Exteme Makeover Home Edition in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exteme Makeover Home Edition in Hawaii

I know almost nothing about this show, but I'm typing this from the Starbucks in Kam Shopping Center, and a big, burly guy with floppy yellow hair, wearing an Extreme Makeover Home Edition shirt walked in and ordered a few huge cups of coffee. People came over to talk to him and talk about the project. He was quite animated and friendly. I didn't hear the conversation because I didn't even notice him until he was about to leave.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

<Raises cup with water from the igloo water dispenser> : Here's to Hawai'i's finest builders... make us proud!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Good thing you were kidding.
        I hope.

Keep hoping.

Though I would keep an eye out for Ty on the road in case he's driving drunk.
        Last edited by Random; June 7, 2007, 10:59 PM.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
          LOL on the sabotage joke. It's already an eight day build according to some accounts. Heck, why would that be so bad? is the seven day build for keeping costs down? I suppose....cuz otherwise it couldn't matter to viewers how long it took, with film editing.
          Because they always complete the houses in the mainland in 7 days, though edited down for a one-hour show.

Comment

BTW, would it be cruel to the Japanese billionaire Gensiro Kawamoto if we selected one of the families who moved into one of his houses for an extreme house makeover?

It shouldn't bother him because he did demo'ed the property wall and filled up the pool with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              It's probably an 8 day build because of renovating the Keiki O Ka Aina headquarters down the street...and because it's a 2 hour special.
              the one they did out here in KC was in all actuallity a 9 day thing... tho they say its really only 7 everything said and done it took them 9 days... so I wouldnt be suprised that it takes 8 or 9 out there.
              Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl View Post
                the one they did out here in KC was in all actuallity a 9 day thing... tho they say its really only 7 everything said and done it took them 9 days... so I wouldnt be suprised that it takes 8 or 9 out there.
                I wonder, when they say 7 days, if that includes only the construction and excludes the demolition and clearing? The Akana's home was completely demo'd. I don't know about the KOKA facility but that looked in worse shape than the home. Hopefully I can glean a bit more info this week-end. I was invited to come on board! Can't wait...even had to buy some real shoes! I figured my flip flops wouldn't make the grade! Poor feet haven't been in closed shoes in about 8 years! I am, however, looking forward to the blue t-shirt. Whatta fashion statement!

Wow! Just saw on the news, the 2 story frame is up, the roof is on and work has begun on KOKA.

Comment

I'm so jealous - not only will you get to meet the designers (my favorite is Michael) but you'll also get to be around The Bachelor, Andy, who will up there helping out tomorrow afternoon. Wow - what a way to spend a saturday!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I wonder, when they say 7 days, if that includes only the construction and excludes the demolition and clearing?
                    Hey, the day the family moved out of the old house is the day I start counting.

Comment

Anapuni, Michael is my favorite, too. I'd dig being able to hug his neck someday and thank him for the smile that lights up my tv screen.

Sue, live it up, have a blast and when ya have time do post as much fun stuff as you can remember to type.

Looks like the weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend just like it was today, Uh it's after midnight, I do mean Friday.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        I'm so jealous - not only will you get to meet the designers (my favorite is Michael) but you'll also get to be around The Bachelor, Andy, who will up there helping out tomorrow afternoon. Wow - what a way to spend a saturday!
                        There's no guarantee I'll meet any of them. I have no idea what I'll be doing but there's a good chance I could end up in the production trailer altho' I'd much rather get my hands dirty! Hopefully I can do both days this week-end!
                        Originally posted by Random View Post
                        Hey, the day the family moved out of the old house is the day I start counting.
                        Ah, but film days and real time days are 2 different animals!
                        [...]Sue, live it up, have a blast and when ya have time do post as much fun stuff as you can remember to type.[...]
                        Will do!

Comment

Sue, looking forward to hearing back from ya. huggz~

Cool to read at the Advertiser this AM that we don't have to go to Pier 38 for shuttle to the site but can catch it at the stadium, and parking and the shuttle are both free if we wanna. Next week if we have dynomite weather I may actually get inspired to do so. If they have potties there and I can carry some caffeine...... maybe so!

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOH!

MYYYYYYYYYYYY!

GAAAAAAAAWD!

UNBELIEVABLE!!

I'm stunned at how far along the house is. Amazing.

It's the "carpenter olympics" to quote one carpenter I sat next to on the bus!

I highly recommend that everyone who has the time hele on up to the site. It's absolutely incredible. I had to sign a confidentiality agreement which included taking no photos. I don't know if spectators have to sign anything but I did see some in the spectators viewing area clicking away!

I'm going to be very careful about what I post because I don't have a copy of the confidentiality agreement so will err on the side of caution based on what I remember reading.

The setting is spectacular. I think that back area of Kalihi Valley is my new favorite spot on Oahu. It's absolutely glorious with some fabulous older homes that I'd give my eye teeth for. The property the house and learning center sits on is large and beautifully situated. Whatta spot!

The area, in general, and the house, in particular, are teeming with humanity...hundreds of people. Sometimes it was difficult just to maneuver around. And the mud...OMG...the mud!!! I've never been on a production as large as this one. The logistics are overwhelming from both production and construction points of view. I'm truly amazed at what a well oiled machine it appears to be. The energy and aloha are palpable. It's as if the term "Hawaiian time" never existed! Everyone was busting okole, always with smiles.

Two of the volunteer ladies in my group are neighbors of the Akana's. I guess if ya can't beat 'em ya just join 'em!!! There were no complaints about the 1 week inconvenience. And, wow, are those people who live in the valley inconvenienced...not just the neighbors. Another volunteer just graduated from Moanalua HS. She kept muttering over and over about what a great grad present this day was and how it was the best day of her life so far!!! So cute!

One of the workman I talked with flew in from the BI. His boss paid the air fare for all his workers who wanted to volunteer. He was absolutely thrilled to be there.

The mess tent is open around the clock for crews. Food is always available and the workmen I rode the bus with were shocked that they could eat whenever they were hungry! A few of the guys around me finished eating and immediately fell asleep with their heads on the tables! Others fell asleep during the short bus ride back to pier 38. It truly is grueling work for those men and women and I didn't hear one complaint. Many sign up for 2 shifts in a row then come back the next day for more of the same! A paramedic team is on site around the clock. Each team takes a 24 hour shift.

Michael and Paul were there, working hard. I didn't see the others but that doesn't mean they weren't there.

The worst jobs during this week? Bus and big rig drivers! OMG! Both have to turn their vehicles around in a very small area; way too small to be able to make it in one turn. Back-up...forward turn...lather, rinse, repeat 'til it's accomplished.

So now I'm the proud owner of 2 t-shirts; one blue, one white! Quite a day. Well, not a full day as I have my own extreme makeover in progress with a next Friday move date! I do hope to get back one more time, tho'. The "vibes" are too good to miss!

Comment

Glad I landed here at my desk after dinner!

What a splendid report and I didn't expect a thing less. The smiles and caring you see from every volunteer you notice, and I mean on every one of their shows made me sure that Hawaii would deliver big on the aloha which is the very same thing in other states, but with different names....like in my home state of Texas, it's called "Southern Hospitality" and oh how we all pull together back home.

The lot does look really big in the pics I've seen, and believable that it can hold the new center and their new home.

I suspect that all volunteers have to sign the confidentiality agreement and not every spectator because volunteers get much closer to the buildings and their details, etc. THAT type of knowledge could indeed "steal their thunder" in the tv show not to air for months yet, so sounds fair and very necessary.

Thanks for letting us see the setting and experience through your eyes.

Now, even though we aren't personal friends I want you to know I'll dig hearing about your own makeover and move, no personal details of course but just how it's going, and how jazzed you are about your new decor, etc.

One of the best feelings in the world is waking up those first few mornings in a new home. It's sorta like we're dreaming, at first and I'll enjoy hearing any part of yours that you feel like sharing.

Comment

[...]One of the best feelings in the world is waking up those first few mornings in a new home. It's sorta like we're dreaming, at first and I'll enjoy hearing any part of yours that you feel like sharing.
                                My "makeover" and move is an office! I've posted bits and pieces in other threads but there's really not much to tell 'cuz it's only 464 sq. ft! It's taking 7 weeks while 2 3000 sq. ft buildings are taking 7 days!

And, yes, all EMHE volunteers sign confidentiality agreements, liability waivers and TV releases. That said, when one segment was being taped, a group of us volunteers who were standing close by were asked to move!

Comment

Working...
                                X