This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

to those that are worried about a reputation...

I feel for you...

thats all

Sounds like small kine kids stuff... "who is most popular....etc..."

Comment

I said my peace about this subject in this very thread a long time ago.

I, like many others, learned that reputation in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean that much at all here at HT. You disagree, fine. You like get all huhu and hurl insults at me like Mel, fine. I can deal either way.

My brand of crap is my opinion, and screw you if you think you'll stop me from expressing it.

Originally posted by Menehune Man
      Yes he complained about what he didn't like about the system and you know what so did I! Why don't you just praise it's merits if you can find any instead of just spouting off your brand of crap, eh?

Comment

Cool. I don't want to stop you from expressing your opinion, but Ryan isn't the only person that deserves respect on these boards. And if you wish to be shown respect then act respectfully.
        Last edited by Menehune Man; February 9, 2006, 10:15 PM.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
          And if you wish to be shown respect then act respectfully.
          You just had to go and edit that in.

Same to you man. Like I said, if you like get all huhu and start hurling insults as Mel did, fine. It'll come right back at you.

Mel has long since shown he has no respect for me. So I show none when dealing with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
            You just had to go and edit that in
            Yes, yes I did...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
              What a crock of crap.A resepectful way to express an opinion?

Mel gets his panties in a bunch yet again,Respectful? and manages to get the wishes of a select few applied to everyone else.I don't agree

But it IS Ryan's decisionThat's right! , and we've got to respect that. Although it definitely says something about the way things are run around here.So respectful.
              Sheesh, I got worked up over how this post was written and took offense. I wish you all the best and hope to have better relations elsewhere on the boards Palolo Joe. I'm sorry. Menehune Man

Comment

I... think we threw the baby out with the bathwater.
                I may be wrong, but from my perspective, all or the vast majority of vehemence was directed toward the infamous red chicklet. NOT the rep system as a whole. Thus; why did the red chiklet not be excorsized only?
                and retain green and gray only?
                IF... one has a complaint re; someone's post, they can damn well tell the person. or shaddup. Only those two choices. Now: IF they liked the post, they green it.
                If they didn't like it too much or got a bad taste in their mouth from it, a grey mark. but IF.. they were pissed about it, they again, had the option to talk about it publicly, or NOT... AT... ALL..

See, the "no mark" is the new red mark.
                kay?

this format prevents the sniper from taking potshots and running away.
                Sometimes physical parameters must be put up to help the lil kids in the autopia from bangin into trees or other people in other lanes, no matter how much or if or when they wanna.

have a few beers and contemplate the simile.
                Last edited by kimo55; February 10, 2006, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  I... think we threw the baby out with the bathwater.
                  I may be wrong, but from my perspective, all or the vast majority of vehemence was directed toward the infamous red chicklet. NOT the rep system as a whole. Thus; why did the red chiklet not be excorsized only?
                  and retain green and gray only?
                  I have to admit, I never even considered this possibility until you brought it up. Then again, I am a relative newbie to this forum. That’s what I like about Helen. She was truly interested in determining what was good and bad about the reputation system. I think the majority here were more upset at the way the system worked then the fact that it was there. Who’s to say that it can’t come back in a new and improved format? Your suggestion gets my vote. Poll, anyone?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    Is it possible this topic will pass 16,000 views by tonight?
                    Dang! It did go OVA 16,000!!!!

Auntie Lynn

Happy Aloha Friday Everyone!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      Why can't admin do something about satisfying the users of this board who are very unhappy with the system. We already have people fleeing the board because of the reputation system and talking about it on another board. It is a big deal because now outside of this board, the notoriety of the board, some of the people inhabiting this board is now a discussion topic:
                      (link removed)
                      One of the posts there got so nasty about the people on this board that the admin there had to remove it.
                      The notorious reputation about this board's reputation system is spreading.
                      Okay, I've been holding my tongue, or biting my tongue, or whatever, for the last couple of days... but no more.
                      Personally, I liked the reputation system and thought it was amusing to watch. The vote was 35 people (57%) to remove it versus 26 people (43%) who wanted to keep it. As I said before, that is far from being an overwhelming majority. I'm disappointed that the ranting and raving of just one or two people caused Ryan to finally cave in.
                      Mel, you're one of the moderators here, and as such your complaints should have gone to Ryan privately. Making such a huhu publicly did not shed a good light on yourself or on anyone else. I also feel that you showed quite a bit of disloyalty to the person who allowed you to bring your Media board here. And I've pointed out previously as well that I couldn't understand your extreme anger at the reputation system, because even with a few red chiclets you still had one of the best reputations of anyone. And you've caused a verbal riot here in this thread. I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that the message count here on HT seemed to have dropped noticeably after all this huhu, most probably due to the fear of retaliation that you instilled in people.
                      And beyond that -- and perhaps worst of all -- you and a couple of others had the gall to set up a competing board almost identical to this one and even used this board to solicit members to that one!!! I find that also incredibly disloyal, immature, and tacky.
                      I personally have time for just one board, and it will remain this one. I see no reason to participate in two boards and to have to read the same things from the same people twice and repeat replies twice. I'll miss the postings of some of those folks over there, but such is life.
                      Your endless whining in this thread has caused too much dissension, disruption and discord in the ranks. And all because of silly little meaningless chiclets. SHEESH.

I hope Ryan locks this thread up, and even better I hope he archives it somewhere out of sight.

There. I feel better now.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Likanui, I asked ZZtype how to set up a BBS Forum as I was interested. It was in no way anything to deter members away from HT. Infact, It was only made within less than 10 minutes when I started to invite others from my own personal address book and yes, from this Forum.

I thought it would be another good fun place to express one's opinion. I still do. At Wala'au we have other things in which we can enhance our posts. We also feature pictures of Local Grinds, Resturants, favorite places, things, etc.

There is a vast difference. However, I still post and still love HT. I have been a part of this online Ohana and I will continue to be in it.

Mel and ZZtype is not to blame. The blame is on me.

Sincerely,

Lynn

btw: The only one guilty so far of double posting is me. Not in the exact words, of course...still the same. I'll stop that.
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; February 10, 2006, 02:56 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

For the record, no specific recent post prompted the removal of the "Reputation" system. Just several futile weeks of hoping the debate would end, looking at some of the middling options (sadly, I didn't see a "positive only" implementation), and deciding it wasn't worth the bad juju... which unfortunately (if somewhat unsurprisingly) seems to have continued despite the change.

And secondly, as far as I'm concerned, there's no ill will (from HawaiiThreads itself) at all toward Wala'au, the message board zztype and 1stwahine built. (And to clarify, I'm fairly certain Mel is a member, not an organizer.) Zztype courteously told me about it early on, I was invited to check it out, and I know many of our regulars were invited over as well.

In this "Reputation" debate in particular, and elsewhere, it's been said many times that HawaiiThreads is HawaiiThreads, for better or worse, and if you don't like it, try another message board or start your own. Well, they did. And more power to them.

There should never be "one forum to rule them all," and I'm glad there are so many options, with different strengths and personalities. From HawaiiThreads to Ohana Lanai to Hawaii.com to the Advertiser forums to Wala'au and who knows how many others... they've all got something to offer, and I'd rather people go where they feel most comfortable then feel bad trying to fit in someplace else.

That said, I do try to make HawaiiThreads a broadly welcoming place, albeit one that sometimes has more than it's share of... color. Since the start of the new year, I've felt as if we started off on the wrong foot to some extent, with higher than average snark levels and the presumption of a "gauntlet" to haze newbies. Given that, to see alternative venues pop up makes perfect sense. It also made me think I could do at least one thing to cool things down here, just a little. So I did.

And with that, and with the Reputation system but a memory, this thread is most assuredly closed.

Comment

Quote is the "Reputation" part of HT ever going to be brought back?

I just noticed that it's still listed in the FAQ's

* What is Reputation?
                            * How do I give Reputation points?
                            * On what basis should I give Reputation points?
                            * How do I find out my Reputation score?
                            * How many Reputation points can I give?
                            * I don't agree with a Reputation score I received. What do I do?

Comment

• Re: Reputation

In case you or anyone else who is new to HawaiiThreads is interested about the Reputation system you can read through this thread that spanned 566 replies across 22 months.

But the bottom line the Reputation system is a tool that has a lot of rules, lot of misunderstanding to what it can and can not do, and was pain to deal with since one didn't know how much weight a single reputation award was worth (you only knew that total amount that you had).

The best anaolgy I can come with is that the Reputation system is that it's like a pair of scissors inside a bag. It can be useful if one needs to cut things if you can feel what you are cutting but running with scissors can be very bad thing if you are not careful with it.

Comment

• Re: Reputation

sadly, some people don’t know when to give up.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X