Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving to Oahu, lots of questions

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Nah, Auntie. Jus' tryin' to provide some accurate info!
    You're the "Sane/Polite" one das why.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      You're the "Sane/Polite" one das why.
      There's only ONE Auntie Pupule on HT. There's only ONE Auntie Pupule...period!

Comment

There's only ONE Auntie Pupule on HT. There's only ONE Auntie Pupule...period!
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I going moemoe. Tomorrow is another day!

I Love you TutuSue! Oh! I got your email and I will be ready on Oct. 6th!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie PuPULE

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          [...]I Love you TutuSue! Oh! I got your email and I will be ready on Oct. 6th![...]
          Try wait...
          Those 2 sentences...one after another...no explanation...people might talk...I mean...ummm...errr...you see...Auntie is taking my family on one of her (in)famous Chinatown tours! Really!!

And, yes...tomorrow is another day. Couldn'ta said it any better myself!

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
            When I lived there, they tried it in Kane'ohe and
            I was also looking for windshield fluid and got a strange look. You get stuff you mix with water in a little bottle since it never freezes over there. It's a real culture shock that you don't realise until you've actually LIVED there for awhile and not vacationed.

So where did you finally find a place to live?
            I hate that concentrate stuff.

It is a bit of culture shock around here, but mostly because of the unfamiliarity with how people act around here. When you are "local" like I was in East Van, I was totally oblivious to what many from outside of East Van considered sketchy. Here on O'ahu we soak in everything, not sure how to react when people wave shaka at us ("Who, me? The guy behind me? Do I know you? Oh ... hey, how are you?"), etc ... But we are settling in nice, and getting fairly comfortable after just a week here. What does drive me a bit batty is the speed of doing business here. When I went to buy a car, we had to go to a notary to sign over the bill of sale or something, they told us to sit down and they'd call us. Half hour later we asked when the notary would arrive, and they had totally forgotten about us. I have many stories like that. And from what I hear from people, I better get used to that.

Oh, LovinK, we settled in Waipio Gentry, about a 5 min drive to work down the hill. We love it cuz it's so central to everything that we like, a 5 min stroll to Foodland, close to Costco. So far, so perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
              ....What does drive me a bit batty is the speed of doing business here... I have many stories like that. And from what I hear from people, I better get used to that....
              LOL ! Dat's called "Operating on Hawaiian Time"! You gotta get used to it, period. Off-worlders, no matter where they're from, Japan, da Mainland, where ever, are constantly irritated by this Island characteristic. Many deny it exists, and will accuse those who mention it of racism and worse. No way, brah... it's real, and it's one of the reasons we love da Islands so much. You'll see. You just wait. It will either drive you lolo and lead to a terminal case of Island Fever, or you'll join da crowd. I hope it's the latter.

Aloha!!

Bumpy

Comment

I do have a question for the HT community. Where does one recycle things around here? We are very recycling oriented, and Vancouver is very friendly to those who like to recycle. I asked some people around here, and they looked at me like I was a freak when I asked where we can recycle things. We couldn't even return pop cans to Foodland. It seems like such a waste to throw recyclable material into a landfill on such a small island. Any other recyclers around here?
                Oh, LovinK, we settled in Waipio Gentry, about a 5 min drive to work down the hill. We love it cuz it's so central to everything that we like, a 5 min stroll to Foodland, close to Costco. So far, so perfect.
                Welcome, GT, if you're that close to Kanoelani Elementary then you can drop your recyclables in the trailer in their parking lot. The schools sell it to HPOWER for either burning to generate electricity or for repackaging to resell to other recyclers.

You can give your HI-5 cans to the school office (which they'll recycle and keep the money) or you could drive "all the way" up to the Reynolds Recycling trailer in the Mililani Town Center parking lot, on the Lanikuhana side near Long John Silver's.

Green waste recycling is slowly proliferating. Right now you put it in your trash for burning at HPOWER but one day it'll be picked up & mulched. (http://envhonolulu.org/solid_waste/Greencycling.htm) I don't know when green waste pickup will start in Waipio but for now you could sneak up to Mililani early in the morning on the 2nd & 4th Weds of each month. (Just kidding.) Otherwise I think bulk loads of green waste are still charged a dumping fee. Of course if you want mulch you can pick it up for free across Kam Hwy from Wheeler Army Air Field.

Now that you're a member of the club, so to speak, you can sign up for a different kind of tour-- the Tour de Trash. (http://envhonolulu.org/solid_waste/Tour_de_Trash.htm) I highly recommend the Recycling & Waste Processing tour first, followed by the Construction & Demolition tour (it actually visits Grace Pacific's quarry near Makakilo). I've been trying to persuade my family to join me on the wastewater treatment tour but they're not very enthusiastic about it.

If you're still looking for more info then we can get into composting & vermiposting.
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I hate that concentrate stuff.

It is a bit of culture shock around here, but mostly because of the unfamiliarity with how people act around here. When you are "local" like I was in East Van, I was totally oblivious to what many from outside of East Van considered sketchy. Here on O'ahu we soak in everything, not sure how to react when people wave shaka at us ("Who, me? The guy behind me? Do I know you? Oh ... hey, how are you?"), etc ... But we are settling in nice, and getting fairly comfortable after just a week here. What does drive me a bit batty is the speed of doing business here. When I went to buy a car, we had to go to a notary to sign over the bill of sale or something, they told us to sit down and they'd call us. Half hour later we asked when the notary would arrive, and they had totally forgotten about us. I have many stories like that. And from what I hear from people, I better get used to that.

If you don't get into the "rhythm" of life here you will never make it. Because that's what makes Hawaii Hawaii. Sit back, breath in the Mana and relax, it will all get done in its own time. When I first moved here I caught myself being impatient and realized that if I didn’t slow down I would be swimming against the tide. Bring a book talk to the people around you while you’re waiting~ live and learn about this new culture it has so much to offer. The people are amazing (for the most part) and the land has such power if you slow done and take it all in. BTW If you think Oahu is slow try Kaua’i.
                  "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                    The people are amazing (for the most part) and the land has such power if you slow done and take it all in. BTW If you think [/COLOR]Oahu[/SIZE] is slow try Kaua’i. [/FONT]
                    Kauai SLOW? Why do I wanna LAUGH HYSTERICALLY?

oH...SuperFerry!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

LOL Looks like it may be sailing away with it's tail between it's legs ~ thank you Maui.
                      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                        LOL Looks like it may be sailing away with it's tail between it's legs ~ thank you Maui.
                        So let me see if I've got this right. You moved from the mainland to Kauai three months ago, right? And already you feel you have the right to deny acccess to Kauai to other people?
                        Do you understand what's incredibly wrong anout that?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/honolulu-advertiser/T9G8JJQB5FLK87CGU

According to this poll I'm not the only one so do 40% of other people living in the state, I wonder how many of them are "new comers".

Comment

Yes...I've bought windshield wiper fluid that's not a concentrate.
                            As of this afternoon, available for $1.08 per gallon at Walmart.

Life is good.

Comment

Working...
                            X