Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camcorders

HD or 3 CCD?

That was my decision recently in deciding what to purchase. With technology changing every minute you own something for one month and it is out dated the next! Argh!

Those new hardrive cams are still to new to get into and I found out they automatically bring down the resolution by compression. So you actually get fewer generations after editing.

High definition is still to new, my editing program needs to be updated to deal with this new feature so that is out for now.

I eventually settled for a consumer Panasonic 3CCD mini dv model. When this thing came in by fed ex it was so tiny! The tripod I bought for it is gigantic compared to the camcorder!

So I have decided to make this a family camera letting my kids use it.

So here I am shopping for advice on a pro model mini DV 3 CCD. Anyone out there familiar with this model http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...order_Kit.html
    I am highly considering it for it's reasonable price tag!

Re: Camcorders

I try to stay away from cameras that store it's images on media with moving parts, like floppy disk, CD or DVD burners and of course hard drives.

I also tend to buy cheap cameras too. I remember buying for around $100 in 2004 a Apitek DV3100 and then later on a DV4100. Those cameras used Compacflash cards that hold up to 512 Mbytes that used to cost $99.

Two weeks ago I picked up an Aiptek iCam for $100. This one uses SD cards but now a SD card can go low as $10 for a 512Mbyte card even through this camera can handle up to 2 Gbytes.

I haven't tried using the iCam as a video camera yet but I will do this week.

Why I go cheap? Things happen to me. Within the first week the iCam slipped from my hand and it dropped about 4 feet. It still functions.
    Last edited by helen; May 16, 2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I use the Panasonic PV-GS150 for work. It's a great, consumer grade, 3 CCD camera and I feel no need to upgrade to a prosumer model. Of course, it all depends on what you'll do with the final output! If you're making an independent movie then you'll probably want a pro model.

My daughter's friend bought a Sony hard drive camera for a trip to Africa. The intent was to download the footage to iMovie, burn a DVD and send it to me. The HD camera was not compatible with the Macbook Pro. So, my daughter will physically tote her friend's camera to Hawaii next week so that I can finally view the trip! I edit my casting tapes in iMovie so I learned a hard drive camera isn't for me. I'll stay with the 3CCD.

I know nothing about the camera in the link you provided. However, I always hear good things about Panasonics from the filmmaking community.

Comment

When it comes to dropping cameras I always observe one rule: Always have your hand through the strap. Small cameras are especially likely to get dropped. They're often about the size of a bar of soap and seem to become just as slippery at the worst possible moments.

As for video cameras, I started using an HVX-200. It's not something you'd want to get for vacation videos and such because it's bulky. But if you're doing professional work it's worth the hassle of carrying and certainly worth the price if you're going to do anything in HD.

My brother-in-law got a small Sony HD camera that has an internal hard drive and the images looked great, as long as they didn't get re-compressed. It's possible to edit the video without significant loss of quality with a good non-linear system.

And Panasonic makes some nice compact 3 CCD cameras. If you're picky about image quality, then going with a 3 CCD system is a good idea.

Comment

Thanks for the reply folks!

I just started using my new Panasonic PVGS 320 3 CCD today and love it for it's ease of use , simplicity, and compact size. The images quality is outstanding!

I got an extra wide angle and telephoto converter lens as an extra along with an extra litium 4 hour battery.

I am still planning to purchase the Panasonic AG-DVC20 pro model next month to do independant TV and short movies and also film my daughter and wife's hula competitions. This camera is entry level for a pro model but can't beat the price for a 3 CCD camcorder.

I have looked at the entry level JVC & Sony HD pro models and although they were priced within my budget, they were only single CCD and reports were they lacked the color intensity from a 3 CCD.

As for editing programs, I still havent gotten the hang of Adobe & Final Cut Pro. I have been using Pinnacles Studio version for years.

Now that I will be making the jump to Pro video, I may stick with Pinnacle and just up grade to their new studio 11 with HD capeabilities.

Do you guys know of any other editing program that is semi pro and is fairly user friendly like the Pinnacle's studio?

Thanks and good discussion!
          Layne

Comment

I love my Bentley super 8.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
              I love my Bentley super 8.
              Hey Tattrat

My family had that same super 8 when I was growing up! I think ours didnt have audio but was still color. I have since transfered all of the super 8 footage to digital and have these on DVD.

I clearly remember my mom using this blinding bright light that went with it for night and indoor shots. Now this camera light was as bright as the sun! In many of the shots of an old 60's family luau, you can see my aunts and the cousins holding their arm up protecting their eyes, too funny!

Comment

I hear ya, Hilo.

You are looking at a serious rig to purchase. I got my Bentley back in the day, as a gift(one of few) from my father. I fell in love with it back then. And yes, it was video only, I had all the sound equipment, and even made a few films a la kid. Man what a blast! And what is funny, when I watch shows like Globe Trekker, they use the same cam for certain shots, that is awesome to me. I used to think it was "state of the art" back then and know it is not now, but still cool for nostalgic applications.

Good luck with your next investment! Must be a lot of fun!
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
                  [...]I am still planning to purchase the Panasonic AG-DVC20 pro model next month to do independant TV and short movies and also film my daughter and wife's hula competitions. This camera is entry level for a pro model but can't beat the price for a 3 CCD camcorder.[...]
                  Amazing how the prices have come down over the years. My first miniDV camcorder, purchased in 1998 iirc, was a Sony TRV9, a great consumer grade, one CCD camera. It was the same price as the pro model 3 CCD Panasonic you're looking at now! And, yes...the 3 CCD feature is sooooo worth it! I'll never go backwards!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Amazing how the prices have come down over the years. My first miniDV camcorder, purchased in 1998 iirc, was a Sony TRV9, a great consumer grade, one CCD camera. It was the same price as the pro model 3 CCD Panasonic you're looking at now! And, yes...the 3 CCD feature is sooooo worth it! I'll never go backwards!
                    Tutusue

I agree with you on the prices from the late 90's. I also bought my first mini dv back then too! Very high price tag compared to todays prices.

Heres a fun Star Wars type video I would like to share. I made it about 4 years ago and featured my two daughters . I used a special effects program that was developed in England. The cam I used was a single ccd panasonic one of the first mini DV's to come out for consumers. Pretty crude but my first fun feature all shot here in Hilo. Enjoy!
                    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20by6_title01

heres another video my students made back when I was a teacher at hilo Intermediate. This was made with an old VHS system and analog editing! LOL! Analog seems so distant and old fashioned! I appear in this video and was a big boy back then
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQOWXVpqJoo

Now I got a son, I need to feature him too!
                    Last edited by Hilo Artist; May 17, 2007, 08:01 PM.

Comment

The HD camera was not compatible with the Macbook Pro.
                      Oh yeah...blame the camcorder. Maybe just maybe the Macbook Pro was the incompatible half.

"tutusue throws a PC's for Dummy's book at craigwatanabe"
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Oh yeah...blame the camcorder. Maybe just maybe the Macbook Pro was the incompatible half.

"tutusue throws a PC's for Dummy's book at craigwatanabe"
                        PC? Whassat?

Speaking of camcorders...
                        I was a Sony fan 'til they moved the tape loader (or whatever it's called!) to the bottom of the camcorder. I use a tripod and the only way for me to change a tape in the middle of a casting session would be to take a time out, remove the camera from the tripod, remove the mounting plate, change the tape, reattach the mounting plate then reattach the camera to the tripod. Not an overly long or complicated ordeal under normal circumstances. However, my job does not fall under "normal circumstances"! Then Sony went to hard drive cameras which caused me more grief with Mac editing. As much as I love Video Life and their customer service, I finally had to give up on Sony...which is why I switched to Panasonic. I was really sold once I saw my first casting session with a 3 CCD camera. Wow!

(OT...btw, Craig, I really, really missed you at Home Depot Iwilei today!!! I finally had to call their phone # to ask for assistance while standing in the lumber dept.! Yea for cell phones!)

Comment

Hmmm...double post!

Comment

OT...btw, Craig, I really, really missed you at Home Depot Iwilei today!!! I finally had to call their phone # to ask for assistance while standing in the lumber dept.! Yea for cell phones!)
                            The lumber department extension is 321. For hardware it's 325. All Home Depot uses the same extensions for their departments. If you need to go up to a cashier and they will page or call the department for assistance. There should always be an associate holding the cordless phone whether it's their department or another. I've had to babysit three phones several times and it sucks when two of them ring at the same time.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                            X