This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reputation?

Does the reputation really matter? I want to be super red - like four or five squares. Can you guys blow me up? I want to look like a bad guy.

Mahalo - heh hee

Comment

I am going to gently remind that for the purpose of this thread we should be discussing the Reputation feature of the Vbulletin software (which is what HawaiiThreads is using). Granted there are more important things in life than this feature and if wish to discuss those things then create those threads in other forums of HawaiiThreads where they do belong, but for here, let's stick to the topic at hand which is the Reputation feature.

For the Miulang vs Palolo Joe disagreement, I have this to say. Palolo Joe since your current reputation score is below 10, I am surprised the Vbulletin software didn't say anything to you about not being able to contribute to someone's reputation. So this means Miulang should have check the User CP, look at the score and to see if their are any entries with gray squares, that would have been from Palolo Joe. If you are getting any red square entries it's from someone else other than Palolo Joe.
      Originally posted by cezanne
      It's kinda odd to see how some seemed to go from green to red and vice versa overnight. What's to stop people from bombing someone's rep points just because they don't like the person?
      The system is designed to prevent one person in the short term from rapidly changing the reputation scores for the entire userbase. At the most one person can change 10 different people in a 24 hour period. There is no safeguard that I am aware of in which a group of people are trying to gang up on a person to give that person either a good or bad reputation score.

As far as the oddness of someone going from green to red back to green in a short while, well between the top 10 posters on HawaiiThreads can give reputation anywhere from 10 to 28 points at one time.
      Originally posted by cezanne
      I think the idea is pretty cool but how accurate it is, I'm not sure. It wasn't a big deal for me until *gasp!* I got one bad rep point for something I thought was kinda dumb lol. Is there an appeal process that we can go through? haha
      Well one suggestion is post more good stuff as opposed to posting bad stuff and hopefully people will see this and give you good reputation for it.
      Originally posted by scrivener
      First, if you look at the member list and sort by reputation, you'll see that the number of green squares doesn't seem to correspond to the reputation score. I got my second green square when I hit 100, but there are people with two squares who don't have 100 yet. There's got to be another factor.
      You got three green squares now. I take it your score is now over 200 but under 250?
      Originally posted by MadAzza
      I like the idea of giving good reputations anonymously. It's doing something nice for someone, and they never know it's you, and that's cool. I just don't like the idea of people giving other people bad marks anonymously. Just my .02.
      There is a comment field so if you want to identify yourself in the reputation you could do so. Also you don't have to give bad reputations you can choose not to give a post your reputation mark on it.
      Originally posted by lurkah
      It reminds me of da olden days system of using merits and demerits or pasting da different color-rated (bad to good) stars next to your name up on da classroom bulletin board. You can appeal all you like but da ansah going always be NO...unless you get really good at shining da teacha's shoes.
      I guess the Reputation is more or less a merits/demerits system but it's not the teacher who is given them out but rather your classmates (or in this case your peers) that is giving those merits/demerits.

Comment

What could have been one post turns into five.

I'm starting to get the hang of padding my post count. Gotta make it so my reputation votes mean more... lots of haters on these boards.

Comment

Palolo Joe, stop being an ass.

Helen is a moderator. Post count and reputation is irrelevant. And if you haven't noticed, multiple posts are frequently combined later, anyway.

I think the reputation system is working perfectly. Kimo was modded down over a long period of time, but was redeemed fairly quickly. Meanwhile, to date, no one has been marked for unhelpful contributions more than you, which is particularly ironic considering how often you assume the role of message board cop.

It's also a shame, as you have a lot to contribute when you're not snarking at other users.

Comment

Re: Stolen cars

"Louie, I think this is the beginning
            of a beautiful friendship."

I posted that hoping that maybe some light humor might help to diffuse the situation a little more and perhaps create an opportunity for ho'oponopono -- and instead end up getting sniped with a bum "Rep" from somebody. Whoever did that, could you please stop? Bumbye you going make me cry.

Comment

Re: Stolen cars

I posted that hoping that maybe some light humor might help to diffuse the situation a little more and perhaps create an opportunity for hoopono -- and instead end up getting sniped with a bum "Rep" from somebody.
              Aw, that's too bad. You can protest a bad rep, I think.

Comment

The post below came from this thread.

I posted that hoping that maybe some light humor might help to diffuse the situation a little more and perhaps create an opportunity for ho'oponopono -- and instead end up getting sniped with a bum "Rep" from somebody. Whoever did that, could you please stop? Bumbye you going make me cry.
                For each post that you do, each user can give you a reputation only once, be it good or bad, so there is no point in making a plea to that someone who gave you a red square to stop, because they can no longer give you more reputations for that post. Also that same some one can not give you a reputation on some other post that you made for at least other 24 hours.

As a suggestion you should be aware of your reputation score that is listed in the User CP and notice the changes in it, if your score went down by one or two points I won't worry that much and just move on.

I wasn't the one who gave you the bad reputation but if I had to make a guess as to why you got it, even through your attentions was to diffuse a situtation between 2 people who was hurling insults at one another, both them and you were posting off-topic stuff in a thread that was taking about stolen cars. Again this is a guest on my part.
                Last edited by helen; July 28, 2005, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I'm on another board.. there is an option to steal $$ from other posters. If you do and fail, then your reputation points will go way down into the negative!

Comment

Originally posted by helen

As a suggestion you should be aware of your reputation score that is listed in the User CP and notice the changes in it, if your score went down by one or two points I won't worry that much and just move on.
                    Okay, so for example, say that my point score is currently 50. Does this mean that my reputation indicator stays green until my points dip below zero, and that other users can only affect my score +1 or -1 within a 24-hour period?
                    Last edited by lurkah; July 29, 2005, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• Re: Reputation?

Okay, so for example, say that my point score is currently 50. Does this mean that my reputation indicator stays green until my points dip below zero,
                      Yes. Also you will notice the number of green (or red) squares is different for each user. The number of squares is a quick rank on who has earned their reputation from other users of HawaiiThreads.

and that other users can only affect my score +1 or -1 within a 24-hour period?
                      No.

A user can only give their reputation power to a post once and that's it. The next time that user can give you their reputation power on some other post that you have written is 24 hours later and have given 10 other users their reputation power. A user's reputation power initially starts at 1 power point and will increase in the number of post they have written and the length of time they have been on HawaiiThreads. For every 100 posts they have written 1 gets added to the their reputation power point. For every 90 days being on HawaiiThreads another 1 gets added to their reputation power point.

To have a better feel for the reputation power point the 20 people who have participated in this thread so far, which seems to be a good range of values is listed below.

I am going to list their reputation power point and the number of colored squares that they have. The reputation power point level will take the form of the base plus the 100 post bonus plus the number of 90 days bonus and the actual total.

helen - 1+11+5 = 17 (1 green)
                      admin - 4 (1 green) - see note #1
                      pzarquon - 1+21+5 = 26 (2 green)
                      Albert - 1+6+5 = 12 (2 green)
                      MadAzza - 1+1+3 = 5 (1 green)
                      kimo55 - 1+23+3 = 27 (1 green)
                      cezanne - 1+2+3 = 6 (2 green)
                      Glen Miyashiro - 1+10+5 = 16 (2 green)
                      Miulang - 1+25+3 = 29 (1 green)
                      scrivener - 1+5+5 = 11 (3 green)
                      lurkah - 1+1+4 = 6 (1 green)
                      1stwahine - 1+12+2 = 15 (1 green)
                      pinakboy - 1+1+0 = 2 (1 green)
                      Palolo Joe - 1+1+4 = 0 (1 red) - see note #2
                      LikaNui - 1+4+4 = 9 (1 green)
                      sinjin - 1+0+1 = 2 (1 green)
                      btwnc2c - 1+0+3 = 4 (1 green)
                      Mokihana - 1+1+5 = 6 (1 green)
                      Stephen - 1+0+0 = 1 (1 green)
                      Tiger Beer - 1+0+0 = 1 (1 green)

Note #1: I think the admin account has a set level that is not influenced by the post and time bonus that the rest of us has. I am guess it's at 4 but I don't know if it's valid or not.

Note #2: If Palolo Joe had a green square then his reputation power point would be at 6, but since he has a red square any reputation he awards to anyone will be zero (and hence will show up as a grey square).

The FAQ also states that there is another bonus. For every 50 reputation points you get from other members your reputation power point goes up by 1. I didn't factor those bonuses in the above list.

and that other users can only affect my score +1 or -1 within a 24-hour period?
                      The reason why I am quoting this passage again is because I need to say while a user can only give their reputation power points to a post only once, other users can give their reputation power points to that same post, and there is no time restrictions on that. But once those users give their reputation power point to that post, that's it, it's done.
                      Last edited by helen; July 29, 2005, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Mahalo, Helen, for taking the time to post such a detailed and thorough explanation!

Comment

Mahalo, Helen, for taking the time to post...

yea thanks. helps me unnastand it more. But the rep points system still confusing in it's intent and is so open to abuse;
                          lately, thru it, I was called a mormon with a red mark, and another red mark in response to my post on Jamba juice's use of King Kamehameha's personal war god in their merchandise/decor... and the c.s. writes: "You complain of images being misused while you choose different ones to misuse." where's the integrity in that? No sense of standing up for their beliefs as vacuous as they may be... by discussing it in the forum. Simply their peashooter potshot performed in a lowlife anonymous manner which sez; they hide behind the outhouse wallowing in their own effluvia and have no thoughts of their own, but they disagree with my perspective and will punish me if they can, for their lack of mental wherewithall and acuity. Like an insignificant insect buzzing around that will soon be forgotten, they try to leave a mark in the most unproductive way.
                          Oh... and no, this is not a complaint. Simply an observation of the human animal that, at worse, is just slightly entertaining...
                          Last edited by kimo55; July 30, 2005, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I've gotten a grey box(?) and a red one in my reputation list. But don't know what was disagreed with in the respective posts so have no way to address the concern at hand. Truthfully I prefer when I was just an unknown quantity.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
                              I've gotten a grey box(?) and a red one in my reputation list. But don't know what was disagreed with in the respective posts so have no way to address the concern at hand. Truthfully I prefer when I was just an unknown quantity.
                              I found out da grey box is a bad mark given to a post by someone who has a minus reputation or no reputation at all; that means, those don't count against your "reputation" (whateva that means).

I figga if you feel secure in your own skin, small manini mosquito bites lidat no mean anyting as long as what you posting are your own thoughts and opinions. Posting is a way to express yourself, so don't be intimidated. I believe most of the people at HT are sincere and honorable.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                I found out da grey box is a bad mark given to a post by someone who has a minus reputation or no reputation at all; that means, those don't count against your "reputation" (whateva that means).
                                While a grey box is a neutral mark, neither good or bad, the value of that reputation is zero. It doesn't change your reputation score. All it does mean is that the person who attempted to give you reputation is ineligible to give reputation, either because their own reputation score is less than 10 or their post count is less than 10.
                                Last edited by helen; July 31, 2005, 10:54 AM. Reason: added a word that I missed

Comment

Working...
                                X