted and i disagree that you need to cook rice twice a day to justify a rice cooker. ditto microwave. and pressure cooker. i use that baby at least twice a month. my oxtail stew, green curry, chicken papaya and risotto would not exist without the pressure cooker.

additionally, i can't believe the writer paid six bucks for a sharpening stone. mine cost me less than two bucks at the swap meet. works great--bought it the same time i bought my first forschner.

best thing in my kitchen besides my forschner is my cuisinart set of copper sandwiched pots and pans that the beau bought for me at the very bargain price of $130 from overstock.com back in 2003.

wow, my posts today are reminding me what a great find my eric is...*swoon*
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                    more notes....

there is a restaurant supply store on kokea? st across the canal from Honolulu Community College and between Dillingham Blvd and King St.
                    My girlfriend's been there a few times for replacement parts for the restaurant she used to manage. As you might imagine, they're expensive.

We're minimalists in the kitchen. Sharp JA Henckels knives, along with a large Bamboo cutting board, tossed in with a Cuisinart food processor every now and then, are the usual call of duty. Save for a Tiger rice cooker my girlfriend relies on (she's gotta' have rice), and that's it.

There's a thread similar to this here at Kitchen Tools and Gadgets.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

In 1977, I bought an end-grain maple cutting board for $37.50 + tax at the Farmers' Market in Los Angeles and brought it back in my luggage. Nearly all of the boards I see in Honolulu at places like Compleat Kitchen and Executive Chef are cross-grain boards. I once spotted the same board without the Farmers' Market logo at Liberty House for $47.50.

I still have it as I never soak the board. All it needs is cleaning after each use with a damp cloth and regular "seasoning" - a layer of salt to draw out moisture and "oiling" the board.

It's 20" x 14" x 2" and "weighs a ton." I got it as part of the divorce property settlement nearly two decades ago, while she kept the cutlery, bone china, and waterless cookware.

Comment

I was looking at the JA Henkle knives on Amazon, are they good? I LOL'd when I saw the ginsu knife set for $20... Even tho my mom left behind a Ginsu knife that I still use today... It isnt that bad!
                        Any advice on where to get a good cast iron skillet locally for cheap?
                        Last edited by Hellbent; May 12, 2007, 01:03 PM.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I liked the MAC knives which were sold by Shirokiya.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                            Any advice on where to get a good cast iron skillet locally for cheap?
                            I got mine at Hardware Hawaii in Kailua. It's a Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. (Widely available, I think.)

Take it home, season it, (per instructions on the label), use it forever and pass it down through your family.
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                            X