Aloha Niihau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha Niihau

A new book has been published, Aloha Niihau, which is the fruit of the combined effort of three native Hawaiian speakers from Ni'ihau: Emalia Niau Licayan, Virginia Kananiokaleohoomana Nizo, and Elama Kanahele. This book was written in the Ni'ihau dialect of Hawaiian and English, and it is pretty cheap. When I looked for it on Amazon.com, its listed price was $8.95. http://www.amazon.com/Niihau-Histori...1175054&sr=1-3

Product Description
    Written in both the Niihau dialect of the Hawaiian language and in English, "Aloha Niihau" is a compilation of oral histories by three women from Niihau: Emalia Licayan, Virginia Nizo and Elama Kanahele. The Niihau dialect has continued from ancient times relatively unchanged. It contains the very codes to a Hawaiian perspective that can be obtained only by close association with native speakers. "Aloha Niihau" seeks to help students of Hawaiian increase their knowledge and understanding of the culture and language. For the Niihau community, this text will help to preserve the oral histories of Niihau in their important native dialect.

About the Author
    Elama Kanahele was born and raised on the island of Niihau with a deep and abiding affection for God to whom she was eternally grateful. Her desire to collect and publish the stories found in "Aloha Niihau" stemmed from her deep passion for education and her even deeper compassion for children. Kimo Armitage was raised in Haleiwa, Oahu, by his maternal grandparents. Weekends and school holidays were spent spearing fish, harvesting wana, collected rock salt, pickling mangoes, cooking hulihuli chicken and picking limu. These memories are the creative source of his writing. Keao NeSmith was born in Waimea, Kauai and raised on Hawaiian Homestead in Kekaha. He was taught Hawaiian at a young age while living with his grandmother, Annie Kauhane, of Ka'u and Puna, Hawaii. His passions are his 'aina, Kauai, and the preservation of the essence of the language and knowledge of his people.

Paperback: 88 pages
    Publisher: Island Heritage Publishing; First edition (April 1, 2007)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1597002097
    ISBN-13: 978-1597002097
    Here is an example of text from the book, provided by Kauakukalahale:

"Holo matou iwaena o teia aina, Katulanui. Maleila matou e hele aku ana no te ahiahi loa ... a poeleele aku paha. Ti mai. Lohe matou i ta kani o ta pu, a lele ae kela pota... maluna ae o matou. Matou pau loa, pau i ta emi ilalo ... pane mai ketahi, 'He mea te hele mai nei!...' Pee matou ilalo.

"Ai tauhale, hoopaa ia o Papa Kinikani e tela poe Tepani. Tupee ia lakou i ka lima mahape ... Ale i lawe ia to lakou ola. Hoopaahao ia no lakou ... walaau mai he aha ta mea e hana'i. Kotua aku kotua mai lakou ia lakou iho no. Puta mai lakou mai tela hale.

"Na Tutu Kinikani no i moolelo mai ia matou i ta mea i hana ia ia ia me teia pailaka ... Puta ana oia iwaho a ai ka teia mau Tepani te hele nei a puni ta hale me ta kini aila mahu... Ho'a i ta hale i te ahi. Ae, oia ta moolelo.

"A takahiaka, lohe matou...'Ka Tepani, ua mate!' Pololei teia moolelo. Owau ketahi ileila... hele a tunahihi ta alualu... me ta uwe, uwe oe, a oli maoli. Te ano uwe oli ana no o ta poe o ta wa mamua."
    More info here:
    http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/29/n...ukalahale.html

http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/06/n...ukalahale.html
    Last edited by 'i'iwipolena; June 6, 2007, 02:20 PM.
    I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.
Working...
X