X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: nuff arready of

Originally posted by MadAzza
    You got a red mark on your post for *that*?? For voicing an opinion about a movie actor?
    I must be missing something, but unless Kimo told you that he recieved a negative reputation for that post, there is no way for you or anyone else (other than maybe the admin) to know which post of his got him that negative (or postive) reputation mark. However the square that is displayed on the post itself is the poster's overall current reputation.

I think those reputation marks are for wimps. It's like leaving an anonymous note on someone's windshield. "I don't have to guts to say this to your face, so I'll leave this note, then run away and hide."
    From what I understand about the reputation system is what meant to award posters for posting accurate information, not their opionon on matters.

Comment

Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by pzarquon
      I have no idea if {x} is as friendly in real life as he is online, or if {y} really is as mean-spirited or judgemental. Knowing the Internet, of course, we can presume that any character quirk is probably exagerrated online,

As we get to know each other, things mellow out. The rash judgements are well, too rash sometimes.
      When a newbie logs on and someone sez;
      No come ovah heah brah. too much peepz arready.
      then we go back and forth and may find da bruddah is real akamai, and sensitive and open to learning, we back off.
      no need huhu. it all works out. as someone ponted out, those that may come here, may not find it to their liking. those that end up here and prove to be cool and maybe an assett to the workforce, we find that out. and it may take a few paragraphs of posts to see beind the persona (Latin/Greek for mask)

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        But, as with any online community, most of what we'll ever know is what's posted online, and we choose both how we present ourselves, and how we interpret others' characters, in that context.

I have no idea if {x} is as friendly in real life as he is online, or if {y} really is as mean-spirited or judgemental. Knowing the Internet, of course, we can presume that any character quirk is probably exagerrated online, and that what we read on the web is probably nowhere near what we'd get face-to-face. But at HawaiiThreads.com, what's posted is all we've got (especially if you can't or won't join us at our in-real-life gatherings!). For better or worse.

It is, but (1.) a message board, chat room, or website is not a democracy, no matter how much its operators' might want it to be, and (2.) I think we all generally know to criticize opinions rather than people (it's in this site's guidelines, as it is in most). So much so that other users start taking on the role of moderators! But, we are just people, and people have personalities, and since we certainly can't strip our personalities from what we post, we have to allow for the fact that people are going to react to them, positively or negatively.
        Except there has to be more than one solution. Imagine a community where a user is on everyone else's "Ignore" list. I think that community would have to take a look at that and ask why... also keeping in mind what new users, who've never heard of the "Ignore" feature, might think of the community as a whole (since they don't have the historical context everyone else has).

I think the Reputation system is a relatively useful and time-tested way of adding depth and context to an online community. But, like everything else, you can choose to ignore it. A good reputation, really, doesn't give you any reward more tangible than a green dot, and a bad reputation doesn't stop you from posting. Yet!

Good lord, of coursethere are more important things "on this big blue marble." Let's have a bit of perspective here, okay? We should definitely get more worked up about starving children and pollution and miracles and great accomplishments. But right here, right now, we're talking about this site, this community, and what goes on within is a perfectly reasonable topic of conversation.

I admit it, I care a lot about what we do/don't say on these threads. I care about the people who post here (including you, Miulang), and I care about how we treat each other online, and how we treat newcomers. Is that so wrong?
        As Scriv says, he comes here to learn things. So do I. So, I bet, do the majority of people. I just get irritated when people make offhand remarks about other people and not about what they're posting. Believe me, I can handle myself in any flame war, but what's the point? Perhaps sometimes the words come out wrong, but the intentions of most people on this board are honorable. I care about many of the people who post here, too.

I think you guys should get more worked up about protecting the land you call your home. I want to be able to move back there in a few years, and I'd like to have something to move back to.

My heart goes out to all of you who are working 2 or 3 jobs because you have to, to those of you who are squished into small apartments with exorbitant rents because that's all you can afford or find. Believe me, if I was in Hawai'i right now, I wouldn't just be writing on Hawai'i Threads. I'd be sitting in on City Council meetings, I'd be doing something more than passively saying "nothing can be done to change things."

I had an epiphany last night as I was driving home. I now have a sizeable collection of Hawaiian CDs, and I realized that most of the songs on those CDs(meaning sung in the Hawaiian language) had some reference to the 'aina (either the 'aina or a reference to a particular place in the 'aina). I don't know if any of you have ever noticed that. That tells me that even though you don't know it consciously, you are tied to the land. You should be taking care of your little part of your 'aina, so that 7 generations in the future, those people can still have the songs that talk about places they still can see. Yes, I am an expatriate of Hawai'i, and my heart is still in the 'aina.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by admin
          Reputation moves very slowly (in part by design, and in part because of only sporadic use)
          It's mostly because of sporadic use, aside from myself, scrivener is the only one who admitted that gives reputation from time to time. And with the exception of three users (kimo55 is not one of them) I have being given positive reputation for the past year.

Comment

Two things:

First, if you look at the member list and sort by reputation, you'll see that the number of green squares doesn't seem to correspond to the reputation score. I got my second green square when I hit 100, but there are people with two squares who don't have 100 yet. There's got to be another factor.

Second, I like giving reputation, whether it's meaningful or not. When someone writes something especially clear and well-worded or clever, I go right for that scale icon. When someone finds the external link that answers the question that's being debated, I hit that scale, too. If someone makes me laugh out loud, I go for the scale. Maybe it's the teacher in me, but I think that especially good contributions should be recognized in some way, so I appreciate the avenue for doing so. I only regret that many of the posts I think are notable don't get recognized because of the restriction on spreading the wealth, but I'm not saying it's not a good restriction!
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              Two things:

First, if you look at the member list and sort by reputation, you'll see that the number of green squares doesn't seem to correspond to the reputation score. I got my second green square when I hit 100, but there are people with two squares who don't have 100 yet. There's got to be another factor.
              Because the reputation text level is at 50, 150, 250, 350, 450, 550, and 650, you won't see the change in text level when a new square is awarded at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 reputation points. So the people who have two squares and the text still says "decent reputation (50)" have a score between 100 to 149.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

When a newbie logs on and someone sez;
                No come ovah heah brah. too much peepz arready.
                then we go back and forth and may find da bruddah is real akamai, and sensitive and open to learning, we back off.
                In odda words, you run da newbies chru da gauntlet first.

Comment

I've been watching this thread from the sidelines. All comments well deserved to be thought about. We are Ohana. No ands, ifs, or buts! We may have our squabbles, disagreements and sometimes throw blows online...still we remain an Ohana that is very different from the many Forums that one can venture to. I have learned many things from hawaiithreads.com. In real life, my reputation is cruel and Bitchy. Here, I smiled when I see the words "decent," as my reputation. It is from hawaiithreads.com that I have learned to get along with others and to put mistakes to rest. Although Kimo had a red reputation square, he does bring a flare to the forum. Plus, he is intellegent for his own good. Yes, the ignore tool works wonders but I'm the first to admit that I do use it off and on depending who I disagree with at that time.

This past Saturday I met Shaveice to listen to Jdub at O'tooles. It is always great to meet members in person. To see who is behind that name on screen. I had a fun time with Shavevice. A gent, with a calming voice and proud father of seventeen month old Relm. I'm all for having periodically get-togethers so that we can meet each other.

We can say many things online. We can make ourselves seem harsh, kind or a bit on the extreme...please know that I honestly love each and everyone of you. Life is to short to be wasted on trivial things.

Auntie Lynn

PS. Ok, now click my scale so I get points! nah, joke!!!!!
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; July 25, 2005, 01:43 PM.
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: nuff arready of

Originally posted by helen
                    I must be missing something, but unless Kimo told you that he recieved a negative reputation for that post, there is no way for you or anyone else (other than maybe the admin) to know which post of his got him that negative (or postive) reputation mark. However the square that is displayed on the post itself is the poster's overall current reputation.

Oh! Well, then.

(Emily Litella)
                    Never mind.
                    (/Emily Litella)

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      I've been watching this thread from the sidelines. All comments well deserved to be thought about. We are Ohana. No ands, ifs, or buts! We may have our squabbles, disagreements and sometimes throw blows online...still we remain an Ohana that is very different from the many Forums that one can venture to. I have learned many things from hawaiithreads.com. In real life, my reputation is cruel and Bitchy. Here, I smiled when I see the words "decent," as my reputation. It is from hawaiithreads.com that I have learned to get along with others and to put mistakes to rest. Although Kimo had a red reputation square, he does bring a flare to the forum. Plus, he is intellegent for his own good. Yes, the ignore tool works wonders but I'm the first to admit that I do use it off and on depending who I disagree with at that time.

This past Saturday I met Shaveice to listen to Jdub at O'tooles. It is always great to meet members in person. To see who is behind that name on screen. I had a fun time with Shavevice. A gent, with a calming voice and proud father of seventeen month old Relm. I'm all for having periodically get-togethers so that we can meet each other.

We can say many things online. We can make ourselves seem harsh, kind or a bit on the extreme...please know that I honestly love each and everyone of you. Life is to short to be wasted on trivial things.

Auntie Lynn

PS. Ok, now click my scale so I get points! nah, joke!!!!!
                      i did click da scale fo u auntie but nuttin wen happen!! wat stay broke??!! still get only one green square...
                      Reggie aka pinakboy
                      Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                      Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                      Recipe Tube TV!
                      Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy

i did click da scale fo u auntie but nuttin wen happen!! wat stay broke??!! still get only one green square...

Comment

It should have given you another window that either says:
                          1. How you want to rate this post
                          2. you can't give reputation twice to the same post
                          3. You must spread your reputation around before giving it 1stwahine again
                          4. you can't give more reputation today

Comment

It should have given you another window that either says:
                            1. How you want to rate this post
                            2. you can't give reputation twice to the same post
                            3. You must spread your reputation around before giving it 1stwahine again
                            4. you can't give more reputation today
                            I think he meant he was expecting it to turn red.

Comment

The main reason is that pinakboy's ability to give reputation is at 2 points. This is because his base score is 1 plus 1 for making over 100 post (currently at 125 posts). Since 1stwahine is at 50 or more (at the most 99 points due to one only green square) points, those 2 points he gave her either plus or minus didn't effect her overall score that much.
                              Last edited by helen; July 26, 2005, 01:23 AM. Reason: changing post to most

Comment

The main reason is that pinakboy's ability to give reputation is at 2 points. This is because his base score is 1 plus 1 for making over 100 post (currently at 125 posts). Since 1stwahine is at 50 or more (at the post 99 points due to one only green square) points, those 2 points he gave her either plus or minus didn't effect her overall score that much.
                                eesh! So complicated! Why can't we buy reputations, just like they do in politics?

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X