Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating a move...HELP!

Hey Everyone,

I am contemplating a move to Hawaii - Oahu specific. I'm young & decided if I was going to do something drastic, now is the time...or within the next year. I have been to Oahu 3-4 times & love it & it would definitely be different from Tennessee, where I currently in .

I am looking for input or help. I have scoured past threads concerning moving, which have been extremely helpful, but have additional questions.

A little about me first & my timeline.
    I am single & have no debt other than a car payment of 150 a month, which I plan to have paid off prior to the move. I do have a mortgage but that would be gone prior to the move.

I am a government employee & can (hopefully) get a job with my agency. I would NOT be moving without a job secured (I've read all the posts strongly discouraging people with a hope and a dream only from moving out there!)
    I would be making approximately $70,000 a year.

I am hoping to move by next summer. I want a year to get everything in order & hopefully save some money (& convince my mother I am not crazy!)

First, could I live in the Honolulu area on this amount? It seems like a lot here, but I know things are about 2x more expensive there. The office I would be working at would be right downtown on Ala Moana Blvd. What suggestions would you have for living locations? I am up for rental or purchase, condo or home. I can work from home & would probably only have to go to the office 1 day a week. Therefore, could I live in outlying areas that are cheaper and make the commute, since it would not be everyday?

I am trying to figure finances & can see what rental prices are like. How about other expenses? Here is what I pay now. I am thinking of condo.
    Cable - 80
    Telephone - 25
    Cell - 40
    Utilities - 250
    Car Insurance - 100 (I drive a newer Honda Accord)
    Gas - 140 (4 fill-ups a month - 13 gallon tank)

Are there other expenses for Hawaii that would not be usual in rural areas? Monthly parking at home?

I'm sure I have many other questions, but these are some of my first thoughts. As like everyone else, money sure is a factor.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Contemplating a move...HELP!

I'd be willing to answer your questions but first I have a question of my own to to ask you, You got blue eyes?

Comment

At $70k I don't think you'll have much of a problem renting in Honolulu where you will be working.

What is your mortgage payments now? One of the bigger incidentals you will be paying for will be food. If you don't eat out often, your salary you mentioned will carry you fairly well considering it's just yourself.

Some families here make less than that combined and make ends meet with little struggle. For you if you can afford to live in town that will save on commute time and gas, both which are frustrating and expensive here.

Welcome to Hawaii
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks for the replys...

Unfortunately, they're brown, not blue

Right now my mortgage payment is 1200 a month. I'm thinking of trying to find something for 1700 a month. The COLA I would get would be about 6,000 more a year which equates to 500 a month (tax free). So, if I could find something for 1700 or less, I should be ok...

But it is amazing. I live in a 3B/2Ba, 1800 square foot 1/2 acre, all brick for 199,000. There I can get a 400 sq. foot condo!

Also, have to figure in Hawaii state income tax. Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax.

So you think it would still be better to live in the city if that is where the office is located. I do remember how bad that traffic was. It takes me about 45 minutes to commute now, so I can handle some commuting. Where would be some cheaper areas & how far would they be from downtown?

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
          I'd be willing to answer your questions but first I have a question of my own to to ask you, You got blue eyes?
          Jeez, Keanu! tsk! tsk!

K_K, you are in an enviable (by many!) position...very decent salary, no dependents, no debt, can work from home. The need to go into the office only once a week leaves you with the ability to live anywhere on the island you like. If you already have a favorite area, try living there and see how you like it.

I don't especially like paying for someone else's mortgage but if I was in your shoes I'd rent for a minimum of 6 months first in order to get the "lay of the land". See how you like living in Hawaii (not everyone likes it, ya know!), find your favorite area then buy a condo there. That said, if you end up changing jobs, are expected in an office 5 days a week and bought a condo at the opposite end of the island...well...you'll hate the traffic!

As Craig mentioned, food is more expensive. If you won't be traveling much then seasonal clothing will be less expensive. By working at home your work attire can be kept to a minimum...board shorts, t-shirts and flip flops!!!

If you will be travelling somewhat frequently to visit family then be sure to factor those expenses into your budget. You'll need to get on a plane for any destination further than an hour and a half's drive!

It sounds like you're doing your homework. Good luck with your plans.

Comment

Well heck if you have to go into the office once a week then you should consider buying a home out here in Keaau on the Big Island and flying in when you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Well heck if you have to go into the office once a week then you should consider buying a home out here in Keaau on the Big Island and flying in when you need to.
              Got one in mind, Craig?!

Comment

Well, I am going to apply for the job that's open there...We'll see what happens.

Another question - Has anyone transported their pets from the mainland? I've read the thread that gives the basic, but was just wondering if someone could share their actual experience. I am looking to move two dachshunds with me.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by kool_kat View Post
                  [...]I am looking to move two dachshunds with me.[...]
                  Aaaaah...dachsies! When I was a kid Trinket and Gussie were my best friends for several years!

If you haven't done so already, be sure to search in this forum for the degree of difficulty in renting when you have animals.

Comment

What branch of the Govt. are you with?
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Got one in mind, Craig?!
                      Actually I got some bad news for you Tutusue...I'm staying here on the Big Island after all. My wife and I thought about it and decided that we had to be on drugs when we decided to want to come back to Oahu.

The clincher was when my mother in law (from Wahiawa) and all the relatives from Oahu came to our home for my 18-year old's grad party and was floored at our home and how much we bought it for.

One thing about Oahu that I hated was the condition of the roadways and how dirty the streets were. Trash blowing everywhere. Hawaii County does a pretty good job of keeping the streets clean and well-paved here. And the parks! OMG the grass is always mowed at least every other day and the restroom facilities are clean!

Now I do understand there are a gazillion more people on Oahu than on the Big Island and that's precisely why I moved here...it's less crowded and much slower paced than Honolulu. And you don't have to pay for parking!

No I'm keeping my house afterall but there are still a ton of great properties out here for a great bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        The need to go into the office only once a week leaves you with the ability to live anywhere on the island you like.
                        I'll second that. As you can imagine, it's all a trade-off. You can find something in walking distance of the office, but you'll have to live in the city, or you can find something "country" and have to put up with a longer commute. There's no wrong answer. It's all in what YOU want.

Comment

Tattrat - I'm with the Department of Treasury. Do you work for the gov't? If so, who?

I definitely like the idea of renting first, but am concerned about my dogs. I can leave them with my mom for a while if I needed to, but would really miss them. I'm not wild about having to have an "identification chip" implanted into them, but it looks like that is the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by kool_kat View Post
                            Tattrat - I'm with the Department of Treasury. Do you work for the gov't? If so, who?

I definitely like the idea of renting first, but am concerned about my dogs. I can leave them with my mom for a while if I needed to, but would really miss them. I'm not wild about having to have an "identification chip" implanted into them, but it looks like that is the only way.
                            Nah, K_k not me. Mrs.TATT does though, she is a soon to be GS13 and works at the Pentagon for the financial department of the Marine Corps. She will be working at Ft.Smith(I think) upon our arrival on Oahu in September.

Best of luck on getting the job! Sounds like you are already getting your ducks in a row
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Wow Tat - she sounds important!

What all are doing to get ready for the move? Are you moving permanently or temporarily? Do you have to secure you own home or live on-base (or is that just for actual military?)

My dad is in the Navy reserves & was stationed in Hawaii for a couple of years. He had to travel back and forth between there and Hawaii. That's how I was able to go to Hawaii 3-4 times before. He was wanting to become active duty for a couple of years & live in Hawaii, but couldn't convince my mom.

Do civilian military workers get access to the PX & commisary? The PX in Hawaii is one of the nicest, if not the nicest, PX's I have ever been too.

Comment

Working...
                              X