Advertiser Cutbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertiser Cutbacks

Looks like it's started. Gannett wants to trim Advertiser staff to reduce payroll. Likely start by offering buyouts to older, experienced -- and more expensive -- personnel. A half-dozen need to be eliminated in the newsroom alone.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Advertiser Cutbacks

www.iLind.net offers this tidbit today:

The Advertiser’s buyout offer, announced earlier this summer, will reportedly result in the retirement of a number of well-known writers. Rumor has it that court reporter Ken Kobayashi, Kauai Bureau chief Jan TenBruggencate, Public Affairs Editor Jerry Burris, and education writer Bev Creamer are among those taking advantage of the offer, said to include “a week’s pay for every year of service; medical coverage for three years or until age 65; and two years of service credits toward the pension plan.”

Comment

My hat is off to anyone who works in the media nowadays.

Journalism truly is a die-hard profession. You must love it first and accept the sacrifices you must make to succeed.

Comment

As forecast:

Jan TenBruggencate announcing his retirement from the Advertiser in his column today. Sez he's going to be a (shudder) blogger.

Comment

Well, now ... this is confusing. Here's what appears at the end of Jerry Burris's column in today's Advertiser:

"With this column, Jerry Burris retires from The Advertiser. His column will return in January, with the start of a new legislative session and a busy political year.

"Reach Jerry Burris at jburris@honoluluadvertiser.com. Read his daily blog at blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com."

If he's retiring, how can "his" column resume in January, and why are readers directed to his honoluluadvertiser email and daily blog?

Comment

I saw that this morning too, and was as confused as you are.
            Just figured I hadn't had enough coffee yet.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              I saw that this morning too, and was as confused as you are.
              Just figured I hadn't had enough coffee yet.
              Maybe he won't be coming to work every day but just submitting a column once or twice a week from the Lanikai bureau.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I hear Mike Fisch is leaving too, off to New York. He was here a long time for a Gannett factionary.

New publisher will likely be a Gannett guy near retirement who will do some bloody staff-hacking, then, out to pasture.
                Burl Burlingame
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  Maybe he won't be coming to work every day but just submitting a column once or twice a week from the Lanikai bureau.
                  Yeah, I figured it meant he'd be freelancing as a Contributing Columnist or some such thing. But still, the blurb at the end of his column today could've been a bit more clear about it.

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                  I hear Mike Fisch is leaving too, off to New York.
                  The Advertiser ran a whole story about that Thursday. Amusingly, the Star-Bulletin had this story a whole day earlier than the Advertiser did!

He was here a long time for a Gannett factionary.
                  Yes, just like Chris Haire's 1-1/2 years at the Weakly was a relatively long run. A few years back they brought in an Editor from the Pacific Northwest (as I recall) and they stayed here less than two months.
                  Last edited by LikaNui; August 31, 2007, 08:42 AM. Reason: Added linx

Comment

The Advertiser ran a whole story about that Thursday. Amusingly, the Star-Bulletin had this story a whole day earlier than the Advertiser did!
                    I'm not in town at the moment, so I'm out of the loop. Webber? Heh heh heh....
                    Burl Burlingame
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

PBN SCOOPS column reporting today that this is the last day at work for 32(!) Advertiser employees who have accepted the paper's early retirement buyout.

Comment

The Tizer newsroom retirees are using THEIR OWN MONEY to set up an internship program for Ka Leo staffers, since Gannett is too cheap to hire interns.

And the office aloha for the departing staffers? The Advertiser is charging their staff $5 each to attend. This is really embarrassing. Or pathetic.

Maybe they're serving Kool-Aid.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          The Tizer newsroom retirees are using THEIR OWN MONEY to set up an internship program for Ka Leo staffers, since Gannett is too cheap to hire interns.
                          Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought internships were always non-paying positions, in any line of work.

Half the staff of the Weakly are interns, and they're always looking for more.

Comment

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong,
                            Ok!
                            but I thought internships were always non-paying positions, in any line of work.[...]
                            Nope...not always. I know first hand that some interns receive stipends.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Nope...not always. I know first hand that some interns receive stipends.
                              Thanks, Tutu. I stand corrected. (What an odd feeling to be corrected. I've never ever experienced that before!)

Comment

Working...
                              X