This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputation?

Was going through the Member List option and there is a column for something called "Reputation". So far everyone has green squares. I take it that means you are okay? What are the possible values that goes into that column?
    Yes, keep it.
    43.33%
    No, remove it.
    56.67%

Re: Reputation?

Good question, Helen. It's one of the gadgets the forum software offers. Much like how other web communities self-moderate (Slashdot's "mod points" system, for example), reputations on this board are a way for you to give a thumbs up (or, hopefully never, a thumbs down) to your fellow HawaiiThreads.com members to tell the world, "This person is respected."

On every post, there's a little "scale" icon. Click it, and you can mark it as being particularly helpful (or not). Over time, a member who's recognized by others' as posting lots of informative or insightful things will get a higher reputation score (more green squares).

Also, the longer you've been a member, and the more posts you've made, the more weight your reputation input has.

Frankly the setup is a bit complicated, with rules governing the number of reputation points you can give other members and how often, for example. There are far too many separate levels, and I don't even know which ones add up to how many squares just yet. I wouldn't take it too seriously. If this ever becomes an enormous, thriving community, I'm sure we'd be able to look at these points as a way to separate the jokers from the thinkers. But for now, just think of it as another nifty gadget.

More useful, I think, is the ability to rate threads. So if a topic generates lots of good posts, and people rate it highly, you'll be able to see at a glance where the juciest, tastiest stuff is. Just as an example, I rated this thread you started four stars. If others rate it one way or the other, you'll get an average. Again, if my wildest dreams come true and this board is busting at the seams, it could be quite helpful.
    Last edited by admin; April 13, 2004, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I tried to add to the reputation of one post that "admin" made. It took it and then I tried to add to the reputation to another post that "admin" made and it said You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to admin again.

Comment

Yeah, that was one of the settings I mentioned above. You have to give reputation points (a.k.a. "props" or mod points) to I think ten separate people before you can give them to someone a second time. That keeps folks from pumping one person into reputation heaven in one lazy afternoon, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
          You have to give reputation points (a.k.a. "props" or mod points) to I think ten separate people before you can give them to someone a second time.
          Considering there is about 5 to 6 users who frequent these forums, this might take a while.

Comment

Just wondering. When you add to one's reputation, it also allows to add a comment to that person. How does that person receive the comment?

Comment

Considering there is about 5 to 6 users who frequent these forums, this might take a while.
              Yeah, well. Here's hoping we eventually have more than 5 to 6 users. The Honolulu Weekly ad is out today...

How does that person receive the comment?
              When you click on "User CP" (control panel), one of the things you'll see are the latest reputation points you've been given, along with any comments that went with them. (I guess you'll only see this if you have reputation points... I'd never seen the list until now.) I've given you some additional reputation points on your last post with a comment for you to see it in action.

Comment

And the Control Panel also list the number of Reputation Points. This is nice to know. Thanks!!!

Comment

I never bothered to click on the reputation icon (the balance scale) on posts that I did. Figured it would complain saying that you cann't change the reputation on your posts. Well today I did and it would show you the reputation status of that post (seen balanced and slightly postive), as well as your overall points and the comments if any to that post.

The comments and reputation are also anonymous (at least to me it is).

Comment

Well, Helen, I did cast a vote to add to your reputation but now I have to, as I understand it, vote for nine other people before I can vote again?

Comment

Right. Okay, y'all made me go back and actually read the instructions. If I understand what this system does, for HawaiiThreads.com, the current Reputation settings are as follows:

• You need to have made 10 posts before you can give Reputation ratings.
                      • At first, your Reputation ratings are worth one point each, either to increase or decrease another member's rating.
                      • For every 90 days you're a member, your Reputation ratings are worth an additional point.
                      • For every 100 posts, your Reputation ratings are worth an additional point.
                      • For ever 10 Reputation points you get from others, your Reputation ratings are worth an additional point.
                      • You have to give Reputation points to 10 people before you can give more points to someone again.
                      Clear as mud?

Comment

I guess the question in my mind is that when we first join up is our Reputation set to some value other than zero, because I find it hard to believe that I got 15 Reputation points. I know I got 3 Reputation entries (2 had green squares and 1 gray square, dates to them was around a week ago and I didn't see a new one yet which I assume Albert's didn't come through since he only made his 10th post today).

I haven't been on for 90 days nor have I posted 100 posts.

Comment

Well, it says you are "on a distinguished road", Helen. Not quite sure what that means, but I suppose it's better than Kuhio Avenue.

Comment

It also told me I had to spread some more reputation votes around before I can vote for you again, so that first vote must have taken.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                              I guess the question in my mind is that when we first join up is our Reputation set to some value other than zero, because I find it hard to believe that I got 15 Reputation points.
                              Very perceptive (or, well, good math)... you're right, new, validated members enter with 10 points to begin with.

I'm not sure what the different colored squares mean, or for that matter what 'on a distinguished road' means, unfortunately.

Let's see. Okay, there's a whole series: "is on a distinguished road," "will become famous soon enough," "has a spectacular aura about," "is a jewel in the rough," etc. There's only a few steps going the other way (down): "has a little shameless behaviour in the past," and "can only hope to improve."

The forum came prepopulated with a lot of odd things like that, and if anyone wants to submit an alternative series of escalating phrases that might indicate someone's rising or falling reputation, go right ahead!

Comment

Working...
                              X