X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New IHOP in Hilo

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
    IHOP is so over rated...

went to the Windward location last weekend..

i think Old Pancake house is way better!
    We gave WM IHOP a try on Sunday and was so not impressed. Wife had the chicken florentine crepes, Mel had the pupu sampler and I had the country fried steak and eggs.

Well, first off, we had to wait for our waitress to bring water and coffee...10 minutes. Finally got someone to bring drinks and take our order, then our regular waitress shows up. Food took forever and Mel got her order first...lukewarm and greasy. She finished half of it before our meals came. She's not a fast eater.

Wife said her florentine was only okay. Not exceptional by any stretch.

My country fried steak turned out to be those frozen jobbies. "Steak" was about 1/2" thick, but the meat was only 1/16" to 1/8" thick at best. Mostly batter and plenty of salty white gravy. Pancakes were so "fluffy", they desintegrated with butter and syrup.

Personally, if a restaurant offers country/chicken fried steak, it should be freshly made, not frozen. I use this as an indicator of what the rest of their menu is going to be like and it hasn't failed me yet. Places that serve frozen CFS are mediocre at best and very few of their entrees are worth talking about. I've found very, very few exceptions to the rule.

Our bill came out to almost $60 (tip incl.) for 3 of us. I can see spending $100 for a family of 5 is not out of the question. I agree they're totally overrated. Any of the older, established pancake houses around town is better than IHOP, exept for Denny's, and less expensive.

Well, our day wasn't totally wasted. Shrek III was pretty good.

Comment

You don't need to read this twice.

Comment

I'll avoid IHOP when I'm in Hilo three weekends from now. But, I will stop in at KEN'S PANCAKE as I continue my nostalgic gastronomical adventures.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          I'll avoid IHOP when I'm in Hilo three weekends from now. But, I will stop in at KEN'S PANCAKE as I continue my nostalgic gastronomical adventures.
          With that in mind, on my next hop to Maui, I wanna' check out Tasty Crust in Wailuku, a local favorite known for great pancakes and other ono grinds at good prices. Heard about the place from Sam Choy.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm going to Maui later this year, so I'll remember TASTY CRUST. That pancake covering almost the entire plate looks so "ono-licious." Good home-style cooking?

Comment

Just returned from Hilo (to CA). We go to IHOP because it's convenient & my kid likes it. Prices here are average. I'd never shell out that kinda cach for pancakes.

When in Hilo, I ate @ Kens' (as so many of you suggested) & was really happy w/ the local grinds - had the Pocho-loco. So when I'm in Hilo again, it's Ken's over IHOP.

Comment

Had breakfast at Tasty Crust this morning, had corned beef hash and eggs and 1pc, pancake. Always like the homestyle pancakes. Also took home cornbread for dinner, goes great with portuguese soup. My wife had shrimp omelette and daughter had port. omelette and 1pc. banana pancake.
                By the way Hilo artist what day did you stop in Ruby`s. I am the K.M. at Ruby`s with the black hat......However this is my last week after opening this restaurant over 5 years ago. I will go on to open another restaurant opening in July in the Queen Kaahumanu Center....
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

The prices at IHOP is high and the menu limited but then again it's a pancake hosue right?

I went there two Friday's ago and the place was empty for breakfast. I think it won't last long as in Hilo gossip goes around fast and the word out on the street is in fact the prices are too high.

Ken's on the other hand continues to pack em in. I won't eat their won ton min though. Every time I did (including my wife) we got sick. It's as if they don't cook the raw won ton enough as the ground pork is still very pink when served. At Ken's I love the #17 Kalbi Rib plate.

As for IHOP, I've eaten the Bacon and Egg burger and that is outstanding however a bit expensive.

I do hope however that IHOP will lower their prices as we do need another late night eats out here in Hilo. Denny's would have been a good alternative for the former Dotty's location (where IHOP is now) with a great breakfast menu and a better overall lunch and dinner selection than IHOP.

I also hope it works out as my second oldest boy works as a cook there.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    The prices at IHOP is high and the menu limited but then again it's a pancake hosue right?

I went there two Friday's ago and the place was empty for breakfast. I think it won't last long as in Hilo gossip goes around fast and the word out on the street is in fact the prices are too high.

Ken's on the other hand continues to pack em in. I won't eat their won ton min though. Every time I did (including my wife) we got sick. It's as if they don't cook the raw won ton enough as the ground pork is still very pink when served. At Ken's I love the #17 Kalbi Rib plate.

As for IHOP, I've eaten the Bacon and Egg burger and that is outstanding however a bit expensive.

I do hope however that IHOP will lower their prices as we do need another late night eats out here in Hilo. Denny's would have been a good alternative for the former Dotty's location (where IHOP is now) with a great breakfast menu and a better overall lunch and dinner selection than IHOP.

I also hope it works out as my second oldest boy works as a cook there.
                    Howzit Craig

I agree with you that we need another place here in Hilo like Ken's in Ihop. I also hope they eventually lower their prices where it's at least in competitive range with Ken's.

My wife is still looking to try a type pf pancake she saw on the food network called a Dutch Baby. Any one out there know of any place in Hawaii that makes it?

Why oh why! did firehouse decide to close it's doors!

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                      Had breakfast at Tasty Crust this morning, had corned beef hash and eggs and 1pc, pancake. Always like the homestyle pancakes. Also took home cornbread for dinner, goes great with portuguese soup. My wife had shrimp omelette and daughter had port. omelette and 1pc. banana pancake.
                      By the way Hilo artist what day did you stop in Ruby`s. I am the K.M. at Ruby`s with the black hat......However this is my last week after opening this restaurant over 5 years ago. I will go on to open another restaurant opening in July in the Queen Kaahumanu Center....
                      I was at Ruby's on Saturday the 20th at 10:00am. The cashier girl was this nice local Oriental Caucasian hapa girl real friendly. Our waitress was a caucasian girl looks like just out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                        Windward City Shopping Center (?) Got a take out place round back called JR's...RJ's...something like that. Steak, eggs and rice for 5 bucks.
                        That's KJ's, and it's been discussed here a few times (look for the fried chicken thread). That five bucks gets you a pretty hefty steak and three eggs. Good deal.

I've eaten at the Waikiki IHOP and really liked it. I thought the prices, whatever they were, were worth it.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                        X