Offensive Letter To The Editor About Puna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Offensive Letter To The Editor About Puna

And it is those people who do have a legitimate reason to complain.

As for Railroad Avenue, that would have been a great idea for expansion however the obstical wasn't from the County...it was from those living along that corridor that opposed to it's expansion.

Craig, you are talking about the Politics of NO. You see, protest and activism is a very popular notion these days. It is good to be AGAINST anything. The people who are AGAINST anything are seldom identified as villains.

But the balls truth is that all the folks with an ax to grind, including bones, environment, NIMBY, traffic, tall buidings, et al......these are all the folks who are the VILLAINS on Big Island. By and large, they are not purposefully malicious, just miseducated and stubbornly ignorant or closeminded. Is there a word (besides stupid) that means 'terrified of the future'?

Alas, an entire generation of Americans was trained during Vietnam to say NO, and perfected their NO message using environmentalism. As these people get older, and become in charge of stuff, they honestly think that the best answer to everything is NO. All of these folks are wrong, wrong, wrong. And they don't know it.

So traffic will get worse. Dwellings will cost more. Our children will move to Las Vegas. And this is what we all want. Too bad. So sad. Get over it.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      Is there a word (besides stupid) that means 'terrified of the future'?
      I believe the proper term is "conservative".
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I was looking for a word along the lines of xenophobia, which means the fear of outsiders.

I'm laughing hard at the notion that conservative implies being terrified of the future. Reality is that the Politics of NO is mostly populated by liberals. But there is no sense in thinking about it logically, right Sin?
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          I was looking for a word along the lines of xenophobia, which means the fear of outsiders.

I'm laughing hard at the notion that conservative implies being terrified of the future. Reality is that the Politics of NO is mostly populated by liberals. But there is no sense in thinking about it logically, right Sin?
          con·serv·a·tive -

* Disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

* Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

* Resistant to change

* A person who is reluctant to accept changes and new ideas.

* Tending to conserve; preservative.

You're right though Tim, no point. Especially when your opinions are identical in your mind with "truth" and anyone who doesn't see things your way are by definition "ignorant". No doubt by "logical" you mean the mental process of proceeding to conclusions identical to your own.

Even when I agree with you I find you most disagreeble.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            What is it that you see so clearly? How are these roads more unique/less critical than the bz-dev roadways that have helped blow up KK town? The County/State portion is identical for each; the burden was econcomically supported by fed$ or private industry, not Uncle Harry's/Aunty Linda's coffers.
            I've driven around Hilo. There has been only very few instances where the traffic has been bad. The traffic flows much better in Hilo because they have a better network of roads. Compare that to the rest of the island, except the Keaau Bypass no new roads have been built since 1987 (I believe) with the Queen Kaahumanu Extension. Since then traffic in Puna, Kohala and Kona has exponentially gotten worse.

Food for thought, if you think Kamaka'eha, Makala Blvd and Henry Street is on par with Hilo's network of roads, I find that laughable.

Try driving in Hilo and then try driving in Kamuela or Kona or Puna, you'll notice difference.In short no one can deny, Puna, and the rest of the island have been shafted. I've seen it, I've lived through it.

I'm not including the Saddle Road re-alignment/re-construction because that is a special situation. As its being funded largely by the US Army.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

full disclaimer: my work takes me to both sides of the Big Isle (and not the Gold Coast, but through KK and into S Kona), and I am stuck in that traffic more than you realize, therefore at least as qualified as you to know that of which I bitch. I still posit that Hilo has been the way it is for over 100+ years, because maps don't lie. It grew in a circular fashion and its boundaries are halted geographically, except for the growth remaining to be built in Waiakea Uka and Kaumana. This is par for the course of any bay city.

Kona has not; your side of the island is pure makai sprawl, because your shoreline inspires greed, whereas Hilo has, like, no shoreline. Even those articles you linked speaks to Kona's population adding to the inertia against furthering the development on that side, whereas half of Hilo's residents were simply begging for relief in the morning to get down from the mountain for work and school.

Let's be clear, Aaron: I am not arguing that Kona needs solutions to its road problems, but I do disagree with the fist-thumping of "Hilo is spoiled" when the truth is there is/was no political/financial architect or group of such in either the 20th or 21 century that you can credit/blame for any brilliant urban planning for Hilo's sake. Hilo doesn't have a leg up on quality of life over Kona.

As for that Kea'au bypass? Its in Puna, and I ride that, too.

pax

Comment

Old data but FWIW:

http://www.hawaii-county.com/planning/konaroads.htm

http://www.hawaii-county.com/info/bp/sc.htm

Comment

Well nothing is going to change my mind that Hilo has shafted the rest of the island infrastructure over the years. Hilo is like a black hole, money
                  comes in very little money goes out.

Worse yet due to incompetent planning, putting developers needs over the citizens of this island, has resulted in the mess we are in today.

It all ads up to a lot of frustration. You don't want to know how much my blood boils whenever I drive around Hilo and seeing all the great infrastructure. Yes I've read the apologists excuses for it. But it doesn't help with the current situation.

Even more frustrating, whenever selfish letters at this certain persons letter get published, add credence Hilo folks don't want to share with the rest of the island.

Topping this is trying to get the County to address the infrastructure issues in West Hawaii, is like pulling teeth.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    Well nothing is going to change my mind that Hilo has shafted the rest of the island infrastructure over the years. Hilo is like a black hole, money
                    comes in very little money goes out.

Worse yet due to incompetent planning, putting developers needs over the citizens of this island, has resulted in the mess we are in today.

It all ads up to a lot of frustration. You don't want to know how much my blood boils whenever I drive around Hilo and seeing all the great infrastructure. Yes I've read the apologists excuses for it. But it doesn't help with the current situation.

Even more frustrating, whenever selfish letters at this certain persons letter get published, add credence Hilo folks don't want to share with the rest of the island.

Topping this is trying to get the County to address the infrastructure issues in West Hawaii, is like pulling teeth.
                    Wouldn't the debate be easily resolved by simply digging up records to see how much each town has contributed in tax revenue and seeing where the bulk of the revenue is spent?

Comment

what does "infrastructure" mean to you? All of Hilo's businesses are at the core of the town. When you talk about "traffic", you aren't in Hilo's traffic zones, because you won't be stuck in the residential zones trying to move town-wards. Try coming from Keaukaha, Hamakua, Kaumana, Waiakea Uka, and Panaewa (the last gateway to/from Puna), then you will know what I mean. But on the east side, it moves circumferentially, whereas in Kona, there's a reason why there's a Waikoloa and a Kukio and a Keauhou and a Kealakekua, and a Hokulia. There isn't a set business district and it isn't clear what efforts are being made to have a tighter urban environment in Kona.

Again, what is "infrastructure"? The number of malls? Supermarkets? Bank branches? Parks? Well, Hilo's bayfront cannot support development, because it is a marsh and a tidal wave zone, so it has defaulted into a soccer and football park in the meantime. But then you have old airport (and don't get me started on airports; flying in to Hilo, that aiport is in the middle of everything, which means that if my plane turns into a fireball, we are talking a catastrophic amount of lives with the all the houses nearby). If you are talking about shopping, Hilo has two KTAs, two SacknSaves, one Safeway and a Prince Kuhio Plaza. (Shucks! I forgot: two Longs. /full list)

What shopping opportunities does Kona have?

Puna has been the stepchild of the county for the longest time and deserves to squawk the most. Talk about sprawl, maile pilau-style. Subdivisions like weeds, Pahoa, Keaau Shopping Center and Verna's in Mountain View. Quick Pa! Git yer money cuz we-za shopping toooday!

(but like I told you earlier, I agree with you about that obnoxious letter to the editor. )

aloha, P

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                        what does "infrastructure" mean to you?
                        Roads, and parks is generally the infrastructure I'm talking about. I've driven around Hilo numerous times. There has been only maybe few instances that
                        I've encountered severe traffic issues, like when school gets out for example. Overall its 200% less stressful driving around Hilo versus Kona.

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        Wouldn't the debate be easily resolved by simply digging up records to see how much each town has contributed in tax revenue and seeing where the bulk of the revenue is spent?
                        That would be an interesting adventure to partake. But for me, even if the data showed otherwise,too much of the tax revenue has been spent in Hilo.That being based upon the superior infrastructure it has over the rest of the island.

Bear in mind 70% of property tax revenue originates from West Hawaii (Of that 41% overall property tax take comes from the Kaupulehu, Waikoloa,
                        Mauna Lani, Mauna resort nodes).

One other interesting fact is what is presented on this web pages (Bear in mind the data is 7 years old).

http://www.bonniegoodell.com/losrisk.htm

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        Actually, Hilo seems to be in better shape than Honolulu.
                        But when comparing Hilo vs the rest of the Big Island, Hilo has disproportionately better infrastructure.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Toll Roads

Yeah but in Oahu's case, it's also an issue of finding ways to reduce the number of cars on the island...
                          Actually, you are wrong. City planner Toru Hamayasu has already said (in a taped interview that aired Sept. ’06 on ‘Ōlelo-52) that “reducing the number of cars on the island” is not a goal, and based on the O‘ahu’s increasing population, impossible - even if rail transit, a ferry system, and highway widening were employed simultaneously.
                          But for Hawaii, a tollroad would make more sense because of the few population centers separated by vast open spaces and these pop centers aren’t big enough to generate enough tax revenue to build all the infrastructure they want.
                          That’s true. This is what the residents should be demanding.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

So if I buy an acre for forty bucks, say, on Lo'ihi, and I wait a bit...

http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/27/news/story03.html

...I can start screaming for my share of infrastructure from Big Island taxes, too? Maybe I can get a bridge built?
                            Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

http://www.hawaii-county.com/annual_...s/ar-index.htm

http://www.hawaii-county.com/mayor/State_of_County.pdf

http://www.hawaii-county.com/mayor/2...et_Message.pdf

I'm still following the money trail to find stats on actual dollars spent where.
                              Last edited by sinjin; June 1, 2007, 05:51 AM.

Comment

These are good:

http://www.hawaii-county.com/info/wh...20Brochure.pdf

http://www.hawaii-county.com/info/eh/EH-M.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X