Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New Establishments

Default Re: New Establishments

There's a new burger joint accross from Times on Beretania St., American Burger Co., or similar, next to Beretania Flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post

Judging just by the names alone, I'm a little skeptical these will catch on. Then again, I was skeptical Buffalo Wild Wings in the Discovery Bay Center in Waikiki would catch on, but the place PACKS A CROWD! Boy, do they pack 'em in on football weekends. Crazy busy.
    Those of us who are loyal fans of the B-dubs (original opened in OH!) would never forsake it if it came here. Back in the day I used to not allow people to stay at my place if they were visiting HI unless they provided two things: Bath and Bodyworks lotions AND the Blazin' sauce from B-dubs. Unfortunately it has a tendency to separate on the plane (the Blazin' I mean). I was so happy it opened in HI...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    There's a new burger joint accross from Times on Beretania St., American Burger Co., or similar, next to Beretania Flowers.
    Saw one of my pals post a pic of a burger from there. Wondering if they only serve beef burgers or if there are other burger options?

Honolulu Burger Co.

Noticed they are building a Panda Express on South King Street between Kaheka Street and Kalakaua Aveuve. Seems to have a drive thru window too.

I don't know when it started operations but that Panda Express location on South King Street is now open.

Has anyone tried Jollibee yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
    Has anyone tried Jollibee yet?
    Not yet, but I sure will as soon as possible. I'm just waiting for the newness to wear off a bit - lines are still 45 minutes long at almost all hours.
    They're considering opening more locations here. Hooray!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Has anybody been to Da Falafel King in Waikiki? I've heard great things, but I've yet to try it myself...

Adding to the growing truck brigade of wonderful food is Camille's on Wheels. I had a terrific lunch there yesterday. Her location is on Kapaa Quarry Rd. in the All Pool & Spa parking lot which also adjoins Tropical Clay, King & Zelko and Bali Boo amongst other industrial bays there. She was serving up kalbi tacos, shoyu tacos, roast pork tacos, salmon tacos with some incredible sides. I chose both the shoyu and a kalbii both were juicy with the right amount of "crisp" on the outside.
    Double soft taco shells encase the meat with cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes a great sauce and cilantro.
    A triumph for the taste buds was her side of quinoa/cashew/raisins was just the best way to complement the tacos as well as the side of black beans and rice. She also had blue velvet cupcakes which made me think of Bobby Vinton and his hit song........She is also found at the front of Hardware Hawaii in Kailua which is where she is today. I am going again next week!

Smile Re: New Establishments

http://www.tasteofaloha.com/restaurants/jin+din+rou

I ate at this chain in Shanghai. I like it. Looking forward to eating there.
    You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    Adding to the growing truck brigade of wonderful food is Camille's on Wheels. I had a terrific lunch there yesterday. Her location is on Kapaa Quarry Rd.[...]She is also found at the front of Hardware Hawaii in Kailua which is where she is today.[...]
    For the time being she's going to stay with the Hardware Hawaii location. She prefers it to Kapaa Quarry Rd.

Today I had a shoyu chicken taco and a vegetarian (portabello mushroom) taco with a side of spicy rice. The tortillas are homemade. It was all yum!

Camille can be followed on Facebook and Twitter.

I saw on last night's K-5 news that Koa Pancake House has just opened a new branch in Hawaii Kai, in the same shopping center as Costco and Ross.
    That reminded me that I hadn't eaten at the original Koa here in Kaneohe for a while, so I had breakfast there this morning -- spinach omelette and home fries. And it was, of course, YUM.

Went to a Chinese Restaurant in Ala Moana Mall today. Name is Jade Dynasty. Located in a space formerly occupied by Osho. Went to Osho once or maybe twice and never felt the urge to return. Osho was alright and I felt if I was on vacation and ate there I would consider it a cool experience of eating in a Japanese restaurant in Hawaii. But it was actually kind of pedestrian.

Jade Dynasty calls itself a seafood restaurant but I went there for the dim sum. It was all pretty good.They make it when you order it and bring it to the table promptly despite being very busy. I recommend reservations as we showed up without one and had a 15 to twenty minute wait. Very comfortable, ornately decorated and very reasonably priced. Prices are comparable to the crowded, noisy, spartan dim sum houses in Chinatown.

I am looking forward to dining at the Jade Dynasty again soon. Plan to phone ahead and make a reservation next time.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    I saw on last night's K-5 news that Koa Pancake House has just opened a new branch in Hawaii Kai, in the same shopping center as Costco and Ross.
    That reminded me that I hadn't eaten at the original Koa here in Kaneohe for a while, so I had breakfast there this morning -- spinach omelette and home fries. And it was, of course, YUM.
    What else is good there? I've never been and been in Kaneohe for 18 years!

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    What else is good there? I've never been and been in Kaneohe for 18 years!
    Koa Pancake House closes at 2pm daily, so go for breakfast or lunch. Early breakfast can be crowded, so I try to go between 10am and noon and usually get right in. Weekends are especially crowded.
    Everything I've eaten there has been good and I don't know your own favorite foods, so just check the menu and try it out!
    The staff has all been there for ages, and they're terrific too.

Thanks! I like most breakfast foods so most of the menu will work! I am a complete home fries nut so that is of much interest! Funny, when my parents came to visit way back in 1996 they actually ate there twice when we were working and raved about it!

Default Re: New Establishments/Jin Din Rou

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    http://www.tasteofaloha.com/restaurants/jin+din+rou

I ate at this chain in Shanghai. I liked it. Looking forward to eating there.

Name of the Place is Jin Din Rou. Drove past Kaheka and King St. yesterday and saw it is open. Haven't seen anything in the media or here about the place. Anyone?

Also this is one of my favorite threads and I felt like bumping it.

I've been back to Jade Dynasty at Ala Moana and still like that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Name of the Place is Jin Din Rou. Drove past Kaheka and King St. yesterday and saw it is open. Haven't seen anything in the media or here about the place. Anyone?
    Heard mixed reviews so far. The general opinion was to wait until the place had a chance to settle in, get all their menu items available, etc.

One review I've seen so far:
    http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hono...-Rou-Honolulu/

Various Yelp reviewers:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/jin-din-rou-honolulu

Has anybody been to Bernini Honolulu yet?

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
    Heard mixed reviews so far. The general opinion was to wait until the place had a chance to settle in, get all their menu items available, etc.

One review I've seen so far:
    http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hono...-Rou-Honolulu/

Various Yelp reviewers:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/jin-din-rou-honolulu
    OK, I went there. Dumplings are good enough but some other items were not very good. Could see going there to kill time with a few dumplings if I was in the neighborhood but wouldn't make it a destination for a meal.

I've been to a couple of the new places in town like Bernini and Nanzan Giro Giro.

Unlike many Yelp reviewers, I wasn't that impressed with either place:

http://www.nomnomfoodie.com/2011/04/28/bernini/

http://www.nomnomfoodie.com/2011/05/09/nanzan-girogiro/

You can take a look at either of my blog posts above for a detailed breakdown of my experience.
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Something new. I was coming back from my morning run when I was surprised to see a new place opening in what was once Yugen, a somewhat upscale Japanese restaurant across from Keeaumoku Walgreen’s. Kickin Kajun seemed to have replaced it overnight. Sign says it opens 4/23/2012, and features crawfish and other shellfish, including blue crab and three types of oysters. Seems this is part of the crawfish trend that’s sprouting up around Honolulu. Never had crawfish before. Caught them “small keed time” but never ate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    Never had crawfish before. Caught them “small keed time” but never ate them.
    It's the seafood version of chicken wings, the newest contender for biggest fraud in the epicurian world.

The crayfish look like little lobsters.
    They can inhabit freshwater creeks.
    I've seen them in very small creeks.
    Properly fried , they can be very tasty.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast