Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser Cutbacks

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    I hear Ben Cayetano showed up at the goodbye party (did he also pay $5?) and talked about how this this loss to the Advertiser is a benefit to the Star-Bulletin. Good ol' Ben.
    Ass probable cuz Benny Boys old pal Colbert Matsumoto (name?), the guy who was appointment Grand Master (my name) to go after Bishop Estate. He now is part owner of the Star Bulletin. I'm sure there plan is to take what was always considered the "conservative" one of the 2 papers and turn it into a communist rag.

Either way, I think they are still stuck in the old days and as Warren Buffet said in so many words, "newspaper is dead".

Hahaha.

Comment

I will not pay for a Honolulu Advertiser.

There are several people there I personally like and/or respect (or both, in some cases).

There are also those whose stuff I like to read, but not a penny of my money will voluntarily go from my wallet to that company.

So I read it online and resent, that in trying to do a click-through to get to material prepared by certain of those writers, I'm asked to provide my demographic information to support the Tizer's advertising efforts. It's not gonna happen.

After entering "creative" information on several occasions, I have now found a way around the invasive, intrusive, none-o'-your-dang-business data-gathering effort.

I want Gannett management to leave my online experience alone.
      Last edited by Erika Engle; December 23, 2007, 12:14 PM. Reason: Clarity, as usual.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I also will not give any money to Gannett. I make it a point to buy the S-B every
        morning,even if I have to make several stops to find it at 04:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
          After entering "creative" information on several occasions, I have now found a way around the invasive, intrusive, none-o'-your-dang-business data-gathering effort.
          For any who feel this way, be it regarding the 'tizer or any online presence, visit these folks. I use 'em regularly.

Comment

Palolo and Leo, thanks for your posts -- you rock!
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Re: Advertiser strike?

Anybody catch this story in the Star-Bulletin yesterday?:
              Union upset at ‘unilateral’ proposal by Gannett

The owner of the Honolulu Advertiser has threatened to unilaterally implement a proposal that would increase workers' medical premiums and freeze wages for a year, according to the union representing the company's more than 600 workers.
              Gannett Co. Inc., presented a "final offer" to the Hawaii Newspaper and Printing Trades Council on Friday for a two-year contract that it would implement entirely or in part if the union didn't ratify a contract within 30 days, according to Wayne Cahill, administrative officer for the Hawaii Newspaper Guild, one of six unions jointly negotiating with Gannett under the Hawaii Newspaper and Printing Trades Council.
              Gannett officials at the Advertiser didn't return calls for comment before press deadline yesterday.
              Cahill said the move "brought things to a crisis," and warned that a strike is possible if an alternative agreement isn't reached.
              "It depends how serious they are in having a final offer," he said. "Our focus is on getting a settlement, but if the company forces us with this kind of a proposal that could happen. We think it's a slap in the face to the employees."
              (...)
              Workers' contracts were scheduled to expire last June, but were extended during negotiations, which started last May. Cahill said the union has met with Gannett officials four or five times to exchange proposals and counterproposals, but has not had substantive discussions to date.
              Gannett's latest offer includes changes to medical plans that would result in workers paying more in premiums and more than double the co-pay for prescription drugs, according to Cahill. Workers now pay 10 percent of the health-care premium, but would be required to pay 15 percent, he said.
              Another part of the proposal freezes wages from June 2007 to June 2008 and implements a 1 percent wage increase between June 2008 to June 2009, with a bonus upon ratification equal to 1.5 percent of annual pay, Cahill said.
              "With inflation, it is a pay-cut proposal, because inflation is going to be nearly 6 percent in Honolulu this year," he said. "The pay increases they're proposing would not cover the increased cost in the medical premiums people would have to pay."
              Further troubling the union is that there's no indication the Advertiser is having any financial difficulties, the union said.
              Over the past few years, Cahill said: "Gannett management was making a great point to let everybody know about how this (newspaper) was doing better than any other (newspaper)."
              The Hawaii Newspaper and Printing Trades Council is comprised of the Hawaii Newspaper Guild, Honolulu Typographical Union, International Longshore & Warehouse Union, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Hawaii Printing & Graphic Communications Union and the Graphic Communications Conference of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
              The last strike at the Advertiser lasted for two months. Maybe some Tizer folks will see the light and switch to the S-B?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Not totally related to cutbacks, but here's a Star Bull version of where the negotiations at the Advertiser stand:

http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/08/b...s/story04.html

Comment

Yep, it looks like a strike is expected.
                  More than 600 workers at the Honolulu Advertiser are taking a step closer to a strike in their contract dispute with the newspaper.
                  At their next meeting on Feb. 17, members of the Hawaii Newspaper and Printing Trades Council will vote on whether to give their negotiating committee authority to call a strike against the Gannett Co. Inc. unit.
                  Much more in the Star-Bulletin link that Kimo provided.
                  Funny thing... no mention of any of this in the Advertiser.

Comment

there's no way the tiser is going to allow the strike to happen, they'll give in sooner or later.

on that note, has there ever been a strike at a gannet paper? or at one of the two hawaii dalies?

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                      on that note, has there ever been a strike at a gannet paper? or at one of the two hawaii dalies?
                      Yes, to the second part of the question. According to this story that I quoted a few posts ago:
                      The last strike at the Advertiser - which at the time had a joint operating agreement with the Star-Bulletin - was in 1963. That strike lasted for about two months.
                      Obviously Gannett wasn't involved 45 years ago.
                      Not sure about strikes at other Gannett papers.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                        has there ever been a strike at a gannet paper?
                        Yes, and a very long one at that - the Detroit News, starting July 13, 1995 and lasting for 583 days.

Comment

I happened to walk past the Advertiser this afternoon to find half the staff on the front steps and sidewalk. They were all crowded around union guy Wayne Cahill, who was relating to them what Gannett was telling him. Much of it was verbatim in the Bulletin article.

I was talking to a few folks I know in the crowd. It's looking pretty serious.
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            I happened to walk past the Advertiser this afternoon to find half the staff on the front steps and sidewalk. They were all crowded around union guy Wayne Cahill, who was relating to them what Gannett was telling him. Much of it was verbatim in the Bulletin article.

I was talking to a few folks I know in the crowd. It's looking pretty serious.
                            I was there, too, with my husband. Wish we could have met.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                              I was there, too, with my husband. Wish we could have met.
                              Oh, dang! I guess Wayne had your undivided attention. I walked up, started taking photos of the crowd. Couple of them gave me dirty looks! "Who da heck is dis guy?"

I saw Richard Couch and Lucy Witeck and talked to them. Lee Cataluna was there wrangling her fussing kid in stroller.

I'll have to check the pix see if I can spot you!
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

You're good, Blaine! I didn't even notice a photographer around!!! Wonder if you'll see me?!!
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X