Advertiser Cutbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser Cutbacks

The poor old Star-Bulletin pays its interns. I dunno if the Tizer still does. I hope they do. We don't pay a lot, but it's more than minimum wage.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought internships were always non-paying positions, in any line of work.

Half the staff of the Weakly are interns, and they're always looking for more.
      years ago my Advertiser internship was paid. i'm pretty sure they still do that. in fact, when I was in SPJ, each org offering an internship was doing it at something like $2500 for the summer.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Thanks, Tutu. I stand corrected. (What an odd feeling to be corrected. I've never ever experienced that before!)
        Kinda like crapping in your pants?
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Editor's take:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...1114/OPINION05

Comment

Sniff. Boo freakin hoo. The experienced Tizer people were bought out because they're the most expensive. Fact of business life. For Platt to whine sadly about it ignores the notion that getting rid of these people was decided by Gannett bean-counters like himself. Got to maintain that 30 percent profit level. The Advertiser is NOT losing money.

At least it was voluntary. Next round is forced layoffs.
            Burl Burlingame
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              Sniff. Boo freakin hoo. The experienced Tizer people were bought out because they're the most expensive. Fact of business life. For Platt to whine sadly about it ignores the notion that getting rid of these people was decided by Gannett bean-counters like himself. Got to maintain that 30 percent profit level. The Advertiser is NOT losing money.

At least it was voluntary. Next round is forced layoffs.

When you start making real money you have to watch out.

Besides that fat paycheck you take home every 2 weeks you also have a target on your back.

Comment

I hear Ben Cayetano showed up at the goodbye party (did he also pay $5?) and talked about how this this loss to the Advertiser is a benefit to the Star-Bulletin. Good ol' Ben.
                Burl Burlingame
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Well, Gannett is cutting another link to the Honolulu (Hawaii?) Advertiser....
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Local "news" has always been a joke. Just pawns of the monopoly.

I hope they all die a miserable death.

The days of the words Newspaper and Tycoon being used together are PAU.

Good riddance and Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                      Local "news" has always been a joke. Just pawns of the monopoly.

I hope they all die a miserable death.

The days of the words Newspaper and Tycoon being used together are PAU.

Good riddance and Aloha.
                      Yeah. Depth to The Monopoly. Long live the words pictures Newspaper and Typhoon! May quotation marks never help clarify a sentence!

Comment

If you're at one paper, you should have the sense to realize that your job security lies in the fact that the other paper is in business. Rivalries are good for the town. Checks and balances. Fill in the gaps. Scoop the competition. Without competition, what good is the news?
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                          Yeah. Depth to The Monopoly. Long live the words pictures Newspaper and Typhoon! May quotation marks never help clarify a sentence!
                          Post of the Day!

Comment

Many at the Agonizer resent the Star-Bulletin's survival because they've been told that their job security relied on the S-B being killed. Older, experienced folk there know the opposite is true. In every community where Gannett has gained a monopoly, they've slashed their own staffs below the bone.

It looks like the the Agonizer may be put up for sale next year.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I don't recall seeing this posted at HT - and not sure whether this goes under Advertiser Cutbacks, but here it is:

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                                I don't recall seeing this posted at HT
                                It's the link Burl posted about seven posts back in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X