X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the Exception?

Aloha!

I was wanting to know if you think I am the exception to the "kama'aina not liking haole" theory. When I went to Maui this past February, a lot of the locals seemed to be very impressed that I could speak some Hawaiian and sing Hawaiian songs. Everybody wants me to come back. And, they all call me Alika... yay! Love that! I tell everybody from Hawai'i to call me Alika, even though my real name is Alex, because Alika is my Hawaiian name. I also love the fact that my Hawaiian name is also a song.
    (sings) Aia i Alika...
    Haha!
    BTW, I'm trying to get better at singing it when time allows. There's no way I am able to hold the long high note like Auntie Genoa or Raiatea do right now, but I'm continuing to work at it. Maybe it'll come with more practice though. What do you guys think?
    'Alika

Re: Question for all of you

Yes. You are THE exception. Congratulations.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Language defines culture so if you learn the language people will embrace you much more quickly than one that does not take the time to learn. Good for you Alika!!!
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Definitely the exception. Well done!
        A proud sponsor of
        http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

There are others, but there can't ever be enough. Well done!
          A proud sponsor of
          http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Re: Am I the Exception?

Wait, what?
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              Wait, what?
              First of all, mahalo for all your comments. Secondly, what are you confused about, Mike? You wrote, "Wait, what?" So what would you like to know?
              'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
                First of all, mahalo for all your comments. Secondly, what are you confused about, Mike? You wrote, "Wait, what?" So what would you like to know?
                I just can't believe the first couple sentences of what you said, but carry on.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

E kala mai, but I'm still a little confused. What sentences were those, and is this a good thing or a bad thing?
                  'Alika

Comment

Working...
                  X