What makes Hawaiian music what it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes Hawaiian music what it is?

One of the things I do for fun is to compare different genres of music like pop, rock, jazz, classical. What do you guys think makes a song "Hawaiian" - besides the artist being from Hawaii?

Re: What makes Hawaiian music what it is?

I don't consider music to be Hawaiian just because the artist is from Hawaii. I break down my Hawaiian music into 2 major categories, Hawaiian and Island Contemporary. Of the 2 categories I will subdivide them into more sub-categories.

Hawaiian:
    `Oli/Mele - Some Keali`i Reichel, Hula Halau CDs, etc...
    Traditional - Older Hui Ohana, Sons of Hawaii, etc...
    Contemporary Hawaiian - Bros. Caz, Ho`okena, Holunape, Na Palapalai, etc...
    Kihoalu - Keola Beamer, Led Kaapana, etc.

Island Contemporary:
    Old School - Country Comfort, The Alii's, anything pre 1990, etc...
    Jawaiian/Reggae - Hoaikane, BET, Natural Vibes, Ooklah the Moc, etc...
    Contemporary: Na Leo, `Ale`a, Jake, etc...
    Rock - Surf Psycho Sexy, Sunburn, Tone Deaf Teens, etc

To give examples, my media library under Hawaiian is all songs that are 99.99% Hawaiian language. Each song can be performed at Merrie Monarch in competition without any penalty for English words. Everything else is under Island contemporary. I would consider Iz more island contemporary than Hawaiian in his music. Similar with most of the latest Bros. Caz stuff. I have most of Ho`okena's music as Hawaiian but I have "The Prayer" with Maila Gibson as island contemporary because almost half of it is in English.
    You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

The ability to take a hit song, make a half -ass cover of it, then get people to love it.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

I see it differently:

Mele Hawai'i: na mele i haku 'ia a himeni 'ia ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i.

Hawaiian music: music composed and arranged in homage to the musical styles reknown throughout Hawaii. The subgenres in this category are diverse and many. Half of it is the music and the other half is the lyric.

On a side note, AB that was obnoxious. Hawaiian music, not just island music.

pax

Comment

Here's a good read dealing with this topic....

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/entertai..._category.html

DD
          www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

One of the most identifying traits, as someone who grew up far away from Hawaii, and knows not that much about real Hawaiian music, is the sound of the lap steel guitar...the Hawaiian tuning used on that instrument gives a sound that makes on immediately think of Hawaii, and no other place.

There are country tunings for the same instrument that make one immdeitaely think of Nashville, but the Hawaiian tuning on lapsteel, and it's beautiful, lilting sound, quickly identify itself as "Hawaiian" when I hear it.

Whether or not that is what "real Hawaiian" music is, I'm not best suited to answer, but universally, that sound is the one that seems to be identified with Hawaiin music. I could be mistaking that for the old hapa haole stuff too.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Hawaiian music is our soul & identity to the world

As a slack key player myself, I consider the english lyric songs Hapa and the contemporary stuff local jams.

Traditional Hawaiian music got to include the Hawaiian Lyrics! If you really want to get traditional, it has no guitars or ukulele, and only the oli!

Here is a video I would like to share of my friend and i playing Kihou'Alu and contempory Hawaiian stuff. I am no professional and only a backyard player so no laugh how I sing..
              http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25lhs_slack

Aloha

Layne

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone. Layne - Good job. I won't mention the acoutics however......

Does anyone know what tuning sytem is used on the lap steel guitar? Also, has there been any wriiten system been developed for hawaiian music? Not just a translation in classical mode - but it's own unique system (as is with jazz music)?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  Thanks for your input everyone. Layne - Good job. I won't mention the acoutics however......

Does anyone know what tuning sytem is used on the lap steel guitar? Also, has there been any wriiten system been developed for hawaiian music? Not just a translation in classical mode - but it's own unique system (as is with jazz music)?

Howzit Acousticlady!

Haad fo tell I live by a major highway! LOL!

As for the lap steel guitar many different players had different tunings. I was once told of a story about an old steel player called Joe Gang. When Gabby Pahinui was young ,he would go to see this man and he had all his tunings written on the wall.
                  I know for one that they use the C 6th or open c tunings on steel guitar

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post

It depends on how many strings your lap steel is. I have 6 string. The guy who shredded it up on my record has a dual 8.

He told me his tuning which is ...

hi to low G E C A G E C G A ( I think ) The A is what gives it that Hawaiian sound.

On the 6 string I've used that tuning minus the 2 lower strings.

I used another one, but forgot what it is right now.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                    X