Places to eat in Amarillo, Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Places to eat in Amarillo, Texas

Looking foreward to an update from Helen, to see how it went.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did have a dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch on our last night there. Also had dinner at the Olive Gardern. Did try Sonic, IHOP, A&W and Popeyes plus a couple of fast breakfast trips to McDonalds.

No shortage of fast food places and mostly centered around I-40. We stayed at the Holiday Inn of I-40 and Ross Street. Behind the Holiday Inn there was a Wienerschnitzel which sold hot dogs and burgers. And across the Ross Street had McDonalds with an IHOP behind of it. A fast food deli chain, A&W with Long John Silvers, a Popeye, a local conveince store and a Burger King down a way but still in walking distance.

Comment

WOW! how did you like the Steak house?
        I never had been to Sonic before our drive....I love their drinks. Coconut Dr. Pepper. My hubby is addicted now!
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I haven't been to Amarillo in many years, but there is one place that is all over Texas, hopefully still and that is Luby's cafeteria. All made from scratch, fantastic cooking like grandma used to make. Their Jalapeno cornbread and their own carrot salad with their own homemade dressing is fantastic, but then all of their food is. I even have a Luby's cookbook, it's that good, and cafeteria style, very affordable. I'd google and see if Amarillo has one but am about to run out the door.

Glad you'll be treated to real Texas Bar-be-que, and if it's real they cooked it like 12hrs. or all night, something like that and the brisket, once sliced if you have any...will have a colored ring around the perimeter of each piece. None of it will be dripping in sauce nor will any sauce even be noticeable.

dang, gotta fly...enjoy Texas, the land of the truly free and common sense folks...in other words, should a person be targeted for a crime there, most likely you'll be FREE to defend yourself in whatever way you feel led to. Okay! I'm homesick, better fly.....
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
            WOW! how did you like the Steak house?
            It was good. I had the 16 oz prime rib. The left attached photo is the outside of the Big Texan Steak Ranch. With the sign of the cowboy you can't miss seeing this place. The right photo is a display of the 72 ounce steak and the stuff you have to eat with it.

I never had been to Sonic before our drive....I love their drinks. Coconut Dr. Pepper. My hubby is addicted now!
            What was strange with Sonic is that each parking stall had a box to contact the food prep place to place your order. I don't know if that was just that location or all of them.
            Attached Files

Comment

No every Sonic has drive up boxes or you can sit outside at tables, but no one inside. The waiters bring it out to you after you order through the box and pay. It is standard. They also have a drive through.

Kind of like an old 50's Hop!

But it's kind of gross in some places because of the flies.
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Just finished watching an episode of Man v. Food on the Travel Channel where they went to Amarillo. Beside going to Big Texan Steak House to do the 72 ounce steak challenge, they went to a couple of other places, one place did a country fried steak and another place (called the Coyote Bluff) that had the "Burger from Hell".

Comment

I totally didn't even realize there weren't any Sonics here and I've been living here for two months. Where we lived in Little Elm (North Dallas suburb), there were four Sonics within a ten mile radius, so I got really burned out and didn't even think to see if Hawaii had any. How funny!

But...hmm. Going back next month to get our dogs. Now I'm going to have to stop and grab a Route 44 Diet Cherry Limeaid.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Mainly because places like Sonic and Jack-in-the-Box are not national chains but rather are regional chains, so you can't find a Sonic in Hawaii or a Jack-in-the-Box in Texas.

Comment

My friends who've moved here from the South and from the Southwest (and I have a lot for some reason) lament the absence of Sonic more than anything else about moving here. I think it's kinda funny, but I definitely understand.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        Mainly because places like Sonic and Jack-in-the-Box are not national chains but rather are regional chains, so you can't find a Sonic in Hawaii or a Jack-in-the-Box in Texas.
                        Actually, there are Jack-in-the Boxes in Texas. Especially in Dallas...all over. I lived in Dallas (up until 3 yrs. ago), the 3rd time in 20+ years and they're there.

Comment

Working...
                        X