Aloha from Ohio!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Ohio!

Well, I've been lurking for about a week now and I feel like I've already gotten to know some of you a bit, so I figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm an art student studying photography. I've lived all my life in Ohio but I've always had something of a relationship with Hawaii. My aunt has lived there since before I was born -- she married a local, and her two children, my cousins, are near my age, with children of their own. Growing up, I always looked forward to the yearly boxes of goodies my Hawaii relatives would send; clothing, stationary, food, etc. I was one of the first kids at my school to know about Sanrio (this was before Hello Kitty was popular) and I even had my own set of Hello Kitty chopsticks. I still have the muumuu they sent me when I was little, and I've developed an addiction to chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

I finally got a chance to fly out to Hawaii for the first time last month. I stayed with my family in Aiea for two weeks and it was absolutely amazing. The food, the weather, the people were all wonderful, and it really was heartbreaking to come home. Currently I'm making plans for an extended stay after I graduate next spring.

I've really enjoyed reading this board, it's definitely a fun, eclectic bunch. I look forward to being a part of it.
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Re: Aloha from Ohio!

Aloha and Welcome to HT!heheheh

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Did you take pictures?
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh yes tons! I'd gotten permission from my teacher to borrow the school's Nikon D-70 digital camera, so I was snapping away (although I did break the rule of not taking the camera to the beach -- I couldn't help myself!). I've got five pages of photos in my photobucket account, but here are some of my favorites:

At the Lantern Festival

At the Pali lookout

I have a tendency to be very critical of my own work, so while I took a good hundred photos per day while I was there, the majority of them never make it further than my hard drive.

Comment

Awesome pics!! I loved the ones of you learning how to surf!!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Whereabouts in Ohio? From another online board, I know of a couple folks (in Bedford/Cleveland area), one of whom plays some slack-key guitar - and they are both very interested in Hawaiian culture and music.

Then again, there's a song our Seattle `ukulele group plays, titled "Moon Over Parma," which mentions a lot of Ohio towns (Solon, East Lake, Lindale, Ashtabula - rhymes with "hula.")

Comment

Thank you Auntie Lynn! I loved surfing, it's something I definitely would like to try again, but I'm not very good at it at all, as you might have been able to tell..

Leo Lakio, I live in Cincinnati, which is quite a distance from Cleveland, although I've been up there a few times. I've never heard of the other cities you mentioned, but again, I'm only really familiar with the area near me. Oh wait, I have heard of Parma, but only in passing.

I'd bought my mother a 'ukulele as a present, and managed to do a little learning on it before I handed it over. While I was down there my uncle was continuously playing Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. Upon returning home I immediately checked out the only cd my library had (Alone in IZ World) and ripped it onto my computer, so whenever I'm missing Hawaii I'll listen to it. I can't see myself ever being really good at 'ukulele, but I'll probably buy one of my own next time I visit, just to play around with.

I'll be honest now and say that I'm new at speaking (or writing) Hawaiian so I'm bound to use or write things incorrectly -- please forgive my mistakes but feel free to correct me, I would appreciate it!

Comment

Welcome ~ love the photos. BTW how do you like photobucket?? Looking for a way to organize my photos...
                "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Thank you greentara. I've used photobucket for a few years now and it's pretty good. I don't think they have a limit on the amount of photos you can upload, I believe you can upload twenty at once, and the max size is 1024x768 or a 1 meg file. You can have unlimited folders and folders within folders, they've got limited editing tools (resize, rotate, etc) and their add title is easy enough to use. The only complain I have about photobucket is that the images are stored in the opposite order as you upload them -- so the first photo is at the very end, etc. I've learned to upload in backwards order if I'm trying to preserve the order.

Comment

Ohayo!

-Mike
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Aloha nui! Pehea 'oe? I surf too!
                      'Alika

Comment

Working...