• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LPs, VHS & 35mm Film

Originally posted by mel View Post
    1. Vinyl Records
    2. Cassette Tapes
    3. VHS Tape
    I share some of this ground with Mel. I still have about 2000 LPs (as opposed to around 4000 CDs) and have never been without a turntable as part of of my home stereo. I've also got around 2800 cassette tapes that I've made, many of them containing radio programs from the late '70s through mid '90s. And I still use VHS tapes on a daily basis, and have several hundred around the house.

Last fall, I bought a new computer into which I could hook up the stereo and the VCR, to burn CDs/DVDs, but I still haven't made the effort to do so. I'm not particularly inspired to duplicate much of my audio-visual materials into yet another format, since I can still get decent quality out of the turntable, the cassette deck, and the VCRs; copying them onto digital discs would provide little benefit to me (more to the AF, however, who would like to put some of my vinyl onto her mp3 player.)

Comment

I once had a couple thousand LPs and 45s but sadly had to reduce their numbers to make space in my home. Cheers to everyone who keeps the older formats going!

This past week I've been running my old 35mm Yashica camera through its paces. Just got a new battery thing for it (original batteries for this model is very difficult to come by)....
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

VINYL: have several thousand LPs, plus 45s; these are played on a manual SONY turntable for conversion to CDs; some of my more desirable platters will be framed as wall "art" - these are autographed by the artists;

8-TRACK: have a SONY 8-track recording deck in storage which may or may not be in operating condition, plus a bunch of cartridges;

CASSETTES: have two SONY dual-cassette auto-reverse decks (one has dual recording wells), JVC dual cassette auto-reverse deck, PHASE LINEAR single deck, PIONEER single auto-reverse deck;

INTEGRATED AMPS: KENWOOD (90 watts RMS, still working); SAE (may not be working);

RECEIVERS: two SONY A/V "surround-sound;" McIntosh (not working);

VCRs: PANASONIC; SHARP; JVC; GO-VIDEO dual-deck (not working properly);

DVD: SONY player; HITACHI dual-deck (DVD player + VCR); GO-VIDEO dual-deck (DVD recorder + VCR); SANSUI dual-deck (DVD recorder + VCR);

KARAOKE: PIONEER multi-format (DVD, CD-graphics, CDR-RW, Laser Disc); LEAD-SINGER microphone system w/song chips.

As you can tell, I'm an electronics "junkie" of sorts and a "pack-rat." As far as cameras go, we have a number of digital range-finder types (CANON SURE SHOT) and I have a non-working Minolta XD-11 35mm SLR. Two working cam-corders (CANON Mini-DV and HITACHI Hi-8). There is also a PANASONIC video camera from 1981 which still works.

Comment

I have an old Sony belt drive turntable I use for archiving lost 45's. I also keep an old Nakamichi BX-1 cassette deck when I need to archive lost cassettes.

Alas I don't have a 10-1/2" NAB style reel to reel deck to transfer my old 1/2 track Otari air checks from the early 80's. I wonder if those tapes are any good? I had some old Maxell Gold back coated reel to reel tapes that with the Manoa weather became stuck together as the oxide on the tape rusted the layers together.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Still using a VHS VCR, mostly to record TV programs that I can watch later and after I am done watching reuse the tape for another time.

I haven't used audio cassette for a few years but I know I still have blank tapes and at least one of the portable players has a cassette unit.

The other I selected was for the APS camera that I have. Slightly newer than 35mm film.

Comment

Those with good cassette tape decks ought to hold on to em because it seems hardly any company is making them these days.

My turntable is a Panasonic Technics semi-automatic single play model. It urks me sometimes when the tone arm wants to play the same record again and again... but then this thing is probably about 15 to 20 years old. Use it to play my vinyl and of course to rip titles from analog to digital on my Mac.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I still use a VCR to record programs on television. And I still have a Canon AE-1 with a bunch of lenses, though I haven't used it since 2000, when I bought a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 990). The AE-1 still has some undeveloped film in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                  And I still have a Canon AE-1 ... , though I haven't used it since 2000, .... The AE-1 still has some undeveloped film in it.
                  I'd get it developed. Film doesn't keep forever. It might already be gone.

Comment

Drat, I voted wrong, but oh well.

I'll admit to being mostly technological, but I still use old camera equipment. I've got a Canon AE-1 as well which I use fairly frequently, and at school we have medium and large format cameras that I'll use from time to time. I've been meaning to get a Holga of my own.

I still have a bunch of VHS tapes but my VCR is broken and I just can't justify buying/fixing it. And of course, my tv is ancient. I don't know models, but it's got the separate UHF knob, if that's any indicator.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

TV's with tuning knobs are old, especially separate ones with 2 - 13 for VHF and 14 - 83 for UHF.... the latter being really old if it goes up to 83 as 70 to 83 was taken away from TV years ago. Newer sets had UHF channels 14 to 69.

I've been wanting to get a Holga for quite a while. They have them on sale at Amazon and other places. I have a cheap old Diana in a box in a closet somewhere at my parents' place.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        And I still have a Canon AE-1 with a bunch of lenses, though I haven't used it since 2000, when I bought a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 990). The AE-1 still has some undeveloped film in it.
                        I found a roll of undeveloped film a couple of years back that had to be 10 years old. The pictures came out but they all had a red tint to them - actually, they looked pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          I'd get it developed. Film doesn't keep forever. It might already be gone.
                          That's why I won't develop it. It's probably gone (and there wasn't anything important on it). To make matters worse, it was slide film, Kodachrome.

Since this thread is about digital/"now-presumed-obsolete" mediums, what about slide films? What about Kodachrome? I've tried scanning old Kodachrome slides, but get terrible results. Other types of slides come out okay, but Kodachrome is a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            TV's with tuning knobs are old, especially separate ones with 2 - 13 for VHF and 14 - 83 for UHF.... the latter being really old if it goes up to 83 as 70 to 83 was taken away from TV years ago. Newer sets had UHF channels 14 to 69.

Yep, just checked mine. Second knob goes up to 83! No wonder I never get anything but static. Good enough for me though, I don't watch much tv anyway.

I loved using the Holgas, and they're really cheap, I don't know why I don't just buy one. And a roll of electrical tape, can't forget that.

Walking home from work today I saw a guy with an old 4x5 camera set up on the sidewalk. 4x5s are fun but they take so much work. Loading each sheet individually, focusing and hoping your image stays in focus while you add the film, then developing each individually.. what a pain. But nice results.

On the subject of slide film, we had to shoot with slide film for my color photography class last semester. I botched the first roll so had to do it twice, but they turned out pretty cool. I need to scan them when I get back to school. I've never used kodachrome, so I can't help you there.

And speaking of cameras, what about Polaroids? We used to have one a few years ago but I think it got lost somewhere in storage. At school we did a project with polaroid transfers that I would love to try again.

I really can ramble about cameras, sorry..
                            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Yep, 14 - 83 is old school UHF. Back in the mid and late 1980s, when cell phones were mostly analog, you could pick up random cell phone conversations by tuning into some of the higher channels on the UHF dial of your TV. That was kind of strange fun back in the day.

I ditto your opinion on Holga. I should just simply buy one. The non-flash model is $20. Depending on what you want to do with the camera, not using black tape around it may "add" to the photos with the light streaks intact.

A friend of mine had 2 view cameras. I don't ever recall him using it. Second to that is the Mamiya RB67, which is a giant size 120 roll film camera. I used that a few times to take group shots of people at our school. The big negative cameras allow you to make collosal size photos if you have the paper and room to do it!

I used to do a lot of black and white film and print processing more than 20 years ago. Kind of miss it sometimes. Was fun, but very time consuming.

Dabbled a little in processing Ektachrome slide film years ago. The temp controls had to be very accurate or your film would be ruined.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh yes C-6 processing for Kodak slide film and I do believe C-6 will develop Kodachrome 64.

Back then for the best slide film you had to use Kodachrome. Wedding photographers loved the stuff because you could set up a changing bag to transfer the roll of film into a film cannister and process right on the spot. The whole process took less than 20-minutes.

Then you cut the finished film into individual slides and put em in the bank of projectors just in time for the wedding reception.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X