Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Establishments: Shakey's

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    The one at Ke'eaumoku and Rycroft was probably the busiest Shakey's.
    My "townie" source said the still-existing building that Sorabol is now in was Shakey's. If go to Google Earth/Map 'Street View' and look at Sorabol from the street, he points out where Shakey's original front entrance steps were, which is surrounded by a stone facade.

I have fond memories of Shakey's too, back in the day. But nostalgia only goes so far in sustaining a business in a changing marketplace. One need only look at the limited success that Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour has had since it re-emerged in Hawaii several years ago.

What's next? Will Pioneer Chicken make a comeback?
    Well, Church's Fried Chicken tried making a comeback in Waikiki recently, and didn't last more than a year in the Waikiki Shopping Plaza before closing their doors.
    Last edited by Pomai; February 11, 2010, 09:27 AM. Reason: shopping, not business plaza
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[quote=
      "West Side" sources tell me they remember the former Pearl City Shakey's was located on Kamehameha highway, right around where the current Pearl City Zippy's is, next to Don Quijote.

Although I'm from Kalihi I recall the Pearl City Shakey's being on the makai side where Pearl Kai is now.
      Same decor that you described, long bench tables, pitchers of dark or light beer and music.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post

Although I'm from Kalihi I recall the Pearl City Shakey's being on the makai side where Pearl Kai is now.
        Same decor that you described, long bench tables, pitchers of dark or light beer and music.
        My other "west side" sources confirm you're right. My other source was mistaken.

They said Pearl City Shakey's was where Chevron gas station now is right up the street from Pearl Kai Shopping Center on the Makai side. Does that sound about right?
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: New Establishments

Pomai gets the "prize," because Sorabol was mentioned. I always think of that as the "main" Shakey's because colleagues and I got invited to the grand opening and it was real close to work - maybe too close for the waistline.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            My other "west side" sources confirm you're right. My other source was mistaken.

They said Pearl City Shakey's was where Chevron gas station now is right up the street from Pearl Kai Shopping Center on the Makai side. Does that sound about right?
            Sounds right to me, I also remember a wide open parking lot with bushes around it.

Comment

As far as the west-side Shakey's, yes, it was located near Pearl Kai. I remember because I grew up in Aiea. As to who was the "main" Shakey's, I don't know. But if I remember correctly, the Aiea Shakey's was the first to open in the 60s, with Keeaumoku/Rycroft following. Does the first restaurant = "main" restaurant?

Comment

I just spotted a "COMING SOON" sign put today in front of the former Jack in the Box location on Kalakaua avenue in Waikiki, at the junction where it meets Ala Moana Blvd. (near 7 Eleven and Direct ING). It says coming soon will be Prince Kuhio Pharmacy, a Good Neighbor Pharmacy company.

It will feature drive-thru and delivery service.

What upsets me is how these types of businesses occupy such prime real estate locations. An investment company and a pharmacy on such high visibility properties on Kalakaua avenue? Yeah, that's just what our visitors and locals come to Waikiki to do: get their meds and check their portfolios.

Good grief.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I saw that sign today, too, Pomai, and thought...Yay! A pharmacy in the 'hood (well, other than Longs at AMC)! A pharmacy with drive thru and delivery; better yet! My 2nd thought was...How in the heck is a drugstore going to afford Waikiki rent!!! My 3rd thought was...I wonder if it will be a Medicare provider pharmacy!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    What upsets me is how these types of businesses occupy such prime real estate locations. An investment company and a pharmacy on such high visibility properties on Kalakaua avenue? Yeah, that's just what our visitors and locals come to Waikiki to do: get their meds and check their portfolios.
                    Decades ago the City was all bussup over The Tiki Torch girly biz sitting at the 'gateway to Waikiki', and since then we've had a wonderful vacant lot there instead and a trashy looking former JITB rotting at the 'gateway' for years.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Riding TheBus down King Street this morning, I norticed a work crew cleaning up inside the former TGIF spot at the corner of Ward (across from Concert Hall). Could something be brewing?

Comment

Today I noticed work being done on a new Fresh Catch location here in Kaneohe which is a great thing! They have their first location on Waialae in Kaimuki.
                        This is where Papa John's and Blazing Steaks used to be by Pizza Hut.

Comment

Tai Pan Dim Sum in Chinese Cultural Center has expanded into the next store doubling the size of their dining room. I'll be going there more often as I enjoy their food but feel cramped in the little dining room. Problem is, the place is still full even with twice as much dining space. I think they could take over the tailor/cleaners on the other side and still fill it up. Place is a Gem. Staff is very nice. Food is delicious, and good price.
                          You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Curious to see what the new Ross in Waikiki is going to feature. Are they giong to have stuff that might be more appealing to tourists?

The Fat Greek opening near Ilikai. Looking forward to a Greek restaurant in Waikiki finally. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              Decades ago the City was all bussup over The Tiki Torch girly biz sitting at the 'gateway to Waikiki', and since then we've had a wonderful vacant lot there instead and a trashy looking former JITB rotting at the 'gateway' for years.
                              I wish Club Hubba-Hubba would re-open. It seems tourists are supposed to come to Hawaii and have fun....but NOT too much fun. Even better, put the NEW Club H-H in Waikiki. Bring the historic sign with. Tastefully done it could be a gold mine and strike a revival.

Make a smoking area at the airport already. And I'm not a smoker.
                              You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                                I wish Club Hubba-Hubba would re-open. It seems tourists are supposed to come to Hawaii and have fun....but NOT too much fun. Even better, put the NEW Club H-H in Waikiki. Bring the historic sign with. Tastefully done it could be a gold mine and strike a revival.
                                It wouldn't be Hubba Hubba anywhere else but where it is. They really do need to re-do/open it, and talk is they are, but that's been said ever since they closed the doors... If nothing else, they need to save the iconic sign, it's starting to rust up. Ah, Hubba Hubba... memories...
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X