This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reputation?

Why are we quibbling anyway? You were exactly one of the ones that I thought of that's eloquent and knowledgeable in your posts. Apparently I'm remiss if I didn't give kuddo's to all in that vein? You assumed I meant that everybody else was this or that. Never mind. I didn't realize I had to acknowledge everyone. I just wanted to at least acknowledge one. Well, can't win 'em all. I'm spending too much time and energy either on the offense and defense here. Adieu...good luck to you all hashing it all out....whew.

Comment

hype ur SEN suh tive!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        I had an epiphany last night as I was driving home. I now have a sizeable collection of Hawaiian CDs, and I realized that most of the songs on those CDs(meaning sung in the Hawaiian language) had some reference to the 'aina (either the 'aina or a reference to a particular place in the 'aina). I don't know if any of you have ever noticed that. ... Yes, I am an expatriate of Hawai'i, and my heart is still in the 'aina.

Miulang
        Great post... I was showing some kids and their parents how to make candy lei one day recently, and telling them about the whole concept of lei-giving. I brought along some of my gazillion Hawaiian CDs (traditional Hawaiian music), and tried to show the difference between the Hawaiian music, which talks about the ‘āina, the flora and fauna, the love for all of them; the connection to the land, to the people, to the kupuna and to traditions. I compared it to most mainland music which glorifies love, sex, violence, (I hear it at the gym all the time!), aggression, one-upmanship, and "I'll get you before you get me". There is music about spiritual things, and it's wonderful stuff; but as far as the connection to the land and traditions, etc, there is nothing. The kids and the adults, while good listeners, could not relate to what I was saying. It was as if I were speaking a foreign language which, is reality, I was, I guess. I was speaking English, but I might as well have been speaking Hawaiian. I have never heard a song about the glories of Mount Hood, or the Columbia River Gorge, Mount St Helens or the fir trees, sunsets and waterfalls, all of which are spectacular.

I find that it's very difficult for mainlanders to understand the connection, that we, as kama‘āina have for the land of our birth. I find this (so far) to be exclusive to the people of Hawai‘i among the people that I have met over here. I'm not saying it doesn't exist elsewhere; I'm saying I haven't met any people but those from home who understand what I'm talking about.
        Aloha,
        Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
          I have never heard a song about the glories of Mount Hood, or the Columbia River Gorge, Mount St Helens or the fir trees, sunsets and waterfalls, all of which are spectacular.

I find that it's very difficult for mainlanders to understand the connection, that we, as kama‘āina have for the land of our birth. I find this (so far) to be exclusive to the people of Hawai‘i among the people that I have met over here. I'm not saying it doesn't exist elsewhere; I'm saying I haven't met any people but those from home who understand what I'm talking about.
          Have you listened to much country music? I don't care for it much, but some of those guys have just as much love for the rolling hills of Appalachia, or that blue Kentucky grass, as any Hawaiian singer does for the rainbows above Wai'ale'ale or the misty rains of Mānoa.

Comment

It's kinda odd to see how some seemed to go from green to red and vice versa overnight. What's to stop people from bombing someone's rep points just because they don't like the person?

I think the idea is pretty cool but how accurate it is, I'm not sure. It wasn't a big deal for me until *gasp!* I got one bad rep point for something I thought was kinda dumb lol. Is there an appeal process that we can go through? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Have you listened to much country music? I don't care for it much, but some of those guys have just as much love for the rolling hills of Appalachia, or that blue Kentucky grass, as any Hawaiian singer does for the rainbows above Wai'ale'ale or the misty rains of Mānoa.
              I have listened to some of it, not a lot... and you make a good point. Do you think it's as prevalent in country music as it is in Hawaiian music?

Love your reference to Mānoa Valley... it's where I was raised.
              Aloha,
              Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne

I think the idea is pretty cool but how accurate it is, I'm not sure. It wasn't a big deal for me until *gasp!* I got one bad rep point for something I thought was kinda dumb lol. Is there an appeal process that we can go through? haha
                It reminds me of da olden days system of using merits and demerits or pasting da different color-rated (bad to good) stars next to your name up on da classroom bulletin board. You can appeal all you like but da ansah going always be NO...unless you get really good at shining da teacha's shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  It reminds me of da olden days system of using merits and demerits or pasting da different color-rated (bad to good) stars next to your name up on da classroom bulletin board. You can appeal all you like but da ansah going always be NO...unless you get really good at shining da teacha's shoes.
                  So u going tell us how many an wat color stars u wen get? Oa u wen shine da teacha's shoes?
                  Aloha,
                  Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana

So u going tell us how many an wat color stars u wen get? Oa u wen shine da teacha's shoes?
                    I was too busy writing 1000 times on da blackboard someting I no can remembah right now.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      I was too busy writing 1000 times on da blackboard someting I no can remembah right now.
                      Oh, I bet I know wat was...

I will nevah call da teacha one stupidhead again.

As why hahd, brah, as why hahd.
                      Aloha,
                      Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        And what exactly is your point? How many times have you posted something where you actually contributed information people could use and not just made snide comments?
                        Go search for some of my previous posts. My point was (and still is) pretty clear: In terms of doling out reputation, being a post wh*** does have it's benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          Go search for some of my previous posts. My point was (and still is) pretty clear: In terms of doling out reputation, being a post wh*** does have it's benefits.
                          And you're a nimrod who wears tight shoes. LOBNAH
                          Last edited by Miulang; July 27, 2005, 01:30 PM.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Now that's a post that deserves some negative repuation... too bad I already gave you some today...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                              Now that's a post that deserves some negative repuation... too bad I already gave you some today...
                              Now I know it's only you who's been cowardly enough with the negative crap. I will consider the source of the negatives now and laugh myself silly. bahahaha!
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ahahahahaha... the pot calling the kettle black again...

Comment

Working...
                                X