Varsity Twin Cinema Closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Varsity Twin Cinema Closing

Goodbye Varsity! I've been on so many field trips and dates there (well, much less dates)

MAY YOUR SOUL REST PEACEFULLY NEXT TO...CINERAMA'S...<sobs uncontrollably for long time><composes>

Anyway, Magoo's shut down too...just temporarily but will reopen under diff. owner/name(?)
    Sing with me, everyone!
    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

I don't really go out to the movies anymore, but I find this intensly depressing. I spent so much time at the Varsity in high school and college, I should have been paying rent.
      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Honolulu's Varsity Theatre, which closed last year before being sold to Kamehameha Schools, will soon be just a memory. Workers on Monday began demolition of the 69-year-old freestanding theater. (PBN)
        Sob, sob, sob.

Comment

So let me guess, another 7-Eleven?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            So let me guess, another 7-Eleven?
            Nope...a parking lot...for a few years.

I wonder why they didn't keep leasing the building 'til they were ready to rebuild. Who knows, maybe the building needed too many repairs.

Comment

hi this is sansei and that's where i first saw my ET Movie and it'll be so sad to see this final theater from the past close.

well thank's for your time

Comment

I saw "Like Water for Chocolate" there three times. I wanted to roll in rose petals and ride away with a bandit naked on his horse after that. Those seats were squeaky!

Well, thank you for your time!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

It was heartbreaking to see the teardown on the news today. I'm glad I was able to catch the last picture show last June. I was intrigued to learn that the owner of the nearby "Varsity" bar had gotten the landowner to let him keep the top of the marquee, the neon "VARSITY" piece. I doubt he'll be able to get the needed exemptions to display it publicly (I doubt it'd keep its grandfathered status under the billboard law), but... at least a piece was saved.

Comment

Goodbye Varsity Theatre!

I've been passing by the old Varsity Theatre site on the way to work in the mornings, and I'm sad to see it torn down. I'm old enough to remember when going out to the movie theatres was a big deal, and when a big 'blockbuster' holiday movie meant lines of people out lining the sidewalk and circling round the block....

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Nope...a parking lot...for a few years.

I wonder why they didn't keep leasing the building 'til they were ready to rebuild. Who knows, maybe the building needed too many repairs.
                      an old building has too many liability issues and insurance costs.

A parking lot is a cash cow. Hmmm from an economic standpoint tearing it down was a no-brainer.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

yeah, a lot of good memories there. i think of all the movies seen there, the most memorable was prisilla, queen of the desert! and i remember the usher telling everyone to stay till the very last scene after the credits....
                        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                        X