Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 182

Thread: New Establishments

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default New Establishments

    While we continue to discuss those disappearing establishments, it's also important to note those new establishments that take their place. Or any new restaurant or related business that you've heard about, seen or visited. Here's the place to discuss them.

    Here's the former Jack in the Box in Waikiki on the corner of McCully and Kalakaua Ave...



    And here's the new establishment...



    It appears the only name they go by is
    Japanese
    Chinese
    American
    Buffet


    Which sounds more like a description of the restaurant than their business name. I don't know. Haven't walked in yet. They appear to have been steady with business ever since opening up. Easy to understand with the price listing on the window which states "All You Can Eat" & "All You Can Drink" @ $7.99 for breakfast, $9.99 for lunch and $11.99 for dinner. When they first finished the renovations, the entire building was painted that hideous pink color. Probably someone complained, so now the only pink remaining is under that gazebo near the entrance.

    Today I also spotted a new Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on the corner of Monsarrat Ave. and Cambell Ave (Diamond Head/Kapahulu area, across the street from the former Burgerland). It's a newly-built stand-alone establishment that used to be a gas station. Looks like they're trying to beat those "Star Guys" to the punch, getting that precious corner-lot space. It was open for business, although the lot was empty. I'm sure they get busy during the morning and after-dinner hours.

    On a side note, today I got my Ahi-Ogo Poke at Aina Haina Foodland then sat down and enjoyed it at Kahala Beach. It was an absolutely GORGEOUS beach day. Gorgeous.
    Last edited by Pomai; June 17th, 2007 at 04:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: New Establishments



    Don't wanna be jumpin the gun but the new place looks
    howshouldisay


    TACKY?



    I will always remember it as JACQUE IN THE BOX

  3. #3

    Default Re: New Establishments

    One thing I've noticed about new independent "mom & pop" startups that take over former fast food locations. They usually leave the fast food architecture intact and simply provide a new coat of paint and some minor tweaks, that's it. Guess when you don't have a huge budget, architecture becomes second priority. I've seen former Taco Bell locations become Pho places. Kinda wierd eating Asian cuisine in a Hacienda-style joint.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    One thing I've noticed about new independent "mom & pop" startups that take over former fast food locations. They usually leave the fast food architecture intact and simply provide a new coat of paint and some minor tweaks, that's it. Guess when you don't have a huge budget, architecture becomes second priority. I've seen former Taco Bell locations become Pho places. Kinda wierd eating Asian cuisine in a Hacienda-style joint.
    I totally agree. Boston's North end Pizza did the same thing when they took over a few former Pizza Hut Restaurants around the island. But at least that was along the same theme.

    Reminds me of the movie Coming to America, where they had a "McDowell's".

    Legalities aside, imagine if these chinese buffet folks at this former Waikiki Jack in the Box location named the place "Jacky Chan in the Box".

    With offerings like the "Lup Cheong Jack" and "Schezuan Seasoned Curly Fries".

    With their mascot being the Jack CEO, but instead of round eyes, they would be slanted, with a "Fu Man Chu" goatie. lol

  5. #5

    Default Re: New Establishments

    I think I'll pass on Jack's Lup Cheong, just doesn't sound right.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: New Establishments

    What's with the pink paint?

    Oh, I'm sorry. "Hot Pink."

  7. #7

    Default Re: New Establishments

    I wonder if any of them remember when Jack Cione brought in a bunch of pigs and was raising them on that property? Waaaay back.
    Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

  8. #8

    Default Re: New Establishments

    for all u Nico's fans...here's another place for you to try!!

    http://www.khon2.com/news/local/8101297.html

    don't forget to click on the video!

  9. #9

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Today I also spotted a new Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on the corner of Monsarrat Ave. and Cambell Ave (Diamond Head/Kapahulu area, across the street from the former Burgerland). It's a newly-built stand-alone establishment that used to be a gas station. Looks like they're trying to beat those "Star Guys" to the punch, getting that precious corner-lot space. It was open for business, although the lot was empty. I'm sure they get busy during the morning and after-dinner hours.

    On a side note, today I got my Ahi-Ogo Poke at Aina Haina Foodland then sat down and enjoyed it at Kahala Beach. It was an absolutely GORGEOUS beach day. Gorgeous.
    Regarding Starbux and Coffee Bean....

    What's your guys' take on one vs the other ?

    For my basic everyday addiction....triple espresso over lots of ice...SBux all the way. But when I want a blended icy treat...Coffee Bean's ice blended are better to me than the SBux Frappacinos. Their Black Forest ice blended is super ono....ice, espresso, mocha mix, chocolate covered espresso beans, and marashino cherries, blended up and topped with whipped cream. SO good.

    Their ice blended vanilla is great too.

  10. #10

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
    Regarding Starbux and Coffee Bean....

    What's your guys' take on one vs the other ?

    For my basic everyday addiction....triple espresso over lots of ice...SBux all the way. But when I want a blended icy treat...Coffee Bean's ice blended are better to me than the SBux Frappacinos. Their Black Forest ice blended is super ono....ice, espresso, mocha mix, chocolate covered espresso beans, and marashino cherries, blended up and topped with whipped cream. SO good.

    Their ice blended vanilla is great too.

    after trying other coffee places around here..i have discovered that SBux makes coffee flavored milk :P

  11. #11

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by CranBeree View Post
    after trying other coffee places around here..i have discovered that SBux makes coffee flavored milk :P

    I am SO out of the loop.

    Gimme the trucker's coffee---7-11. Lotsa caffeine, fix it yourself stuff.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by CranBeree View Post
    for all u Nico's fans...here's another place for you to try!!

    http://www.khon2.com/news/local/8101297.html

    don't forget to click on the video!
    Mahalo for the tip Cran'! I watched the whole video. Long one!

    When I drove by Nimitz yesterday I noticed the "Uncle’s Fish Market and Grill" banner. So they'll open next week Wednesday. Nicely done place.

    GRILL. FLAMES. Teriyaki Fish Burgers. 11 oz. Opah. Ono. OMG! Plus fish 'n chips made with your choice of FRESH fish. Reminds me of Alexander's in Kihei. In fact, the owner apparently is from Maui.

    They even have an "Ahi room". Get a load of that! I want one of those.

    I imagine the menu prices might get steep ("based on market value"), but hopefully it will be within reason to go for a typical day's lunch.

    '

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: New Establishments

    I watched the Video dat Cran put up on onnada Forum.

    I wuz so excited, I rushed into my room and got ready while PK watch the rest of the Video. He was too excited to realize it will open next week. We went to Uncle's. And soon learned the place wuz CLOSED!

    HAHAHAHAHAHA

    Took pictures, will post laterz.:

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: New Establishments


    Uncle's @ Pier 38!


    In the front/left of Uncle's!

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,196

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    When I drove by Nimitz yesterday I noticed the "Uncle’s Fish Market and Grill" banner. So they'll open next week Wednesday. Nicely done place.
    That sign's been there for more than a month. I'll give it a try, but it's going to be tough to beat Nico's.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Auntie, you should've shook and pounded on the door and yelled, "Let me in, gunfunnit! Do you know who I am? I'm Auntie Lynn.. da' beautiful and honorable Princess and Queen of Honolulu's Chinatown!"

    'Den invite all us folks heah at HT fo' one pre-opening sample of da' grilled fish action!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post

    Uncle's @ Pier 38!

    Auntie Lynn

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Auntie, you should've shook and pounded on the door and yelled through, "Let me in, gunfunnit! Do you know who I am? I'm Auntie Lynn.. da' beautiful and honorable Princess and Queen of Honolulu's Chinatown!"

    'Den invite all us folks heah at HT fo' one pre-opening sample of da' grilled fish action!
    I did...I pounded dee door!!! PK got sked. HAHAHAHAHA

    We walked around and found Nico's. We'll be going back there to try it too. I was disappointed Uncle's wasn't opened. We went to McDonald's instead.hehehe On our way home, we stopped at HCC and bought Huli Huli Chicken.

    On the stove I'm making Spaghetti with Italian Sausage. I go take picture wen pau!

    Auntie Lynn

    btw: I'm neither a Queen, Princess and Beautiful! I'm just ME!! Auntie PuPule!!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; June 23rd, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Re: Uncle’s Fish Market and Grill, opening on Wednesday, June 27th at Pier 38
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    That sign's been there for more than a month. I'll give it a try, but it's going to be tough to beat Nico's.
    Goes to show how often I drive west-bound past the greater downtown area.

    I've never been to Nico's. Attempted once, but it was so busy, we drove off for Bob's Bar-B-Que up the street. What's recommended at Nico's?

    I'm also curious how this Pier 38 area thrives during dinner and late-night hours. Seems somewhat risky if your business model mostly depends on the work-week breakfast and lunch hour rush. Especially being tucked away in industrial Kalihi -- waterfront location notwithstanding.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,196

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    I've never been to Nico's. Attempted once, but it was so busy, we drove off for Bob's Bar-B-Que up the street. What's recommended at Nico's?
    I eat there two or three times per week. It's all good. Get the catch of the day or the furikake ahi. I took a visitor there once, and he had the fish and chips and really liked it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  20. #20

    Default Re: New Establishments

    the ahi belly and calamari salad is good at Nico's.

    oh and does it really matter cuz Nico's gets their fish the same place as Uncle's. so i think its more of a different style of cooking/menu.

    and the biggest difference is you have either a choice out outdoor/indoor seating as opposed to just outside seating.

    just a few observations, mind you.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: New Establishments

    Sighted last night at Waikiki Beach Walk on Lewers, a new restaurant named Holokai Grill on the top floor. Big place. What's with the big screen plasma TVs in every restaurant nowadays? They all wanna' be sports bars too, or what? Otherwise nice looking place. See link for menu.

    Also recently opened right next door to Holokai Grill is Ruth's Chris Steak House. Very elegant setting.

    Had a nightcap at the Yard House. Pretty busy for a Sunday night.

  22. #22

    Default Re: New Establishments

    As Pomai notes, there are a slew of new places to eat in town including Persian, Jamaican and a new Chinese restaurant at Westridge in Aiea. Trying to keep up with all of them, I created a new category for easy viewing. Freshly opened restaurants.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Re: New Establishments

    i should have known you guys on top of everything! was planning to eat at nico's but saw that uncle's was open so i had lunch there and took some pictures to let everyone know but you guys are way ahead of me.

    overall, i'd say the food was good but i'm not particularly impressed. i think i'm too picky. i had the seafood pasta and poke. a little pricey: about $14 for the pasta. i didn't order one but i recall that the burger was about $8.50. i think most dishes run around $14.

    there are a lot of other dishes that i didn't sample so i'll leave it up to you guys to try and test.

    i did like the tv screens with scenes of stuff like tuna fishing.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

  24. #24

    Default Re: New Establishments

    has anyone else eaten at Uncle's? wanna see what the reviews say before i eat there.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default New Establishments: Roy's Waikiki

    Quote Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
    Trying to keep up with all of them, I created a new category for easy viewing. Freshly opened restaurants.
    Thanks to your wonderful article about the Mock Dinner at Roy's Waikiki over at HawaiiDiner.com, we decided to try it.

    OMG, it was OFF THE CHARTS!

    Here's a few dishes...


    Macadamia Nut Crusted Monchong with Main Lobster Cream Sauce


    Slow Braised and Broiled Short Ribs of Beef


    Complimentary Birthday Parfait

    More at my blog link...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •