Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contemplating a move...HELP!

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Actually I got some bad news for you Tutusue...I'm staying here on the Big Island after all.[...]
    Bummers...so much for my much anticipated, great customer service experience at Home Depot Iwilei!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Bummers...so much for my much anticipated, great customer service experience at Home Depot Iwilei!
      You'll just have to move to Hilo for that experience I guess

Actually there are a lot of good sales associates that work at Home Depot. Iwilei is the third highest grossing sales store in the country and customers who frequent a particular HD will search out a certain associate, sometimes even calling in to see if they're working that day. I get that all the time and I find myself constantly repeating my hours I work and the days too to repeat customers.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Kool Kat, "civilian Military workers?" Do you mean contractors that work on base fulltime? If so, no they don't.

I do have a dear friend that was an air traffic controller on Guam many years ago and he said that he did, which was news to me, but I do know that just because someone works on base in Hawaii doesn't get them the military card priveleges to shop on it.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

kool kat--

really quick reply here for now; if you want details PM me bcs i'm happy to provide you with more info.

i live on piikoi street near wilder avenue. piikoi intersects with ala moana blvd. depending on what part of ala moana blvd you work at (and i can take a guess), you'd be in the office w/in 15 minutes if you lived near me.

i currently rent a 10th floor apt with a decent view of diamond head. you can see the ocean from my balcony, though i wouldn't say i have an "ocean view." anyway, my 1 bedroom w/secure entry, secure parking, night time guard, a great resident manager, approx 600 square feet, water & electricity included costs $1000 per month. i pay for digital cable and cable modem. i don't bother with a landline and depend solely on my celly.

if it's only you and your babies, i wouldn't bother getting a place outside of town. traffic is miserable and the cost saving you'd have with cheaper rent i think isn't worth the misery and wear/tear on your vehicle.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Ericncyn - Thanks for the info. Right now I am still really far from moving, but will check it out if it happens.

Are you able to have pets? Most of the stuff I am looking at doesn't want pets, but I definitely will be bringing them.

My goal is to move within the next year (by the end of next summer) But of course, there are a lot of variables the biggest one is securing a job first.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              [...]i wouldn't bother getting a place outside of town. traffic is miserable and the cost saving you'd have with cheaper rent i think isn't worth the misery and wear/tear on your vehicle.
              Keep in mind that K_K anticipates going into the office only one day a week. That's why the suggestions to live anywhere on the island she desires. She has options...lucky girl!!!

Comment

Of course, I've got to get the job before I have those options. It's probably a long shot, but if it doesn't work out, I'll just keep my out for other jobs.

I'll throw out another question for everyone. If jobs and traffic weren't a factor and you could live anywhere on the island, where would it be? ..and why? Are there good/bad parts of the island? I'm sure there are just like everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by kool_kat View Post
                  I'll throw out another question for everyone. If jobs and traffic weren't a factor and you could live anywhere on the island, where would it be? ..and why?
                  Given my choice, it would be an older neighborhood that doesn't have CC&R (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions). It would also be not too far from things but still allows a small yard. Also nice and cool. Not too close to the beach because I'm not a beach person and things rust out too fast.

I'd probably start looking in the upper Makiki/Manoa area or Kailua/Kaneohe.

Comment

Manoa may not have covenants but their neighborhood board does impose some pretty strict restrictions on how high up the valley you can build and if you can chop down that tree in your front yard.

East Honolulu...no doubt is a good district with little to no covenants but a respect to the landscape architecture as to not allow shabby yards strewn with decomposing car/car parts.

This district primarily in the area surrounding Kahala Mall is where I'd consider to be the best area to take advantage of Honolulu without having to be right in the middle of it and it's urban woes. Close enough to the city's infrastructure yet isolated enough to feel the peace and quiet without the traffic to get there and back.

Benefits:
                    1) Kaimuki Hill and Diamond Head subdues the urbanism of Honolulu and tames the afternoon sun's heat.

2) Three routes in and out of East Honolulu that lead directly into the urban core of the city and all are accessable via car, bus or bicycle and even taxi with lower rates than out of Kapolei or Windward Oahu.

3) One route that takes you around the windward side back into Honolulu, so there are actually four routes into the urban core of Honolulu.

4) Respectably quiet neighborhoods

5) Streets are wide (unlike Manoa) getting in and out.

6) No UH mess to worry about (unlike Manoa).

7) No traffic hassles (unlike everything west of downtown Honolulu or Mauka of Kapiolani Blvd), unless you live past Waialae Nui Valley.

8) Weather is fairly moderate (unlike rainy Manoa or hot Kapolei)

9) Great schools from pre schools to public elementary, middle and high schools with UH Manoa, Kapiolani Community College and Chaminade University within bus/bike range.

10) Air conditioned shopping/entertainment (Kahala Mall) with a Costco in Hawaii Kai.

11) Excellent professional services with several professional complexes surrounding the Kahala/Kaimuki area.

12) Good bus routes including the Circle Island bus route.

13) Well maintained parks including Kapiolani Park within a few miles of Kahala Mall.

14) Queens hospital is a freeway onramp and offramp away (Waialae on ramp...Vinyard off ramp)

East Honolulu surrounding Kahala Mall is cool, quiet, comfortable, respectable, close to the urban core yet Diamond Head and Kaimuki Hill isolates it from the rat race of Honolulu. And great zip code: 96816

One of the great things about East Honolulu is it's established network of professionals that live in this area. If you're an up and coming professional, having your child and your boss' boss' child in the same soccer or little league/pony team is advantageous. With Hawaii Loa Ridge, Waialae Iki IV ridge, Portlock, and of course Kahala districts within your neighborhoods, you will definately have a greater exposure off the clock with those who can promote your career even if it's as simple as a Saturday at Long's drugs or having the same dentist in the Kahala Professional Building (Dr. Wong).

Okay that all said I am a bit biased because I grew up in Waialae Nui Valley and raised my family in Kaimuki on 18th Avenue I'm towny...or at least was...now I'm boony out here in Keaau on the Big Island and loving it.
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 21, 2007, 12:10 AM.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      [...]East Honolulu surrounding Kahala Mall is cool, quiet, comfortable, respectable, close to the urban core yet Diamond Head and Kaimuki Hill isolates it from the rat race of Honolulu.[...]
                      Yes, a great area and location but...very expensive!

Comment

Ericncyn - Thanks for the info. Right now I am still really far from moving, but will check it out if it happens.

Are you able to have pets? Most of the stuff I am looking at doesn't want pets, but I definitely will be bringing them.

My goal is to move within the next year (by the end of next summer) But of course, there are a lot of variables the biggest one is securing a job first.

Kathryn
                        My building doesn't allow pets but there are other, just as nice or nicer ones that do. My boss lives in one not far from me.

I'd agree with what craig says--the beau lives in Kaimuki on the hill. I'd also say Makiki-Tantalus (the area I live) if you don't mind condo living, Nuuanu (mix of both condo and house living), St. Louis Heights (if you like living on a mountain and don't mind having your car do a steep climb every day but your home will have a great view and it'll be cool even in the summer) and Alewa Heights (ditto what I said about St. Louis Heights) are are great choices for your demographic.

Tutusue is right--it is expensive, but if you're debt free and make as much as you say, you'll be more than okay.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Well, Just an update.

The job I applied for was cancelled - that's the government for you. Must have been some type of budgeting issue. So anyways, my dreams of moving to Hawaii have been pushed back a little, until another job opens up there.

But...I did just find out that I am going to get to come to Oahu for week in October! I'm looking for some suggestions of things to do. We've already done the typical attractions on Oahu, & was jus wondering if anybody had any other suggestions for something to do off the beaten path.

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn
                            It will be a challenge to find a place that will accept one pet, let alone two. In my experience, the Big Island was a lot more pet friendly (Doggie Day Care and weekend stays for trips to Oahu, etc.) with respect to rentals and other services. We were able to rent a 3 bedroom house, and have an indoor Lab and Pit Bull (they were very house trained as pups, and would have been offended had we opted for them to live in an outdoor kennel!).

A few years ago I needed to transport our dog to Hawaii. I followed all of the procedures, http://www.hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info and it was rather quick and painless. I lived in Texas at the time, so I drove to Las Vegas and after spending some time there continued on to Los Angeles where we both boarded a Continental Airlines flight to HNL. By the time I got my bags, drove to the Cargo area, he was already waiting, tail wagging.
                            ___
                            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                            X