This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reputation?

Aye soos, maria osep! Too much PILIKIA...just put up annada green thingy! Nah, Helen just wanted to make everybody SMILE! Your explanation is great. Thanks.

Eh, thanks Pinakboy. I visited your site this morning, great recipes!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

First of all I never made up the rules, but it is spelled out in the FAQ. For you Miulang when you give reputation that value today stands at 28 points. The breakdown goes like this for you:
      1 - base score
      24 - for posting over 2400 posts
      3 - for the number of 90 day periods you have been around. Next month you earn another point on that basis since you joined in August 2004. Of course by that time you may have posted more stuff to make over 2500 posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Why can't we buy reputations, just like they do in politics?
        And how were you planning to pay, by promising to FEDEX home-made manapuas again?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
          And how were you planning to pay, by promising to FEDEX home-made manapuas again?
          Eh Bruddah, wit you, da manapua and some gien doi thrown in foa good measure! Actually, if you really nice to me, maybe I bring some wit me to LV for da Ho'olaulea! You staying at da California, or wat? I staying da Strat...I can have da manapua chauffeured to your room, if you like. Or betta yet, I go to da top of da Strat and use dat boingy boingy ride and shoot 'em ova to your hotel...air mail! hahahaha.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; July 25, 2005, 02:38 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            I only regret that many of the posts I think are notable don't get recognized because of the restriction on spreading the wealth, but I'm not saying it's not a good restriction!
            To get around that restriction is to give reputation to others and then later on after giving it to 9 other users you can give reputation to that person again. You don't have to give reputation right then and there, you can always do it later (assuming you remember to do it).

Comment

I like the idea of giving good reputations anonymously. It's doing something nice for someone, and they never know it's you, and that's cool. I just don't like the idea of people giving other people bad marks anonymously. Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                First of all I never made up the rules, but it is spelled out in the FAQ. The breakdown goes like this for you:
                1 - base score
                24 - for posting over 2400 posts
                3 - for the number of 90 day periods you have been around.
                Wow, so being a post wh*** does have it's benefits. At least in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                  Wow, so being a post wh*** does have it's benefits. At least in this situation.
                  And what exactly is your point? How many times have you posted something where you actually contributed information people could use and not just made snide comments?

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; July 27, 2005, 06:32 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just so that we are clear here. The length of time of being a member here in HawaiiThreads and the amount of posts you do here does not influence your personal Reputation score which by the way can be shown in the User Control Panel. What the length of time and the amount of post you do influences the value of the Reputation you give to others.

Comment

I'm sorry (not really) but this whole thread (and the volume of posts it's generating) just makes me laugh. I mean, who cares all that much about their online "reputation"? Everyone uses a screen name, not their real name, so what does it matter? Yes, if someone is a raging flamer it's good for the newbies to realize that that person doesn't represent the rest of us, but then newbies don't know what those red and green squares mean anyway (unless they stumble across this thread).
                      In the department store of life your screen name "reputation" is in the toy section.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I don't get why everyone is ragging on this thread because it's not important in the grand scheme of things. Of course it's not. It's just one of the elements of interacting in this community, and its nothing new in online communities in general. I wouldn't say it's important, but it falls somewhere between weird fun and helpful.

Reputation scores might have no impact on our "real lives," but this isn't our "real lives," anyway. (Hey, if there was a way to make a living existing entirely on a message board, I'd be the first to sign up.)

I'd also say it's not unimportant, overall. Community reputation scores are a big deal in things like Ebay, or any site where credibility and established respect plays a large part in how one approaches or deals with another member. I hope it is useful to newcomers, when they post the inevitable "I want to move to Hawaii" thread for example, that some of the most unpleasant responses come from people who clearly don't represent the overall spirit we've built here.

Comment

So if an Ali`i tends to beach slap the odd knucklehead they deserve a bad reputation? Better a cyber-pounding than an actual one.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            I don't get why everyone is ragging on this thread
                            because it's such a strange oblique quirky grading thing and many are still trying to understand it. I still don't know what the slightly different shaded tiny round cornered squares represent.
                            It is explained to me, but thankfully people keeep adding to this thread and i think I am comprehending it slowly but surely., At least i am being entertained in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Let's see... a chest-thumping post where you call someone a cholo, and another where you attribute Jodi Leong's stage presence to gastrointestinal distress. I fail to see the problem.

Mind you, the latter might for others' simply be a playful, joking post. But within the context of your overall behavior on the board, I can see how someone might easily take it as malicious.
                              I don't want to hash this out. My wrists were slapped in a way by my responding post (on that thread) but I just wanted to say, thanks for pointing that link out. You are one of the few people here that has a lot of sense, is credible and well-spoken. Maybe some people are unfamiliar with the term or use it loosely. And that's why it kind of riled me. Here's a decent and apparently successful poster asking a decent question and he gets a flippant response. Maybe I just over-reacted. But you have to speak of what you know first-hand. Maybe he does. I don't know. But for my part, I lived in So. Cal for 15 years around in the cities that had large Hispanic populations...Carson, Gardena, Lawndale, Hawthorne. It doesn't get more gang-related than that! I worked at a site for the phone company in East L.A. Montebello, man, right on Whittier Blvd. We'd come into work on Monday after the weekend, and our building's parking lot would be full of empty beer bottles they'd toss there because they'd sit on the stone wall fronting our building, watching the infamous low-riding cruise down Whittier on Saturday nites. Does he know what a "cholo" really is or the connotation? I know first-hand...unfortunately, my younger sister in LA gang-banged with the Hispanic low-riders, the jumping in, the clothing, the tattoos, everything the "cholos" personify. And also, she was fatally shot in the back of the head in a drive-by shooting by a rival gang. Those are "cholos" and their culture! Enough said. Just be aware of what you say or call people. And I don't think I'm being over-sensitive on this one. Maybe the original poster didn't take offense but I did and also the cheap "Charlie Chan" imitation. Great. I'll probably be taken to task again for "hurling an insult" which is why I was going to take a respite from this forum. Oh, well. *Peace sign* Off the bandwagon...and utilizing my "Ignore" button from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by btwnc2c
                                You are one of the few people here that has a lot of sense, is credible and well-spoken.
                                Forgive me for going slightly off-topic here, but while you're more correct than you could know about Pzarquon being all of these things (well, depending on how you define "sense!"), I don't think it's fair (or very nice) to say he's "one of the few people here" to have these qualities. If you honestly feel this way, I don't think you've read enough of what's been written here in the last fifteen months, and I'd encourage you to continue to poke around. I suppose this is why the weight of reputation points awarded is greater for people who've been here longer; the implied experience SHOULD carry more weight.

I understand the intended spirit of your post, but don't you think that casually labeling the vast majority of the people in this community un-sensible, incredible, and not-well-spoken is perhaps as not well-considered as casually tossing out a word like "cholo?"
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X