X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Sopranos

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Same here, Ryan.
    Anyone else willing to 'fess up with us?
    Hand raised right here. Episodic television just has no grip on me any longer - even stuff I know I would enjoy (like --- here goes another confession of a show I've not watched at all --- "Lost." Don't hate me, Ryan.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Hand raised right here. Episodic television just has no grip on me any longer - even stuff I know I would enjoy (like --- here goes another confession of a show I've not watched at all --- "Lost." Don't hate me, Ryan.)
      :::Confessing to not watching "Lost":::

Comment

I've watched every episode and enjoyed the series. Sure it had it's ups and downs, but for the most part it was entertaining. The finale was a disgrace in that the whole lovey-dovey ending with no resolution was infuriating. The whole idea of watching this "family", was that they were faced with the same problems that normal family's face, albeit without the killing and the like. The ending with Tony and Carmella, in a diner that they've never been in before, with a resurrected AJ and a soon-to-be engaged Meadow was so out of the ordinary. The whole world wanted to know if Tony either lived or died or if he would even be indicted on or even thrown in jail. To go to a blank screen as your final scene is such a cop-out. Imagine when they complete LOST they end it by saying it was a figment of the imagination of a madman. It would leave you betrayed and with no sense of reality. Hated that ending.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          I'm in Hilo, and have no access to HBO
          Which is exactly why I never watched it. (Not because you're in Hilo, but because I never had HBO.) And once they finally started airing reruns on 'regular' channels, I figured it would be hard to jump in the middle and figure out the whole thing; better to have started with it from the beginning.
          Kinda sorry that I wasn't able to see it, since it seemed so darned popular.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Jason Genegabus at the Star-Bulletin posted an extensively forwarded e-mail that purports to make some sense of that final diner scene.
            It's an interesting theory, but there's at least one hole in it.
            The shady guy in the diner who went to the mens' room isn't the same guy who owned the sporting goods store as stated in the email/article. The guy who owned the sporting goods store was played by Robert Patrick, the actor who played the T-1000 shape-shifting liquid metal robot in Terminator 2.

Wikipedia article on the episode.

*** EDIT: Ok, upon rereading the article, it doesn't say the man who went to the restroom is the same man who used to own the sporting goods store. It only says that the man who used to own the sporting goods store was in the diner. I think I would've remembered seeing Robert Patrick in the diner, but I don't. I will have to review that last scene.
            Last edited by zff; June 12, 2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I've yet to see a single episode of The Sopranos (the first disc of Season 1 is just in from Netflix), but it's been impossible to avoid discussion of the finale. Jason Genegabus at the Star-Bulletin posted an extensively forwarded e-mail that purports to make some sense of that final diner scene. Sounds like the kind of little details that a brilliant series would rely on to wrap up, but because I don't know the show, I have no idea how likely this theory is.

That makes alot of sense, I was wondering about Meadow walking in so late and the bathroom scene. Thanks for the link PZ
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Jason Genegabus at the Star-Bulletin posted an extensively forwarded e-mail that purports to make some sense of that final diner scene.
                I've revisited the final scene keeping that article in mind, and there are several holes.

When Tony walks into the diner he looks at himself sitting down at the table…you can be sure of this b/c he is wearing different clothes when he sits down.
                It's the same clothes. He just took off his jacket, that's all.

if you watch closely you will see Janice walk in shortly after Tony sits down…
                That wasn't Janice. It looked like her, but if you pause it, it'll be obvious it wasn't.

Then you will see the sports store owner who Tony destroyed walk in wearing a brown kinda hunting jacket…
                You never get a good enough look at that person's face to say one way or the other if it was Robert Patrick. While I can't say it wasn't, I don't know how anyone can say it was.

…a voice over: “You probably dont even here it when it happens rite?” (this is Bobby talking to Tony in the 1st episode of the season…Tony had this flashback as he was laying down in the last episode…there would be no reason to have had that in unless it had some huge significance…)
                This voiceover never happened in the last episode. It was probably the second-to-last episode, but that's because it's the episode where Bobby dies.

It's a very interesting theory -- I really like it -- but it's not based on anything we saw happen on the show.

Comment

I watched it again lastnight as well, and you are right it's not Janice.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                    I watched it again lastnight as well, and you are right it's not Janice.
                    Did you catch the part where Janice tells Uncle June that she is his daughter, which of course she isn't.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

yes, I caught saw that but I was confused by it.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                        yes, I caught saw that but I was confused by it.
                        He had money stashed somewhere and she was trying to get it. For the kids of course.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Check out the current HP printer description on www.woot.com
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            Check out the current HP printer description on www.woot.com
                            fuggetaboutit!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The New York Times has compiled reactions to the finale from some other prominent television writers, including those behind "LOST" and "Heroes."
                              My heart started beating. It had been racing throughout the last scene. Afterward I went to bed and lay next to my wife, awake, thinking about it for the next two hours. And I just thought it was great. It did everything well that ‘Godfather III’ did not do well.
                              Ron Moore, of "Battlestar Galactica," made perhaps the best case for why "The Sopranos" ends perfectly:
                              I don't want to see Tony's death, nor do I want to watch him drive off into witness protection, or sit down to some kind of illusory happiness in the bosom of his family. I simply want to pretend that his life continues, that he's still simultaneously worrying about onion rings and whether that guy is hiding a gun in the restroom. It's poetic. It's exciting. It's perfect.

Comment

The New York Times has compiled reactions to the finale from some other prominent television writers, including those behind "LOST" and "Heroes."Ron Moore, of "Battlestar Galactica," made perhaps the best case for why "The Sopranos" ends perfectly:
                                I thought the ending was exquisite.

After I realized that my DVR had not cut off the recording prematurely, that is.

Very cool. Perfect, IMHO.

And no, that was not Janice. Nor was Tony looking at himself sitting in the diner---rewind and you will see that the transition from Tony entering the diner and Tony sitting in the diner booth is just that---a transition. The scene never goes back to Tony entering the diner, which would make him appear to be looking at himself in the booth. He is not wearing different clothes in those scenes. Same clothes, leather jacket removed.

I'm glad that we didn't see Tony and his family get whacked. Along with Agent Harris, I was rooting for him.

And who cares if Chase was actually setting the scene for a movie sequel? I'd certainly consider going to see it, if it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X