Coastal Windows Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastal Windows Disappointment

Coastal Windows makes this great jalousie hardware replacement, made of extruded aluminum C-section and vinyl louver clips and vinyl working gears that are enclosed in the aluminum. Very neat, excellent product, if a little pricey. They sell the kits at Home Depot and Hardware Hawaii.

But, auwe, they only make two sizes, both odd. When I called CW to see if they made — or can make — other lengths, I was unable to make the salesman understand what I was talking about, so I paid a visit to their office showroom. At first, their salesman denied they even make the things. He checked with someone, and discovered that they do make them, but they are only available if you buy an entire new window that is preassembled. But I don't need an entire new window, I cried, I just want to swap out my jalousie hardware with your excellent product!

No soap. Even though they could easily take the already manufactured components and pop out any length you'd need, they refuse to do so. It strikes me as odd that they'd deliberately turn away a potential home-rehab market, but there you go.

And so … I'm looking for an alternate product. Any suggestions? I could go with the old-fashioned nasty aluminum jalousie hardware, just replace the old corroded stuff, but it's hard to believe there isn't something better out there. Anybody been there?
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Coastal Windows Disappointment

Maybe I'm having another senior moment, but didn't they run a TV commercial stating that they can do "custom" sizes?

Have you checked Lowes? I think they had something similar, but then again I may be having that senior moment or it's just too darn early.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
      Maybe I'm having another senior moment, but didn't they run a TV commercial stating that they can do "custom" sizes?
      That's for entire windows.

Lowe's carries only the stock aluminum stuff.

If I can find the right size C-channel, maybe I can mill it in the proper size and then disassemble the CW parts and put it back together the right length.

Today I'll make the rounds of window shops -- they all seem to be within a few blocks of each other -- and see what else is out there.
      Burl Burlingame
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Have you tried Custom Contractors, Inc. (CCI) in the Halawa Industrial Park? They may be able to custom-size for you.

They replaced my jalousies (30" width) with awning windows (32" standard width) by sizing them to the opening. They did a nice job.

Comment

Burl...please update this thread if you find a good solution. I'll be in the market to replace jalousey window hardware in the not too distant future and haven't gotten around to checking out alternatives to the standard aluminum junk.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Burl...please update this thread if you find a good solution. I'll be in the market to replace jalousey window hardware in the not too distant future and haven't gotten around to checking out alternatives to the standard aluminum junk.
            I'm looking forward to his answer too, but in the meantime... stay away from aluminum and go for the new vinyl ones, Tutu. I know several people who got them and love them. Even some fancy windows that open vertically or horizontally.
            Coastal Windows gets mixed reviews. Sometimes great, sometimes dreadful.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

From the Coastal Window website:

"All Coastal windows and doors are custom manufactured to your specifications. Choose the size, style and options to complement your island home."

You might want to talk to various contractors to find out what they like to install. Sometimes they discover products that don't do so well and cause them headaches.

Depending on the construction of your home it's also possible to recut the rough opening to accommodate a different window design. I've even cut through a stud wall and reinforced the opening to install an air conditioner.

With a little willingness to make a bit of a mess, it's possible to do all sorts of things. Helps to have good tools, too.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                Have you tried Custom Contractors, Inc. (CCI) in the Halawa Industrial Park? They may be able to custom-size for you.

They replaced my jalousies (30" width) with awning windows (32" standard width) by sizing them to the opening. They did a nice job.
                I too went with CCI to replace my louvers with awning-type windows. I got two prices: one for installed units and one materials only. I let them install the ones I thought would be somewhat difficult and also to get an idea how to do it ... and I installed a few simpler ones... they were actually very helpful with my first attempts to make sure I did it right.

Re: Coastal... seems like a nice product but a bit pricey for me. The good part is that they make it here, so the turnaround is quicker... but again, you pay for that luxury.

Comment

I've used Pella to replace jalouseys with awning windows and also replace a typical sliding door with one much more beautiful. All the products have the blinds between the glass. Love the look of the product. Customer service, otoh, has been a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I'm looking forward to his answer too, but in the meantime... stay away from aluminum and go for the new vinyl ones, Tutu.[...]
                    Thanks, LN. I didn't know about the vinyl kind. Can they be found at the home improvement stores or does one need to purchase them thru a window type store?

Comment

I bought ten awning windows from CCI. Eight were the 74" high floor-to-ceiling five-pane size, two were 50" three-pane design. Three of the tall ones had the top pane omitted to accomodate AC units - CCI installed them for me. Another three have hinges so that they swing out like a door as an escape route in case of fire, a building code requirement. One each (AC and fire door) were installed in each downstairs bedroom.

The components and installation were top-notch. I had previously purchased thirteen awning windows from Mid-Pac Lumber when I did a re-modeling back in 1993. Three were incorrectly sized, but rather than return them and suffer more delays, I had my carpenters re-frame the window openings. The CCI units are of better quality in a number of ways, including the locking mechanism.

Mid-Pac had gone out of business by the time I replaced the jalousie windows in the original structure. Awnings were the choice for continuity.

There is another window called BREEZEWAY. This is a jalousie type, but the glass panes are twice as wide and more securely-inserted into the hardware clips, making them less-prone to removal by would-be burglars. They also utilize a cranking mechanism to open and close the windows.
                      Last edited by oceanpacific; May 26, 2007, 07:51 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

I wound up buying a couple of the Coastal Windows pre-fabs -- they ones they denied making! -- and am cutting them down by three louver widths. All it takes is a hacksaw and a cutoff wheel. But I hate the waste!

Screens and Things has a suitable replacement, but you have to special order it. I'll likely go back there for the glass. Good variety. Nice people.

Breezway PalmAir replacements are available at Hardware Hawaii. Very pricey -- it's an Australian product -- but they have all the sizes you need. But they only come in white. I picked up a small pair of units for a different job. If you're just swapping out the standard aluminum works for something nicer, cleaner, more secure and longer-lasting, this is a real option. Remember to ask for the white-faced screws at the counter.

Recycling the glass might be a problem, as you often have to trim .25" off the edge, and that ain't easy with glass. On a previous job, I snapped what I could and nibbled the remander with tile pliers. Pretty rough, but it was hidden by the enclosing vinyl clips.

One shop, Jalousie Hawaii, is only open 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. --- so I have no idea what they stock. Likely mainly for contractors, not us weekend carpenters.

I'll try out the Breezways on Monday.

CCI does make a fab product, but it isn't suitable for what I'm doing now.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

If you order glass from Screens & Things, make sure you measure it yourself when you pick it up to make sure it's actually been cut to the specified length.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                          X